Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Path of Exile Open Beta

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 266 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 22, 2013 7:39:55 AM PST
Duster says:
So the open beta for Path of Exile starts tomorrow. Anybody going to take a stab at it?

I think I will. It looks pretty promising as a Diablo 3 contender.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 7:42:15 AM PST
Finally!

I put about a dozen hours into the closed beta last year and "shelved" it waiting for the Open Beta without character wipes. I'll probably give it another go. I really loved the way their barter system works and the completely open ended character building.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 7:51:15 AM PST
Duster says:
I guess what's nice, is today is the last character wipe. If you start any characters in open beta they aren't going to wipe it at final release.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 7:52:37 AM PST
Yup, which means I'll start playing it again. It does have some great mechanics.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 8:10:25 AM PST
Duster says:
The skill tree seems a bit daunting...

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 8:12:00 AM PST
Duster says:
There is co-op in this right? So far all of the content I've seen has been just single player...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 8:31:41 AM PST
Yes, just like Diablo with drop-in-drop out party co-op. When you're in a town it's a hub with large groups of players. You party up like in an MMO, then everywhere outside the towns are instanced for groups or solo play.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 8:32:25 AM PST
It's not bad. Every character starts on a different part of the tree. You can then build your character however you wish from there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 8:33:49 AM PST
Coffee says:
Eh, it's a lot like the FF10 tree, really. Every character starts at a certain area, where they specialize in. But you can literally take your guy anywhere you'd like.

The mix and match skill system was pretty nice, too. I haven't installed this on my gaming PC since I've had it built, and would be interested to see how it plays on an actual dedicated gaming card.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 8:41:17 AM PST
Duster says:
What I want to know is the paying aspect of it. My understanding is you can pay for a companion (pet) for use in the game? I'm all for that. I would probably splurge to get a pet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 8:42:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 8:43:52 AM PST
Pets and purely cosmetic or convenience items.

IE: More storage (you get a TON to start with anyway), or unique spell effects (these are cool), unique character skins, pets like WoW that follow you around, etc.

Nothing that will have *any* effect on gameplay. The devs are making that very clear.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 9:16:18 AM PST
I might give it a try. I played a bit of the closed beta. It was fun but also still not quite as polished. And beta being beta I figured I'd just wait for release. But with the open beta and no character wipes from now on, I might give it another shot.

My original impression was really it was Diablo 2.5 with the sphere grid from FFX. While it did a lot of things right, it also lacked polish. The animations and map design were meh at least in the 4 or 5 hours I played it. I wasnt really impressed with a lot of the skills. I went full on summoner, and the AI was kind of wonky. The in-game maps also were straight out of 1999.

I really wanted to see a game improve on this genre. Not just re-do everything I played 10 years ago. Diablo 3 tried and did a good job in my opinion, just really flubbed the loot system and "keep playing" appeal in my opinion. Torchlight 2 basically copied Diablo 2 and gave it WoW-esque graphics. It was a lot of fun but got boring too fast.

I'm hoping this one actually keeps me sucked into the game more, especially after I've beaten the main campaign. Really the biggest problem I had with PoE in the closed beta was it was sooooo hard to navigate the maps. I kept finding myself getting lost as they pretty much stole the horrible looking map system from Diablo 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 9:26:57 AM PST
Duster says:
From what I've read they've redone the map overlay so it isn't so horrible now. I will be interested in trying it. I've actually gotten to the point in Diablo 3 that I'm starting to burn out. Took 400 hours, but I'm getting there...

I agree with your assessment of Diablo 3. The loot system is horrible, at least once in awhile I would like to get a decent drop that I could use.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 10:14:55 AM PST
Yeah I played easily 1000 hours of Diablo 2. They did it wrong in D3. They made rare loot too rare and made legendaries sub-par. One of the best things in D2 was getting a legendary KNOWING that is about 99% of the time was better then a rare or blue item. It also made it nice being able to know what you wanted to farm for.

How the "rarity" scales in D3 makes it just seem nearly impossible to get those amazing pieces of gear you really want. Take Borderlands 2 for instance. For my Mechromancer, the BEST gun for my build is a purple Plasma Caster. I've gotten one, and I know the general stats. I can still continue farming and looking for one with better stats, but I'm not going to roll one that just has totally random junk all on the gun.

With Diablo 3, your amazing legendary is always going to have a lottery-chance rare that will blow it out of the water. And even most legendaries now have a lottery chance to even roll stats you want on them. Honestly they should have just kept the old D2 loot set up and just made all the stuff bigger and cooler looking and left the RNG on the loot alone. Once I hit max level and started grinding for gear it just seemed so impossible to get a piece that was an improvement that I got bored and moved on to Torchlight 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 10:26:35 AM PST
Duster says:
That's the point I'm at. Grinding paragon levels is only so much fun...

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 10:27:03 AM PST
I REALLY like how Path of Exile does potions. It actually makes me really look forward to getting drops again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 10:33:07 AM PST
Yeah I've been tempted to go back just to see what the paragon levels add and if I'd get hooked. Sadly I've got too many games to play now. Diablo 3 almost had me, but they lost their hooks in me. Maybe when I get some backlog cleared out.

Its sad, I remember Diablo 2, spending countless hours staying up till 3 am grinding to get like 2-3 legendaries a night, then waking up at like 6 to go to class. With Diablo 3, all the good "run" spots they keep nerfing. I'm sorry, when I'm grinding, I like to be able to CHOOSE where I grind. That was my other huge turn-off on Diablo 3. Once you found a nice place to run through and grind a bit, they'd nerf it because they wanted to you "play the game normally while you grind".

Listen, I just beat the frickin game 3 times in a row. I think its ok to let me choose which act/dungeon I want to grind in.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 11:34:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 11:36:14 AM PST
They definitely put far too much stock into the RMAH and GAH. It's generally required to find any gear you actually want. In my 100+ hours of playing I have *found* exactly 1 of the items I use on my level 60 barbarian. ONE ITEM. Everything else was from the AH.

EDIT: I take that back, NONE of the Barb items were found by me. My wizard has an amulet that I found and that is it.

That's a huge problem right there. Nothing I find will ever be better than the item I can grab for 25,000 - 100,000 gold off the AH.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 11:46:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 11:50:13 AM PST
See that part doesnt bother me AS much. In Diablo 2, a good hunk of the gear I found didnt get used by me either (unless I had an alt that could maybe use it). 90% of the time I would end up trading anyways. So the AH stuff doesnt bother me. The problem is, even finding ANY piece of armor worth putting up on the AH is a hassle.

I mean yes, these games you tend to wade through PILES of junk gear to find a piece or two of the good stuff. Diablo 3 though has you wade through PILES of junk gear to find slightly less junk gear.

And I think one of the big problems is that they arent as forthcoming as Diablo 2 was, or many other games in the genre for that fact. For instance, Borderlands 2, you know about 90% what enemies drop what legendaries. You know exactly what you need to grind and know whether its going to be an extremely rare grind or a like 1/20 chance.

In Diablo 3, everything supposedly drops everything, you have no idea of the chance and you have no idea what you possibly could get.

It just ruins a lot of the feeling of reward you get. I mean even when you get a really nice rare drop, or even perhaps a legendary, it feels more like winning a dollar off a dollar scratch-off ticket. Because even that really nice rare is likely not for your class, and probably not good enough to make you a good amount on the AH.

But hey, at least it looks pretty!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 3:13:35 PM PST
I really liked that as well. Looking forward to seeing the changes they made since adding the new class a while back. Updating my game right now.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 3:25:07 PM PST
I'm guessing that this is the F2P Diablo clone from the way the thread went. I might go ahead and check this out. So, the city is the hub where players can join up to quest? I'm hoping that they have friend lists to make it easier to locate one another in said city. That's one thing that D3 had that was nice was the fact that, if you entered a friends game, you could just port to wherever they are as long as they aren't in a boss fight.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 9:07:08 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
Downloading it tonight.

I only played a little bit of the closed beta, so I'm looking forward to going balls to the wall from this point forward. I was going to start cranking up Diablo III again, but I totally forgot that I had tied the authenticator to my account from an old cell phone (which I consequently don't have anymore). No fun there, I'll have to call them to restore my account.

I'm going with a Shadow, dual-wielding claws and cold spells - with added bonuses to the energy shields (plus life leech).

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 12:23:47 AM PST
Bulbachutwo says:
Downloaded and began playing this last night. Got to level 6 with the duelist class last night. I had a good time playing it and if anyone wants to play this co-op let me know. I'm not sure how the friends system works. Do you give people your toon name?

I really like how the eliminated gold entirely and trading/selling/buying is based off of loot. It's an interesting system and I'm curious how it'll play out over the long haul. The skill system is pretty neat also, with skills being tied to gems instead of things you choose whe nyou level up, and the gems level up as you use them. Also, I like how you can add/remove gems at will, for free, while playing. This'll lead to giving you the ability to try everything easily without having to respec.

I do wish they were a little more forthcoming with information sometimes. I would like to know the difference between classes, what weapon-types are best for classes, and which attributes (dex/str/int) work best with what loadouts. I don't know if sword/shield and str build is good for a duelist, or if I should be duel weilding and dex building my toon. I know it is very openended, but I'd prefer some guidance as a suggestion, at least.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 12:58:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2013 6:18:18 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
Yes, just relay your character's name (in-game) to add people to your friend's list.

Played for quite a bit tonight, and things ran smoothly for the most part. I ran with two of my other buddies, and we were melting everything we ran across in our party (one was a witch, the other another shadow). Up to level 12 on my Shadow and having a great deal of fun. The only problem that I've consistently run into was when I'd hit the portals into town, or from a scroll, or on the map itself - it'd sit at the loading screen for 10-15 seconds, then it would boot me back to the login screen. After about the tenth or thirteenth time that it happened, I called it a night out of frustration and the recurring nature of this hiccup. Other than that, the game and client ran pretty smoothly and I'm really looking forward to playing a great deal more. Hopefully, I don't run into the same issue tomorrow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 1:04:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2013 1:19:18 AM PST
Duelist starts in between the dex and strength areas, so if you're going sword and board you can just head into the strength area, the weapon hubs are pretty much in the areas they work IE two handed mostly in str area. There are dex abilities that will help that build as well, like a sword hub, so duelist should work fine that way.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  266
Initial post:  Jan 22, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions