Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Does the Xbox 360 have any games with graphics that compete with Uncharted 3?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 94 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:45:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 9:47:11 AM PST
DVvM says:
I'm always amused that whenever people post "does game X have the best graphics" what they really mean is "Is there a game out there whose aesthetics would be more pleasing to me than those of game X". Well, I don't know, only you can really answer that.

Graphics, in strictly technical terms, is math. It's about triangles and textures and multi-sample anti-aliasing, and things that people really don't care about when they're playing video games. The real question that people experience when they sit down to play a game is "does it look good?" and that's something that's far from objective.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:46:32 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Right, I am curious, what did you find innovative? Simple question, I mean no harm.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:48:07 AM PST
So then "best graphics" should be quantifiable? I would like to know which game has the best graphics then.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:49:36 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Crysis 2 on the PC.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:50:14 AM PST
Is that right? So the CryEngine 3 is the "best" engine technically?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:51:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 9:56:39 AM PST
quinten488 says:
PS3 Exclusives cant even transfer to 360 because they would have to downgrade the graphic quality of the game so that 360 can run it - Uncharted 3, God Of War 3

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:52:32 AM PST
Mel says:
almost every single multiplatform

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:55:24 AM PST
One of my favorite silly arguments.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:56:37 AM PST
DVvM says:
Well, which car has the best engine? It's not like these things can be measured with a single number.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 9:58:33 AM PST
With car engines you could say "most efficient" which would combine displacement with horsepower and fuel economy and get a clear winner. Is that not how VG Engines work?

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:04:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:06:21 AM PST
I'm Uzi says:
Woo, let's compare graphics of consoles from 2005-2006 in 2012. Sounds like a good use of time and energy.

Honestly, who cares now? Both are "dated" when compared to cutting edge graphics cards, processors, etc. out today. Enjoy the actual games, because neither have graphics that are the at the tip top.

Best graphics are still sprite-based graphics.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:08:33 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Ah, so it's semantics. I'm talking 'graphics' as in the quality of the rendered pictures on the screen. But seeing it the way you're describing I will agree...Halo 4 is overall the prettier game because its setting is otherworldly and alien (if only Xenoblade looked like this!). But that still doesn't make Uncharted 3 "derivative", because the art direction accomplishes exactly what that game requires and does it really well.

I also agree that a game like Fable or Super Mario Galaxy is much more interesting to look at than, say, Assassin's Creed III. But that doesn't necessarily mean that Fable or SMG have better graphics than AC3...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:09:29 AM PST
KrisCo says:
Should they?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:18:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:19:12 AM PST
Lucanus says:
That is what I constantly hear from the PC crowd. Either way I stand by my original comment (that got downvoted some how), gameplay>graphics

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:20:14 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:29:58 AM PST
DVvM says:
The car thing is perhaps not the best analogy.

At the basement (hardware) level you have your GPU. Nobody wants to do anything directly with the GPU because it's hard, so a software abstraction of the GPU gets built (this is an API like OpenGL). You may wish to have additional low-level libraries (like DirectX) but on top of that you have your engine. The game engine itself is a huge and complicated piece of software that combines a number of smaller "engines" (e.g. rendering engine, physics engine, sound, etc.).

But at the base level the game engine is a piece of software that converts processing cycles (via the API and low-level libraries) to images and sound and gameplay. These are honestly some of the most complicated pieces of software that people write (which is why you see so many engines licensed out (e.g. Unreal) because it doesn't make sense to make a new one for every game.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:30:32 AM PST
JWK says:
You crack me up, Strider!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:31:23 AM PST
So what you're saying is it's not really quantifiable?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:31:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:33:12 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Of course who doesn't want everything to be perfect? But few games do everything well.

I personally prefer gameplay+graphics+sound+cheap price+fast loading+great aesthetics+great level design

Either way gameplay is more important than graphics. If that wasn't the case Lair would have been reviewed higher than Mario Galaxy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:32:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:33:20 AM PST
Poor Wii never even had a chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:33:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:39:58 AM PST
DVvM says:
I believe it would be quantifiable, but it would be very difficult to quantify as your measurement would probably require thousands of different numbers for different things. Game engines do a lot of things.

What it's not is "worth our time."

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 10:33:50 AM PST
A fun game with "bad" graphics is still a fun game. A boring game with pretty graphics is still boring. I'd much rather play VVVVVV or Gimbal than Fable The Journey or Sorcery. I do think a lot of VGF members confuse good graphics with the number of pixels on the screen which is a bit silly.

Forza Horizon is one of the best looking 360 games I've ever seen. I have yet to see any tears or jags anywhere in that game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:33:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:50:28 AM PST
Lucanus says:
So true. It only had the two highest rated exclusives of the generation, sold the most hardware and sold the most software. It was over before it started:(

In fact I think I am going to trade in the Wii's top 2012 exclusive Xenoblade for some Super LBP Kart. Super LBP Kart is more graphic, thus superior.

No wait, better yet I am going to trade in my ps3 and entire game collection, so I can get a PC because graphically it puts a ps3 to shame. PC>ps3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:39:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 12:08:00 PM PST
JWK says:
While I understand what you're trying to say, mayo, and I somewhat agree that because Halo is an outerspace shooter it requires more creativity than something like Uncharted. I also agree that when considering "graphics," art style plays a big role. But you're making it sound like Naughty Dog did something incredibly easy when they made Uncharted. If the series was as big of a turn-key, derivative concept as you're making it out to be, it would have bombed for those very reasons. It wouldn't have stood out and no one would have cared about it. But virtually everyone who games, rival developers (like Cliffy B), and critics see Uncharted as not just some generic Indiana Jones rip-off, but as the pinnacle of modern action games. It's the standard other third person action games are compared against. It's not nearly as simple as you make it out to be. And, by the way, Uncharted DOES have a distinct art style as well. Uncharted games have a style, look, and "world" just as much as the Halo games do.

Edit: I'd also like to state the obvious - Halo wasn't created in a vacuum. There was just as much precedent for the alien planet world of Halo as there was for the treasure hunting earthly world of Uncharted.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 11:52:53 AM PST
I'm Uzi says:
http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html

What's #1? Oh yeah, a Wii game. Graphics don't matter. But still, Super Mario Galaxy looks damn good.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions