http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/15/new-super-mario-bros-u-review/

Kotaku- Yes, you should play it

http://kotaku.com/5960880/new-super-mario-bros-u-the-kotaku-review

9GN- 9.1

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/15/new-super-mario-bros-u-review

G4TV- 3.5/5

http://www.g4tv.com/games/wiiu/66199/new-super-mario-bros-u/review/

VentureBeat- 83

http://venturebeat.com/2012/11/15/new-super-mario-bros-u-is-far-from-new-review/#s:wiiu_nsmbu_scrn05_wp-2

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:11:28 PM PST
Gamer Dude says:
... Aren't those scores good?

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:12:24 PM PST
Game Informer:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/11/15/looking-for-our-new-super-mario-bros-u-review.aspx

New Super Mario Bros. U is a great game, but we can't stamp a score on it quite yet.

We played through the entire game, but the Wii U itself still needs an online update that will be ready for the system launch this Sunday. Until this update happens, any online functionality for New Super Mario Bros. U is simply not working. Nintendo could activate the update today, tomorrow, or Saturday. It's still up in the air. So until then we'll all just have to sit around and wait.

In the meantime, you should know that the offline parts of the game (which is probably 99 percent of it) are way awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:13:00 PM PST
Yes, they are.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:14:41 PM PST
Gamer Dude says:
Ah, ok. Your title caught me off guard.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:16:20 PM PST
I accidentally hit my elbow on my desk while I was typing the thread title and that caused me to type "ouch!"

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:18:12 PM PST
Aku says:
Meh, still going with ZombiU first. I've yet to 100% NSMB2 on the 3DS...or any of them except the first, in fact.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:20:41 PM PST
I really didn't expect any higher scores from a 2D Mario game, they tend to be pretty safe and don't have nearly the production values of the 3D ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:24:40 PM PST
Gamer Dude says:
Yeah agreed. I'm interested in what the next theme for Super Mario is. Hopefully something really creative.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:49:59 PM PST
UziHorowitz says:
I'd rather them make 2D games with sprite graphics. Leave the 3D graphics out of 2D games.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 5:42:10 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Don't forget G4 TV's 70/100

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:45:00 PM PST
Facelord says:
It's still uncreative milking from Nintendo. I just want them to output a totally new franchise with the same kinda focus and budget of a title like a 3D Mario, a Zelda game or one of the better Metroid titles. That's not much to ask... unless it's directed at Nintendo.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:45:07 PM PST
Do what? They score out of 5.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:47:33 PM PST
I. Flores says:
A 14 out of 10??
Impressive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:48:04 PM PST
Added it the OP. Thanks for the tip.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:48:52 PM PST
Give a URL to your review and I'll add it to the OP.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:53:33 PM PST
Aku says:
Kid Icarus might as well have been a new title, since it played nothing like the originals and 80% of the original fans are probably senile at this point.

And what companies do what you're asking for more than Nintendo?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:21:39 PM PST
http://www.g4tv.com/games/wiiu/66199/new-super-mario-bros-u/review/

Here's the review Flores was waiting for.

Here's a snip too

"If left to your own devices, you're getting a rehash of a fairly decent 2-D platformer from 2009."

As you can see they went in open minded and ready to be fair.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:23:39 PM PST
I. Flores says:
Ninja****d

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:56:17 PM PST
Oh G4, you harp on Mario for being more of the same yet your Black Ops 2 review it gets a 4.5 out of 5.

I love consistency like this from reviewers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 5:04:33 PM PST
Facelord says:
I'd be all over Kid Icarus if it wasn't for the obnoxious voice acting or the scary control scheme, Metroid Prime: Hunters killed my hands when I was younger and hearing Pit say "sorry to keep you waiting" had me cringing throughout the entire reveal trailer for the game. Also, 3DS, not getting one until its battery life and price can justify its weak hardware. I'm committing to that and still waiting out for a 3DS with two circle pads or for Nintendo to just launch their next handheld. I'm patient and I've got good alternatives, so it's all good.

Sony's developers are a good example, they come up with so many new IPs I can't keep up with their output; on the Vita alone we're seeing Gravity Rush and Tearaway early in the system's life, along with solid 8/10 games like Unit 13 not based off any previous franchise. Sony is honestly one of the only examples I can really think of, but that doesn't change the fact that EA has introduced more great, new, AAA IPs this generation than Nintendo(Crysis, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Spore) and milked their franchises way less than Mario... and EA is "evil" while Nintendo is never seen in any negative light by the average gamer. It's pretty absurd.

Miyamoto's wanted to do a first-person game for the longest time, imagine a first-person jungle exploration/platforming game on the Wii U from Nintendo, or even a Nintendo-developed shooter along the lines of Metroid. Nintendo's greatest strength is the fact that they have some of the best quality control teams for their games in the industry and they generally don't rush some of their greater titles(like console Zeldas and Mario Galaxy). It just feels pointless to put so much focus into games the way they do when it's just Mario Mario Mario Pokemon Mario Mario Mario Zelda Mario Mario Mario Kirby Mario Mario Mario Metroid Mario Mario Mario. Their amazing quality control teams and high standards(for their most notable games, anyways, games like Mario Party don't count) helped Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube become a classic, even though it was developed by a terrible studio(read into Silicon Knights' recent history for more). I mean, what's wrong with asking more of Nintendo? My number one complaint against Nintendo isn't their weak hardware, but the fact that they keep looking to the past instead of blazing forward. Oh, and their love affair with casual gamers is insulting, that too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:26:21 PM PST
Aku says:
You complain about casual gamers but gush over Spore? Gravity Rushed Development is your idea of an an excellent new IP? Hell if anything you're the most casual cat in the VGF. Look at you, unable to even attempt a game that doesn't use dual analogs, need to distance yourself from Nintendo games just because they're part of an existing franchise, completely ignorant of all the cheap cash-in methods EA uses. I'm expecting you to pronounce your love for Farmville and Fable Kinect at any second.

And I really hope your good alternative to the 3DS isn't that paperweight called the Vita because good God, all you can do with that right now is Youtube (distant) future Vita games or play through GR's short campaign again. I know, I have one, it'll be seeing sunlight for the first time in months when P4 Golden shows up, not counting that somewhat dismal Assassin's Creed weekend session.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:59:53 PM PST
The 3DS is an awesome handheld gaming device. Too bad you prioritize hardware over software.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:49:24 PM PST
"Sony is honestly one of the only examples I can really think of, but that doesn't change the fact that EA has introduced more great, new, AAA IPs this generation than Nintendo(Crysis, Mirror's Edge, Dead Space, Spore) and milked their franchises way less than Mario... and EA is "evil" while Nintendo is never seen in any negative light by the average gamer. It's pretty absurd."

Please stop it you're killing me! I can't breath! Oh wait you're serious...

For starters EA didn't introduce Crysis, that was Crytek developed the game and EA just happened to be their partner for publishing. Crytek also has partnerships with Ubisoft and THQ so EA doesn't get that credit.

Spore has some god awful DRM attached to it so you can only install it a certain amount of times and then you're out of luck. You can thank EA for that DRM scheme. You can only install the game on five computers and then you have to contact EA to get approval for more installs. Also there is no mention of this DRM scheme on the box, manual, or license agreement. Oh and I loved the part where the DRM would stay on your system even after you uninstalled Spore. Great company though that EA.

Dead Space is in serious danger of being canned. The next release has to sell five million copies to keep EA interested in doing more.

Mirror's Edge is great and I'd love to see more but sadly DICE has been tied up doing the Battlefield series because EA can't figure out how to compete with Call of Duty. Hint it doesn't involve rushing a game out the door with a subpar campaign and a multiplayer that feels like it has no imagination at all. They are more concerned with competing with Call of Duty than letting their franchises shine like they were meant to. Instead of Battlefield 3's campaign being about epic battles and getting you ready for the multiplayer they tried to directly rip off Call of Duty. Instead of producing more Bad Company games like fans wanted we see crap like Warfighter and that other Medal of Honor release. But hey Mirror's Edge was good (and short) back in 2008 over four years ago. Way to keep that IP alive.

EA launched Origin then immediately yanked their games off Steam claiming that Valve was creating the issues and not allowing them to update and access their games the way they wanted. Gabe Newell instantly went on record saying he wanted EA's game back on his service and was doing all he could to make it happen. Some EA games have appeared on Steam again but only after Origin managed to take off. Oh and let's not even talk about the issues with Origin when it released and how it was Spyware.

Online passes are something EA embraces happily which is a complete BS tactic. If these companies can't make money on the games they are making then they need to scale back development costs and produce something that can make money. It isn't my problem that they can't budget correctly and are blowing tens of millions of dollars on a single game that they expect to sell five million copies of.

According to VGchartz Dead Space 2 has only moved around 2.68 million copies but let's go ahead. It's probably higher than that due to digital sales but even being generous and saying there's been a million in digital sales that bumps it to just 3.68 million copies. Dead Space only managed to move 3.66 million units and again that number is probably higher with digital sales. But wait we're looking at an actual decrease from Dead Space to Dead Space 2 in terms of sales yet EA budgeted Dead Space 3 so that it has to move five million copies... I'm punching these numbers into my calculator and I'm not getting a smiley face back I'm getting a "Wtf?" back.

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Dead+Space&publisher=&platform=&genre=&minSales=0&results=200

In fact the entire Dead Space franchise including Extraction has only moved 6.77 million units but EA is expecting Dead Space 3 on its own to get five million....

Do I need to go on?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:55:44 PM PST
I. Flores says:
How exactle does that makes the Dead Space franchise any less enjoyable?
DS is one of my highlights this gen.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions