Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: The Hobbit comes out this weekend...anyone planning on seeing it?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 168 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:33:38 AM PST
dumbledore dies.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:40:40 AM PST
Frankenzubaz says:
+1 for not bringing a baby to the movie theater.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 4:23:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 4:24:08 PM PST
Banner says:
Hey can I watch this in 2D?

Or is 3D that much better for this movie

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:25:53 PM PST
C.W. says:
They have plenty of regular showings. The 3D was OK, but if I would've had the choice to have IMAX minus the 3D I would've taken it. To be fair though, I absolutely hate 3D and everything it stands for though...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 4:54:09 PM PST
Banner says:
Ah. I'll probably just go with the 2D then

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 5:43:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 5:43:42 PM PST
Frenat says:
You could always cobble a pair of glasses together that have two right (or two left) eye pieces and watch the 3D IMAX movie in 2D.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:29:13 PM PST
C.W. says:
Lol not a bad idea! Never thought of that before!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:41:02 PM PST
Frenat says:
yeah I read about it somewhere for people that get headaches or eyestrain watching 3D movies so they can go to the same theater with their friends.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 6:46:38 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:52:49 PM PST
Frenat says:
It had a ton of dwarfs because that is what the book is about. It had more humor because that is how the book reads. I liked it and I liked how they followed closer to the book than the Lord of the Rings movies did. Sorry you didn't like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 6:57:36 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
I never read the book and don't know the story. Just saying I got tired of all the dwarves really early. I'm not saying the movie is bad or anything about how closely it follows the book. I'm just saying I personally find dwarves rather annoying, and because of that, the film was a chore to watch for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:00:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 7:02:08 PM PST
Have you not seen the previews? Most of the previews show Dwarfs, a lot of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:03:50 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Nah, I basically went into this only knowing that it's basically a lotr prequel. Didn't watch trailers or anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:54:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 7:57:55 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
I'm in your same camp, M. Lewis. There's a great many moments and dialogue contained in the film that mirror the book exactly (verbatim). From where I'm standing, that is a wonderful thing and a big reason why I enjoyed it so much.

As far as the 3D goes, I agree with C.W. - it was a pretty vanilla affair. There's some moments here and there where scenes literally leaped off the screen, but for the most part that was few and far between. I think viewing it in 2D and saving money in the process is probably the better route for most folks. I'm going to see it again with my wife soon, and she'd rather see it in the traditional 2D format.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 7:56:54 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
Saw it today - was amazed.

I've been in a LotR mood for a while - been planning on marathoning the trilogy for a few weeks now, but never found the time.

I was impressed with how well the book was followed, how well the added parts fit in, how well this movie entertwined with LotR, and impressed with how Peter Jackson and crew have taken - in my mind - this style of movie to the next level.

At it's core, I think it had very similar pacing to Fellowship of the Ring (without spoiling anything, I can think of a companion scene in this movie for nearly every major scene in Fellowship) - so I'm thinking that the people who don't know the story (all 3 of them on the planet) who liked Fellowship will find themselves liking this movie.

I am a bit dumbfounded by some of the reviews and buzz I've heard about it. I've heard that it drags for too long, that there's not enough action, etc. For one thing, I wasn't expecting there to be as much action as there was. Not only was there at least as much action in this movie as there was in Fellowship (and the Two Towers as well, IMO) - going into the movie I was expecting very little action. As a matter of fact, there is at least one key point in the book/movie where they added a battle in that I do not remember in the book - and I was initially annoyed b/c I thought they had completely changed the story - but they brought it back around to the book.

But, the complaint of "not enough action" perplexes me - has anyone saying that ever read the book? Further - what are they comparing it to? The other trilogy? As I pointed out, there is at least as much action as was in the the other movies (except RotK - but that's just because 1/2 of RotK is a friggin' battle). So, I'm assuming the people complaining about a lack of action are either comparing it only something like Expendables 2, or they just really don't understand what kind of movie they were going to see. For people who like the previous trilogy and complain about The Hobbit being boring, I'm at a loss - I'm inclined to think these people are just parroting preconcieved notions about the movie rather than what they actually saw while in the theater.

I overheard a guy in a store about an hour after I saw it telling his date about the movie, complaining loudly that it was boring, a load of BS, it was just a cash grab, how LotR was made up of "3 really thick books, ya know??" and Hobbit was just one "really thin book, yo", etc. He went on and on about how dumb it was - and about how he didn't know it was one of three movies because "I don't live my life on the internet, yo". He said, "It's sooooo dumb. I don't wanna sit through 3 movies - I just wanna have one movie with a dragon fight, and go home."

She said, "So you didn't like it?"

He said, "Oh, I haven't seen it. I ain't payin' for somthin' like that!"

That about sums it up.

I think it's an amazing movie - my bladder agrees with me that it does not drag one bit, because I kept waiting for a slow part so I could go to the bathroom, but I never did. My wife did, she was gone for 3 minutes and missed about 1/2 a battle, the first "putting on of the ring", and Gandalf decapitating a goblin.

My only complaints:

1. I have to wait a year for the next one. Seriously. Remember how the end of Two Towers felt when you saw Sam and Frodo heading towards Mount Doom, and the screen went black - and you were all like, "Don't end it, bro!! We need to keep going!!" The end of this one is like that - had me pumped.

2. I kind of wish an extended edition would have been released. There is so much going on in this movie, there has to be an extended cut on the way. The extended cuts of LotR have a "we're gonna smell the flowers a bit and hang out in these scenes" feel that I dug. They made the theatrical cuts feel like, "Okay, got that? Let's go here - got that! Good, move along to this - see it? Good, move along ....." etc. I got that feeling just a tad in this movie - enough to know that there probably is an extended cut - and I was disappointed that I couldn't watch THAT cut in 3D IMAX.

TL:DR - Awesome movie, and the hatters either haven't seen it, are out of their mind, or both.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 7:58:11 PM PST
Rockhardly says:
I thought some of the landscapes - especially the final scenes and the parts with the crescent moon - made the 3D absolutely worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:07:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:08:34 PM PST
"A lot more humor than in Lord of the rings that all fell kinda flat for me. Also I'm not a huge fan of dwarves and this film had a TON of dwarves just doing dwarf things."

I'm guessing you weren't familiar with the book?

Edit: Pretty well ninja'd on that, lol.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:10:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:14:37 PM PST
I can't wait to see this, btw. My son gets out of school early the first half of next week (as he did all of this week) due to parent-teacher conferences, but next Thursday, the hubster and I are totally stealing away to our local theater!

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 8:12:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 8:14:30 PM PST
SuperHiro says:
Heh, nope I wasn't. It's just ya know, I assumed the film would be about the Hobbit, yet imo this particular entry seemed to be more about the dwarves. The reasoning for him going along with them I found rather random and he sort of felt like a third wheel throughout the majority, if not all of the movie. Perhaps this is how the book goes, but the book isn't broken into 3 sections and perhaps gains more focus on Bilbo in the 2nd and 3rd acts, but this movie by itself just feels incomplete and not about the main character. Maybe after seeing the next two films that complete the story I'll appreciate this more, but I just felt this movie to be more about the Dwarves and their problems than anything having to do with the Hobbit himself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:13:38 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
Great writeup, Rock. I especially agree with you about the the pacing and action sequences, as I found both aspects to be sterling myself. I don't understand some of the complaints from detractors out there myself.

I read some of the reviews from rotten tomatoes and metacritic (I shouldn't have), and I had a very hard time understanding their perspective. I mean everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but some of them just left me scratching my head. Like you intimated, I believe that some people out there are green to the Tolkien universe in general, and went into it EXPECTING Lord of the Rings rehashed under a different title. Which to me, doesn't make very much sense from a storytelling perspective. It's like they read something trendy in tabloid or internet source and cling to that like it's some sort of gospel. I don't get it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:18:30 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
Yes, some spots were actually brilliant with the 3D. There just wasn't enough of that dimensionality consistently sprinkled throughout the entirety for me. Don't get me wrong, really glad that I saw it in 3D. My favorite part was towards the end as well, when goblins were literally flying off the screen in our face! (epic, epic, epic)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:30:21 PM PST
Frenat says:
I would have preferred to see it in 2D but wanted to see the Star Trek scene. Any future viewings will definitely not be 3D.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 8:35:13 PM PST
AmbientGreen says:
The Star Trek preview was cool as hell (even though I'm not a trekkie). The one that really blew me away was Man of Steel (new Superman), I'm now eagerly looking forward to seeing that movie next year. It wasn't on my radar before I saw the preview of it, but now I'm all aboard and can't wait to see it.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 6:09:50 PM PST
mega Tron says:
Loved The Hobbit! Faithful to the book, and some nice extras as well. I saw it in 48 fps 3D. While I can vouch for the 3D, which was pretty awesome at times, the 48 fps was a mixed bag. Was pretty great during the CGI scenes, but pretty lame otherwise.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:11:35 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
The IMAX I went to see it in had the WORST 3D I've ever seen. I could see the two images throughout the movie. Luckily it didn't ruin how good the movie was for me, but I'm definitely going to see it in another IMAX next weekend.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  168
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions