Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Eight Women, Eight Responses, and One Dead Island Riptide Statue

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-173 of 173 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 12:01:06 PM PST
FsuSwatt says:
hahahaha love it! :)

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 12:14:46 PM PST
The only thing I have a problem with in this whole OP:

"sticking this statue in a set that will be received by kids and young adults"

No! Bad journalist! You can't use the "think of the children" defense in this situation. It's a M-Rated game. Hostel has some pretty sexist, bloody stuff in it too, but we don't see a public outrage about that, do we?

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 12:21:53 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 25, 2013 12:49:12 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 12:46:40 PM PST
One of the biggest reactions from the games media and other developers was just how stupid it was to put out something like this while we are dealing with the image problem of violence in videogames. While there were also objections based on this particular item and its objectification (the "here are some tits" part of it) I don't feel that is the sole issue here.

Perhaps it would have received less attention if it was less sex and more violence it definitely is not the solution to the problem.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 12:48:29 PM PST
SMH says:
The first response is the best in this thread. Those offended should lighten up imo.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 12:57:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 12:57:32 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I was mostly just being facetious with my solution. And yes, I could totally see this getting picked up as a story even if it was just violence and no sexytime in the wake of this "violent videogames are to blame" revival.

Maybe I need to re-read the 8 responses. I think one of the first ones lead with, "Yeah a torso alone is gross, but a female torso with big boobs REALLY crosses the line" and I just felt that speaks to our double standard of blood, gore, brutality vs. a skimpy bikini. Guts are cool, breasts are kinda off-limits, but especially don't dress up a pair into 'zombie bait' because then we're talking serious problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 12:58:58 PM PST
Since they are not criticizing the game, that is irrelevant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:01:06 PM PST
I'm not always sure where that "line" is but I do think that this thing was made with the goal of being intentionally offensive, they just underestimated how strong the reaction was going to be. There have been a whole lot of questionable marketing decisions in the industry and just how over the top and blatent this was coupled with just some overall bad timing blew up in their face.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:18:28 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
It's definitely not the worst marketing for a game I've seen. That easily goes to Dante's Inferno.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:20:20 PM PST
Not Hitman with their whole "put a hit out on someone" social media compaign that was pulled within hours of it going up?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:22:05 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Oh man, I had forgotten about that. And you left out the best part: the hits were based on mean and superficial judgments like small bewbs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:23:40 PM PST
I feel like looking up screenshots of that now. I'm sure some exist.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:24:20 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Yep, I was just about to mention the Hitman marketing campaign. Just turrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:25:03 PM PST
I seriously think a lot of these marketing campaigns are going by the concept that any news is good news so they purposely are trying to top how offensive or crass they can be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:26:22 PM PST
Also it was made even worse that you could send out those hits to anyone, not just other people in on this whole Hitman game. Random people just getting berated and told someone would kill them.

What the F were they thinking?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:28:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 1:41:46 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the Dante's Inferno thing was going for, but the Hitman one strikes me more as negligence than consciously trying to generate news via controversy. Like... the guy who designed it forgot he was supposed to have other people sign off on his work before he put it up for the world to see. Or the people who did sign it off weren't paying attention and just saw "facebook game blah blah blah."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:30:32 PM PST
I actually kind of forget what the Dante's thing was.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:33:16 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dante's_Inferno_(video_game)#Marketing

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:33:30 PM PST
Soulshine says:
That's the other side of this - I'm more offended at the apology than anything. I'd rather see some honesty there.

"We thought some fans would enjoy it. We didn't want to upset our female fans. Sorry." Okay

"We just did this for publicity, looks like we got it. Sorry." At least that's honest.

"We made a huge mistake and never meant for this to happen. We are deeply deeply sorry for this and promise it will never ever happen again." Well, that's great. Are you sorry about the statue or sorry you got caught by the PC police or what?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 1:40:10 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
Except for rickrolling reviewers, that whole section is filled with failure.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:20:55 PM PST
GUEST!! says:
Nah. I'd love to put a hit out on some people. The DI campaign was basically a long string of staged protests to create the impression of "lolreligiouspeople."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:23:34 PM PST
The really disgusting thing about it was that after they had been caught they still kept at it.

The "your mom hates Dead Space 2" was pretty bad, as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 2:25:36 PM PST
"The "your mom hates Dead Space 2" was pretty bad, as well."

I remember those. I thought they were so annoying.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Why Was Halo 5 The Worst Selling And Lowest Rated In The Series? 30 1 minute ago
OT: Anti-Semitism runs rampant in the Democratic Party as Hank Johnson compares Jews in Israel to "termites" 45 3 minutes ago
Global Top Sellers 18th June 2016. Uncharted 4 Surpasses 3.20 Million. Overwatch Breaks 1 Million. 4 9 minutes ago
OT: Democratic National Convention and the rest of the stink coming out of Philadelphia this week 207 10 minutes ago
English Trailer for 裸執事 12 11 minutes ago
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Impressions 158 12 minutes ago
1986 NES review; The D-Pad is "a major handicap". Look at Sega Master System or Atari 7800 instead 32 19 minutes ago
Game sequels that you wanted to see that never made it... 61 26 minutes ago
How is Sony going to combat 2 more powerful systems? 51 35 minutes ago
OT: The Killing Joke 19 39 minutes ago
Whatever Else May Happen, This is Will Always Be the Weekly Gaming Thread for July 25-29, 2016 27 46 minutes ago
Microsoft cuts Xbox One to $250 117 47 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  173
Initial post:  Jan 24, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions