Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

CVG looks at the Vita's first year

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 7:54:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:55:18 PM PST
A long, four page article but not a bad read and it's actually quite fair. I'll just post the conclusion.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/382406/features/a-second-look-at-ps-vita/

<snip>

Conclusion - is it time to buy a PS Vita?

One year on and there are still too many reasons not to. Some issues can be solved; others are out of Sony's hands.

Every element of Vita, from hardware to games to accessories, is unfairly expensive. Nor does the system offer the kind of portable experience available on smartphones. Great games are hidden away in the dark corners of a confusing digital store. Vita is promoted as a lifestyle device but - outside of games and video - it gets a considerable amount wrong.

The system's saving grace is Sony's own standards for console design. Vita won't flop like an N-Gage or Gizmodo because, despite its shortcomings, it is elementally a wonderful games console inside and out. That kind of desirability is essential to any system.

The future for Vita is not clear - there are too few publicly known projects in the pipeline to determine where it will be at the end of its second year. Sony will likely back it for at least another 18 months, but it needs to work harder with more bravery and conviction. Delegating doomed Call of Duty games to third-party studios will not make Vita any more desirable, nor will the growing library of home console ports.

PlayStation needs to develop unique, must-have titles for the system - it must delegate projects to key (not secondary) teams at Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Polyphony and Japan Studio.

Sony's biggest problem is the question that jumps into most core gamers' minds when they consider a Vita: Why should I buy a console that no one else seems to be buying? Why pay so much for something I'm not sure will receive full support from the industry?

But those who can afford a Vita have the luxury of asking themselves questions that are more basic and, ultimately, more relevant to their hobby: Is Vita fun? Will I keep playing it? Does it have enough to keep me enjoying games for a long time? Yes, yes and yes.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:01:08 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Vita rules.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:17:01 PM PST
I. Flores says:
doomed

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:27:23 PM PST
AJF says:
The one reason I don't think that the Vita will fail is that that famous Sony hubris runs so pervasively through the company that they will bankrupt themselves rather than admit they made a mistake with this system.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:28:01 PM PST
Prankster says:
I think Sony made some strong moves at the end of the year and built some momentum. They only need to capitalize on that and carry it throughout the whole of next year.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:45:46 PM PST
aidenraine says:
gee, it's almost... or exactly.... like what happened with the PSP... and guess what, that system did pretty well for itself.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:59:52 PM PST
The Vita will do fine as long as Sony starts to take it seriously, which they finally seem to be doing. The memory cards MUST drop in price, there's no excuse why a 32 GB Sony card should cost 80 bucks. Other than that, it seems like it'll be a nice handheld. Hopefully I'll get one for Christmas. I can't wait to play LBP Vita and a few other titles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:05:26 PM PST
Prankster says:
I agree with this. The memory cards are the main pain in the ass factor when it comes to a Vita. Had they not been expensive, even I would have bought one of those $180 bundles. It's just these proprietary cards costing so much, isn't it? If they let go of that monopoly itself they would do much better.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 11:33:53 PM PST
Sounds like a fair conclusion to me. The Vita has a ton of potential but Sony needs to show the world this instead relying on brand names to move the system for them. Console ports are nice but people will ask "Why should I pay $250+ to play the games I already can?" The Vita needs a strong original library behind it that shows what the system can do. I've been saying for a long time now Sony needs their powerhouse studios behind their main IPs on the Vita and not other studios which haven't worked with the IP before. Games like Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Assassin's Creed Liberation, and more are a great start but we need a lot more of this to keep this thing going.

Nintendo definitely isn't going to let up now that the 3DS found its legs and the longer Sony sits around screwing with high prices and letting the wrong studios work on the games the worse the situation gets. I really want to see the Vita succeed and I definitely want to see more titles like Gravity Rush on there as well. Move away from the console ports and start letting the Vita be its own beast instead of trying to just be a portable PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 12:02:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 12:53:55 AM PST
Jawwaad says:
"Move away from the console ports and start letting the Vita be its own beast instead of trying to just be a portable PS3."

Exactly Keji. The Vita needs it's own games developed for the Vita and the Vita alone. That's where Nintendo shines as they don't try to ride off of games ported from the Wii but rather their handhelds get original games developed for the DS/3DS alone. Nintendo understands that handheld gamers want a unique gaming experience and not just some shotty port from their home console.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 12:47:10 AM PST
Prankster says:
Sony can definitely try and develop some games for the Vita which will attract a lot of attention. Put out a Ratchet & Clank game or an inFamous game and see the excitement that will be generated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:41:03 AM PST
Nintendo has their fair share of ports but they've also reworked them for the 3DS to take advantage of the system instead of being a straight port.

I think the Vita has the 3DS in terms of build quality and overall power but sadly Sony isn't tapping into that yet. Nintendo is walking away with the market right now while Sony fiddles around with nonsense which doesn't matter. They need to focus on getting Vita's library beefed up and get all the functionality off the ground instead of slowly rolling out patches for things like PSOne, Remote Play, and such.

At this point I don't think the Vita will catch the 3DS (in terms of sales) but the PSP didn't come close to the DS and still did amazingly well in its own right.

Sony needs to stop worrying about the mobile market (the handheld and mobile market can exist together) and start focusing on gaming. This isn't about a life style, it's about entertaining games.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:26:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 3:31:22 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
All i know is in terms of games:

Vita first year has been very comparable to the 3DS first year (in many ways better in less time) and it looks no different in ports and first party offering than the Wii U looks to provide its first year.

The Playstation portable devices simply do not have the mass market appeal of Nintendo ones. You don't have soccer mom's buying a Vita in different colors for all for 4 of her kids. There is no Pokemon, no licensed shovelware, no $5 bins of BC software etc...

The 3DS is the 'iPod' of handheld gaming devices. It has reached that status of THE device you buy your child, and its a platform with enough content variety to please the manchild. I think too often gamers are ignoring what the true majority of demographic that the DS/3DS posseses, and its not led by us 20- 30 somethings ....not by a long shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:38:26 AM PST
Mayo you're right that the first year of the 3DS and Vita are comparable but the 3DS is well past the point of being on its first year and people aren't comparing last year for the 3DS to this year of the Vita. People are looking at what each device offers overall and in those terms the 3DS wins hands down. All the graphical power in the world won't change this fact and I think people need to get away from the idea of comparing year one to year one.

Sony needs to get away from this as well and they need to hit the ground running next year. Stop worrying about Nintendo has done and worry about what they are doing and how Sony can make the Vita looking appealing despite that.

Once Sony does this the Vita will take off. No one but Sony is going to make sure the Vita succeeds and iti s high time Sony realized this.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:34:44 AM PST
Aku says:
"Nor does the system offer the kind of portable experience available on smartphones."

Stopped reading here.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 4:44:26 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
I wish Sony would release more exclusive games for the Vita like Nintendo does for the 3DS. The difference is that the PS3 is still going strong and the Wii was dying out so it's easier to put your best studios on a handheld when that's your strongest piece of hardware.

I'm curious to see what happens to the vita but I know I have years of games to play on it as I never owned a PSP!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:00:17 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
"Nintendo has their fair share of ports but they've also reworked them for the 3DS to take advantage of the system instead of being a straight port."

I think I'd prefer Vita games to be straight ports rather than have a bunch of stupid touch/gyroscope controls shoehorned in.

I want a gaming system, not a gimmick.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:00:38 AM PST
I have yet to come across something that comes off as a gimmick yet on the 3DS. When I'm talking reworked for the 3DS I'm talking games like Star Fox, Ocarina of Time, Street Fighter IV, and others which play to the strength of the 3D instead of merely being a port.

Star Fox and Ocarina obviously got a very nice visual face lift and can take advantage (especially in Ocarina's case) of the touch screen for inventory management. Sure both support the gyroscope but they also support traditional controls. In fact I like using the gyroscope in Ocarina to aim much like I did in Golden Abyss. Street Fighter reworked a few things to run better on the 3DS and also show off the 3D effects quite well.

I'm curious about what you find to be a gimmick.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:10:30 AM PST
So, the 3DS IS for babies. Good to know, better go throw that puppy away and get hardcorez with my Vita!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:15:18 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
It sounds like the article makes the usual valid points. Game prices though? Beyond Uncharted: Golden Abyss all the games have been $40 and under which is the same price of 3DS games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:16:35 AM PST
Probably comparing to the $.99 iOS games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:17:57 AM PST
And CoD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:25:27 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
I'm mostly with you but the touch controls in Uncharted mainly work pretty well IMHO. I think cleaning of teh found items or doing the charcoal rubbings is a really neat little element. If I had a gripe it would be the rear touch controls (and possible the gyro balancing as I seem to always want to go in the wrong direction. :/ )

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:27:21 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
"Nor does the system offer the kind of portable experience available on smartphones."

Stopped reading right there.

And as far as the "unfairly expensive" hardware...am I wrong or didn't the $249 price point get met with applause when it was announced?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:27:46 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Yes, if you are comparing it to a mobile game than it would look pricey. For a regular handheld price that's the norm though.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions