Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

PSA: Anyone thinking of getting Apple TV: Don't!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2013 4:08:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 4:10:50 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:11:16 AM PST
Well I think there are reasons beyond this not to buy an Apple TV. By the way is this a PC only app or does it work for Mac?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:12:03 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I don't know if it works for PC, I have an iMac. I'm sure it does work for PC, but it definitely works for Mac.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:27:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 4:28:31 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Wonder if it works thru Android. I was planning on using one of those mini PC Android thingamajigs in my kids wreck room.I know I can remotely access my music and stuff from my pc thru my phone now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:32:34 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yup, works through Android, Windows Phone 7 and iOS devices.

I'm on the website looking at it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 4:55:14 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Nice. Can't beat free.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:04:09 AM PST
Totido says:
It works with 360, tablets, smart tv's and phones. It is a very cool program. I sometimes have hiccups with streaming, but I think it's my wifi signal.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:32:36 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Oh okay, I see. It's an app within the Roku store. Cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:37:51 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
plex is great. my friends have it hooked up to their main tv (through a PC). it organizes everything, and flows great! the menus all look amazing as well, and everything is done automatically when they add it to a folder.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:53:46 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The media server part has to be downloaded from plexapp.com onto your computer, then you go into the Roku Channel Store and download Plex. It did it automatically on my PS3, but on the App Store I would download the app there and sync it up so I could watch that content on my iPad 2, and it works where ever there is a WiFi signal too.

It's a great program. I would pay $50 for it easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:02:30 AM PST
Ice King says:
Does it let you play movies and TV shows you buy from iTunes?
The only advantage Apple TV has over Roku is the ability to play your iTunes library, it would be awesome if this made them playable on a Roku.

And speaking of Roku, this is an amazing device. With a subscription to a few services and Amazon instant video to fill in the gaps you could probably get rid of cable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:05:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:09:48 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
You can link plex to whatever folder has the content, and it plays all my iTunes songs without issue, so I would imagine that it would play the video content as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

I know, I got my Roku for $40 a year ago and I friggin' love it. I tried to talk my wife into dumping cable, and just paying the $40 for a lifetime sub to PlayOn, but we are only paying $11 a month for cable right now because of the deal we have with Time Warner (phone, digital hd cable and 10mbps internet) for $90. Once our contract runs out though, we're going to just keep the phone and internet for $50/month and get the PlayOn sub, plus the Amazon VoD and now that Plex allows me to stream TV shows (she wants Downton Abbey season 3) right from my computer to a tv so I don't have to burn everything to a DVD, I'm finally thinking that's a viable option.

EDIT: I'm researching your question about legally purchased content from Apple, and it seems that Apple adds DRM to it so it only plays on Apple devices. I don't think that it can work on Plex, but I haven't found out 100% for sure one way or the other. If I were you, and since Plex is free, I would just try it. It really doesn't take that long. The only lost step is to make sure that you go into your Plex app on the Roku and go to settings to link via pin your Roku to your PC. I couldn't get anything to work until I did that, but that step was missing in the instructions I was following.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:07:43 AM PST
If it wasnt for my love of sports I would get rid of cable. I wish every sports company just had a streaming package for those who want to watch it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:10:05 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
i thought about getting a roku, but after getting the wii u, i decided to keep my wii and just put it in the bedroom to use a netflix box. not worth getting 20 bucks for trading it in if i end up spending 40-50 bucks on roku

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:11:09 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
If you pay for PlayOn, which is on sale now for less than half price $40/lifetime, it has the NFL and NHL networks. You have to pay the sub for them, of course, but it does have them. Of course if you were talking about local only games, then it doesn't make sense. It really only makes sense if you already pay for the Sunday Ticket and NHL Season Pass.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:11:50 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I love my Roku. I was about a minute away from buying Apple TV before I found out about Plex.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:16:45 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
the NHL package on nhl.com is 50 bucks for this season, which isnt bad. it is usually 160 for a full season, and i buy it every year anyway because i cant watch all the devils games where i live.

last year i did this and watched it on the ps3, works pretty well.

in other news, the flyers named Giroux captain, good news for him, bad news for pronger. he may be done at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:18:16 AM PST
Ice King says:
Yeah, I'll probably try it out tonight. Even if it doesn't work, I don't have a ton of movies in iTunes. Mostly just digital copies that came with the Blurays I bought plus a few from before I discovered how much better Amazon Instant Video is.

Thanks for the heads up.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:18:23 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Dang it, I thought they were giving it away. My wife read on Yahoo that it was supposed to be free.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:18:26 AM PST
Too late, I already have Apple TV and love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:19:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:20:33 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I would suggest, if you were so inclined, that you already own that content so if you decided to download .avi or .mp4 copies from a site that specialized in securing copies of items that you could go that route since you already own the content and that way you can watch it.

Yeah, I love Giroux. Big guys in the NHL are going out hard. Premeaux(sp?) went out that way. I bought NHL 13 just because it has Giroux on it. It'll probably be the only hockey game I buy until one comes out with another Flyer on it.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:20:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 6:23:12 AM PST
I use PlayOn pretty exclusively for online media (I got a lifetime subscription a few years ago), but I also have 2 Apple TVs. They're incredibly useful devices. Streaming music is far better than on any of the media server software I've seen (including Plex). I don't buy much visual media (TV shows, movies, etc.), but when I do, I do so from iTunes, since my household has a couple iPhones, iPads, iPods, etc. that it just makes sense. Also, any video files I have will also play through it. I've also found that the wife uses Netflix on the aTV far more often, so that's a bonus. And AirPlay is awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:20:32 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
Bettman claimed that if he could, he would. he said due to their partnership agreements (im guessing cable/satellite companies) they are unable to give it away for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:22:07 AM PST
Totido says:
I haven't been able to get my digital copies in Itunes to stream. Music works fine, but if I try to access Itunes videos Plex just times out. Let us know if you have any luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:22:29 AM PST
I do pay for sunday ticket and nba league pass. I'm just glad that the 360 has alot of college football and basetball games or I would pony up the cash for that as well. But I will look into PlayOn. Maybe they have redzone and I could at least live with just watching that if I had to.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions