Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Eight Women, Eight Responses, and One Dead Island Riptide Statue

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 173 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 6:48:31 AM PST
FsuSwatt says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:24:06 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
Now, if the fake boobs had a bite taken out of them and the silicone implant was half sticking out, then it would be a remarkable work of transgressive art and I would defend it to the end. As it is, it's just crude and trite.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:25:25 AM PST
Guys who make ''those jokes'' usually lack the ability to access the contents of a pair of panties..

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:27:07 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
Sensitive crowd on today, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:29:29 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 25, 2013 8:12:47 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:29:46 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
If the adage is true, you must be one blissful MFer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:31:08 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
lol, you said tainting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:32:12 AM PST
Goosifer says:
That's right, Beavis.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:33:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 7:33:53 AM PST
"Video games will never be taken seriously, nor do they deserve to, as long as you have crass sh*t like this tainting the industry."

So do we not take books seriously because of Fifty Shades or Gray or the fact that Bill O'Reilly writes them? Do we stop taking film seriously because Troma Productions exists? This is a weak argument.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:34:20 AM PST
Goosifer says:
I certainly don't put books on the pedestal a lot of people do specifically because we have crap like fifty shades of grey.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:37:43 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I don't know about that, man. We live in a world where films get their fair recognition as art, and yet we still have films like Piranha 3DD being made.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:40:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 7:41:39 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Just to be clear, the controversy here is about the warped ideas behind selling this statue as part of a collector's edition, not the actual content of any game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:41:09 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
huh huh, you said beav.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:41:11 AM PST
I think GUEST!!'s post above pretty much makes my point. Have you seen ads for that movie?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:42:38 AM PST
klopas says:
And honestly, do we care if people we don't relate to consider video games to be a joke and/or dangerous? The only time I bat an eye is when those who know jack about games start spouting off nonsense trying to censor or ban them. While I agree that the Riptide statue is done in poor taste, crude, and idiotic, I'd say let them make their mistakes. Let the people decide whether they want to buy it or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:43:25 AM PST
Goosifer says:
That's a problem with society's perception. Movies and books aren't inherently better than games because each medium has its fair share of crap.

But that Dead Island special edition is only going to make gaming look worse to society, not better.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:44:16 AM PST
Can't argue with this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:45:31 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
Considering how quickly its been withdrawn, I don't think society at large is really going to get a peak at it. While I agree that gaming has a serious public image issue, this is one of those cases that I think will be relegated to those few of us that actively take an interest in the goings on of the industry.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:46:15 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:46:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 9:48:47 AM PST
I think the problem isn't that gaming hasn't become a lot more mature. Games right now cover a huge spectrum from the low brow intended to appeal to the adolecent male to high art that is meant to be experienced by people of any age or sex and everything in between.

The problem with the video game industy isn't really the games as they are becoming more a more varied and mature with every year. Instead it is a problem with marketing. It is the main aspect of the videogame industry that seems to refuse to grow up and understand that games are played beyond the group of 14 year old boys they seem to target most the time. This then becomes what a lot of people who don't game see and becomes their understanding of what games are.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:46:55 AM PST
What about Cooking Mama?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:51:01 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
You apparently didn't read the article.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:51:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 7:52:02 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
So commenting on one issue for which they were directly asked a question means they're only trying to censor things they don't find appealing? Dude, look at the list of people there. We have -at least- one writer. That means that person is directly creating the plots of games, which means in all likelihood is not only promoting her own brand of games she is in fact -creating- her own brand of games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:51:21 AM PST
While this article was about 8 womens opinions I think the reaction to how repulsive this particular marketing campaign came from both men and women. Sure we've endured or even enjoyed a lot of titilating or violent marketing in the past but this particular thing was especially distasteful and instead of keying in on what people do love about sex and violence managed to highlight just how crass and messed up it can be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:53:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 7:54:23 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
The eighth woman is a programmer at Double Fine, and even specifically says in her response "I don't believe in censorship."
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  173
Initial post:  Jan 24, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions