Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Developers for Wii U eShop can update their games for free (no certification fees)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 7:54:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:55:15 AM PST
From other developer interviews we learned that updating games on Wii U's eShop was not nearly as onerous as on XBL and PSN. Now the developer of Tribe 2 comes put and says they can update their titles for free. Hopefully Microsoft and Sony learn something from Nintendo.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/12/developer_interview_frozenbyte_on_the_first_days_of_the_wii_u_eshop

<snip> A patch is already on the way for Trine 2: Director's Cut. The update will include in-game voice chat for online co-operative play, extra languages, additional controller support and adjustments, plus a few visual tweaks. It's a significant upgrade for a game on a Nintendo platform, especially since, until 3DS came along, very few titles got updated at all previously. With this update as yet unreleased, Mikael can't comment fully on limitations of the patching process right now, other than to say that "there are some, but not as much as before". It is known, however, that developers can update titles for free.

Nintendo showed Frozenbyte screenshots of the Wii U eShop "a few weeks before" launch. "All the rest was hearsay, but the most important thing for us wasn't the visuals but the specs," Mikael adds. "Being able to control pricing and sales was huge. Also the addition of the Miiverse sounded great and proved to be even better than we thought." The team booted up the digital store at European launch to take a look - during an office party, of course. "We were positively surprised. Everything seemed to be in order and there were very few fires to put out, mostly ones that we are patching very soon."

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:55:39 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
That's dumb. Nintendo is missing out on 40k per patch.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:01:39 AM PST
I guess they are hoping that they update more and release more content on their system. However, with the crapiness of how it works. They could use that extra income to make it more sure friendly and maybe come out with some more games then the few that they normally release.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:07:48 AM PST
hm. I would assume this would mean game bugs, rush releases, and incomplete games. I rather have the developer pay for patches because this would make them test the game thoroughly before being released. No charge patches means ship now patch later.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:10:01 AM PST
I.Flores says:
Well, it's not like third party WiiU games are selling like hot cakes, so developers need all the breaks they can get.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:11:11 AM PST
" No charge patches means ship now patch later."

Since that NEVER happens on the platforms that do charge for patches...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:13:30 AM PST
Today must be state the obvious day. No one said this method was never done for other systems. Having a no fee system will only enable developers to do it more often.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:14:46 AM PST
Always gotta have something to bitch about on the VGF. MS got ripped for charging, now Nintendo is dumb for not charging.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:18:36 AM PST
Steam doesn't rip off developers either and updates are manageable there. The only game I have that carpet bombed me with updates was Dungeon Defenders.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 8:28:15 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Has the Trine 2 patch come out yet? :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:32:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 8:37:29 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Was that really necessary? I mean last week you were complaining people viewed you as no more than Donnie, you didn't understand why. Re-read your post, do you understand why now? If not I can expain. Relax friend, there is no need for such a comment, especially from a non Wii U owner. Why do you need to bash Nintendo in a completely non-flame based thread? I mean honestly? Sorry to say but your comment is very childish and unwarranted. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:34:52 AM PST
" I mean last week you were complaining people viewed you as nobody"

Do you remember what thread that was in?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 8:52:07 AM PST
I think a lot of Flores' posts are childish and unwarranted, I thought that was his thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 9:42:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 9:42:55 AM PST
Lucanus says:
It is his thing, it is also his thing to constantly act like a victim and complain people knock Sony for no reason. I was attempting to point out why he isn't a victim and why people purposely bash Sony to annoy him. He is part of the problem and has the ability not to be. I'd like to help him grow as a poster. :)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 10:37:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 10:50:57 AM PST
jSten says:
40k per update is still cheaper than paying an actual QA team. So no, I don't see charging for updates having any effect on bug-free releases. *edit in wink for subtle humor*

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:41:58 AM PST
The certification fee is not the same as QA. Basically a developer has the QA cost plus the cert fee.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:42:47 AM PST
jSten says:
Sorry if my humor was too subtle. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:44:27 AM PST
It may well have been. Coffee deprivation over here.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:51:26 AM PST
I.Flores says:
I'm sorry if my posts bother you, even if they're nothing but true.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:53:55 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Ok then. Just remember, you are responsible for how people perceive you on these forums. I suggest not playing victim when somebody bashes Vita sales in a thread completely unrelated to sales. Happy holidays Flores, sorry we couldn't advance your posting style. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:06:20 AM PST
I.Flores says:
Well, your're ripe to remind everyone how the 3DS is outselling the Vita 12,371 to 1, so, a dose of reality every once in a while on something that goes against your agenda wouldn't be too bad.
It's not going to kill you.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 11:06:44 AM PST
Can somebody please mention which thread Flores meltdown?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:07:09 AM PST
I.Flores says:
There was none.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 11:09:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 11:14:07 AM PST
Lucanus says:
In reality I stopped with the silly flame wars months ago. I haven't posted much of anything regarding the Vita and sales recently. I grew up Flores. I wish you would too. As for my agenda, I have none. I currently own a ps1, ps2, ps3, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, U, xbox and xbox 360. I couldn't give a crap about which is best, because I play/enjoy them all. I am over it Flores, I really am. Recently my 360 has been getting the most love via Mass Effect, superb game btw. I don't do the silly flame war console agenda thing. It really was childish and stupid; hence why I am over it. I prefer to say on topic and be positive about gaming. Back handed jabs only make me look bad. :)

Jason, it wasn't a meltdown, just a general conversation. Flores was complaining about Donnie and how he constantly bashes Sony off topic. Many, including myself, pointed out Flores does the same. He acted shocked as though he were innocent. He is Donnie, which explains why they don't get along. I don't feel much like finding the thread, sorry. :)

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 11:11:34 AM PST
SMH says:
"Always gotta have something to bitch about on the VGF. MS got ripped for charging, now Nintendo is dumb for not charging."

This. Exactly.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions