Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dark Souls, Witcher 2 or Dragon Age 2?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 124 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 21, 2013 4:37:44 AM PST
M. says:
In the need of a new RPG and Im not sure which one i should get. Any thoughts?

By the way 360>PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 4:40:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013 4:41:26 AM PST
Dark Souls or Witcher 2. They're both fairly difficult. If you want story and bewbs go with the Witcher 2. If you want an open world and extremely rewarding gameplay, go with Dark Souls.

IMO, TW2 isn't as polished as DS, but they're both great games.

Dragon Age 2... not so much.

By the way PC>>>>consoles

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 4:41:09 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
The Witcher 2 was great, but I'd pick Dark Souls. I never really cared for DA that much.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:43:52 AM PST
moogle11 says:
The Witcher 2's the top choice for 360, otherwise they're all pretty good. Dragon Age 2 is very well scripted, just be prepared to spend 90% of your playtime in one city. Dark Souls is frustrating but rewarding in a way like old school platformer's were, so tough that when you work it out you are filled with joy ^^

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:44:26 AM PST
M. says:
I think I'll like the Witcher more the only thing that's stopping me is that I hear it's only like 30 hours long. I like long Rpg's.

Which game has more emphasis on loot and leveling?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 4:47:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013 4:48:39 AM PST
Dark Souls would give you much more longevity. Witcher 2 can be played through multiple times due to some branching paths, but Dark Souls has much more content, exploration, loot, and a unique leveling system.

Witcher 2 only allows you to choose your talents, not stats and skills (for the most part). Although they augment your character slightly, I wish gave more flexibility to character builds.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:47:46 AM PST
Peter says:
Get them all. All three can be had together for the price of one new game give or take $10.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 4:49:56 AM PST
To give you an idea, I'm about 13-15 hours into TW2 and I think I'm around 2/3 of the way through.

I spent 65 hours on my first playthrough of Dark Souls and close to 100 on my main character alone to get the platinum trophy on PS3. I have 95 hours in it on PC and I still play it nearly every day.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:55:11 AM PST
J. Arthur says:
Choosing between Witcher 2 and Dark Souls is really like trying to choose a "better" among bests. Both are amazing RPGs and I highly recommend playing both at some point. Dark Souls is certainly challenging, but the difficulty is overcome by paying attention, developing strategies, etc. You will not enjoy Dark Souls if your idea of a RPG is purely hack-n-slash. Witcher 2 is perhaps less challenging than Dark Souls (if only slightly), but it is every bit as enjoyable. The story is well developed and the characters are genuinely interesting. In short, you really cannot go wrong with either game.

I did not particularly care for Dragon Age 2, so I recommending passing on that one. It was a sad attempt at a follow-up to a truly great RPG.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 5:01:00 AM PST
Peter says:
The thing with Dragon Age 2 is it didnt follow the format of the first game, and so wasnt well received due to heightened expectations. However, it's still a fun game. If anything, it's a bit closer to KoA then it is to DA1. That being said, I got bored and set it down....I imagine I'll come back to it sometime soon though and finish it.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 5:03:51 AM PST
J. Arthur says:
Fair point, Peter. Drawing the analogy to KoA is probably accurate and may explain why I did not really care for KoA either.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 5:06:02 AM PST
The Witcher 2 is an amazing RPG. It was my personal GoTY for 2011.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 5:07:22 AM PST
eMJayBlaze says:
They're all good games, I had a difficult time getting into the Witcher, but when I did, I enjoyed it quite a bit. DA2 is also very good, but if you;ve played the first, go into #2 knowing that it most likely will not meet your expectations of the first. Dark Souls is absolutely awesome, and the one I would reccomend.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 6:31:20 AM PST
Witcher 2

DA2
DS last

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 6:35:06 AM PST
Normally I'd say get Dark Souls but I don't like you so get Dragon Age 2.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 6:38:41 AM PST
Get another multiplayer shooter and bro it up with your bros.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 7:24:02 AM PST
Pass on Dragon Age 2 until you've played the other two on your list. I'd start with The Witcher 2 because I'm a fan of story, but everybody loves Dark Souls, so I don't think you could go wrong there.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 8:24:54 AM PST
I can't advise about DA2, as haven't spent too much time on. However, between TW2 and DkS, it comes down to what you're looking for. TW2 has a lot more cinematic storytelling, with stuff spelled out. DkS has a story, but a lot of it's left to your own investigations and opinion. So, if you're looking for an RPG with an interesting and easy to follow story, TW2 is your game. If you're looking for more of a trial/error approach to combat and a story that doesn't ever really explain itself fully, the DkS is the king this gen. Personally, Dark Souls is better, but I also like my games to be more gameplay based than story-based.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 8:27:42 AM PST
M. says:
But I love you :(

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 9:24:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013 9:24:41 AM PST
It's a tough choice between Dark Souls and The Witcher II. Easily two of the best games. But I'd have to give an edge to The Witcher II. It's just a very cinematic, well-told story that has incredible atmosphere. Dark Souls doesn't have a great story, but it's an immersive and challenging RPG unlike any other. Play The Witcher II and then go for Dark Souls. Neither should be missed.

Skip Dragon Age II.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 9:39:57 AM PST
Bro.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 11:14:36 AM PST
DVvM says:
My favorite one of those games is easily Dragon Age 2, but I understand this is not a widely held opinion.

Probably the best game from a more widely held perspective would be the Witcher 2.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 11:24:13 AM PST
Americo says:
DS > Witcher > DA2

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 11:29:34 AM PST
Even with the misogyny?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 11:34:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013 11:35:06 AM PST
DVvM says:
It's just a different sort of game than Dark Souls. If you're in the mood to "play an RPG" most people would prefer the Witcher 2 to either DA2 or DS. If you're in the mood for Dark Souls, nothing beats Dark Souls.

But like the Souls games aren't really about the story, or the characters (like DA2 and the Witcher 2 are) they're almost 100% about the gameplay.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  124
Initial post:  Jan 21, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions