Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

DmC: Devil May Cry demo impressions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 65 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 20, 2012 10:53:09 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:07 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2012 11:02:46 PM PST
I like your one word review. It's upfront, in big letters, and saves me time from having to read a lot of text.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 12:43:01 AM PST
Ed Jones says:
Glad it's solid. They never got a fair shake in early buzz because fanboys were too busy raging on character design to look at gameplay.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 12:51:49 AM PST
Nicos says:
Good to know. How much of the dynamic environments are in the demo? That was one of the things that brought me around on this game in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 5:08:07 AM PST
Phranctoast says:
Not to mention hating on Ninja Theory..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 5:21:57 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
i havent tried this, but i did pick up the DMC collection over the weekend. i never made it far through the first one, because i never owned a ps2 long enough to do so. i think i made it to the spider boss, and thats about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 5:59:22 AM PST
"unlike Bayonetta, where the music felt completely out of place"

D'aaaw, I love Bayonetta's music...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:32:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 8:05:55 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I loved the things I already knew I was a fan of - the style of the game, the visuals, the cinematic environment that shifts and changes as you move along, the facial animations - just the overall "look" of the game, the parts I knew I'd like because Ninja Theory is at the helm. I like the Dante character. He definitely has some cheesy dialogue (Even has a James Bond-esque one-liner after the boss fight), but it wasn't offensively bad. And the boss fight was a lot of fun.

Full disclosure: I've played very little of the DMC games, and I'm not really a fan of the hack 'n slash that focus so much on comboing.

That being said, the combat and controls is where it fell a bit flat for me. Dispatching enemies wasn't exactly difficult (I was playing on Normal), but it was never particularly smooth or engaging. And that's largely because the controls were far from perfect for me, and will take a lot of getting used to. Holding L2 and R2 will each give you an extra set of seemingly more powerful moves (though, as far as I saw, the tutorial never gave any indication as to what the benefits of them were exactly). That felt pretty clunky to me. Perhaps this is just how these games have always controlled, in which case most fans of the series will be used to them.

So the game went from a "I may possibly pre-order this" to a "I'll wait on a price drop". I didn't hate it - FAR from it - but the combat was enough to make me hold off just a bit.

I'd say if you're a fan of Ninja Theory's aesthetic stylings/character focus as well as a fan of DMC's combo system/controls, you'll almost certainly enjoy this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:36:27 AM PST
Not yet but you've definitely made me excited to check it out.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 6:37:32 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I enjoyed the stylings of the game so much that I may retry the demo with a different control scheme. I really want to like that aspect of it. Heh, not that I need any more 2013 pre-orders.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 6:37:49 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Pre-ordered the second I finished!

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 6:38:55 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Interesting. I've downloaded the demo but have yet to get to it. I really hope I like it because I love the series, but honestly, everything I've seen of the game so far has been a giant "no".

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 6:42:34 AM PST
The demo was SLICK! AS! HELL! Loved it! And I was also in the camp of not liking the new Dante when they first announced it but I was wrong big time on this one, it just became one of my most anticipated games for next year. Like Barney Gumble once said on the Simpsons after winning a life time supply of Duff beer, "Just hook it to my veins!", thats how I feel after playing the demo. Ninja Theory is quickly becoming one of my favorite developers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:42:36 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Relatively speaking, there was a decent amount of the dynamic environment traversal. Probably my favorite parts of the demo, actually, along with the boss fight.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:46:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 6:50:26 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Good thing this game is coming out next year, or else it looks like Game of Thrones The Game would have some serious competition for GOTY.

As much as I love Ninja Theory I have zero interest in this game, not sure why.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:49:01 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
o_0

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:50:48 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:51:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2012 6:52:45 AM PST
What? You didn't hear? As awesome as Game of Thrones is it was replaced by Borderlands 2 as my game of the year. As for DMC being game of the year for next year I don't know about that, however greatest video game of all time! There is a real possibility.

Edit: Play the demo and your interest will go from 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:52:26 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
WHAT!?! I can't believe it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:52:43 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
"The new Dante is a bit cheesy in the dialog department, but it works and fits the game."

Dante? Cheesy dialogue!? Unacceptable!!

The old Devil May Cry games never stooped to silly one-liners and had deep and meaningful quotes like, "flock off, featherface," and "I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with light!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:55:38 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:08 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:56:32 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
And the delivery of that last line was perfection. Like, if there was an Academy Award for video game actors, that one moment would have sealed the deal.

My favorite bit of dialogue from the demo:

Evil monster: "F*** you."
Dante: "F*** you!"
Evil monster: "F*** YOU!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 6:59:25 AM PST
Yeah, that exchange between Dante and the boss was some fine writting. That boss fight was pretty sweet.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 6:59:42 AM PST
My biggest complaint about the demo (and this DMC's gameplay in general) is the lack of a lock-on button. Several times throughout the demo I would try to lock-on to a particular enemy only to have Dante hopping around performing a dodge roll. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the demo (even with all of the audio issues.... I'm playing on PS3 BTW) but the gameplay felt really foreign to me (a long-time DMC fan). I remember them (Ninja Theory) stating that the gameplay would feel familiar but different from previous DMC games... it is just that while I played the demo, it felt like I was playing a completely different game... not a DMC game. Also, I hope the difficulty gets ramped up from the demo because Nephilim (a.k.a. Hard mode) was a joke. Even with the controls feeling awkward to me I still had no trouble curb-stomping everything the demo through at me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 7:01:56 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Yeah, those were the instances where I knew to use the trigger attacks, but wasn't sure beyond that. During one of the load screens I got a little more info about "angel" attacks, but nothing in-game, really.

I was constantly using the grapples. Figured it'd be better to keep the combo going than trying to run around after the enemies. And I still never managed to get my combos above a "B".
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Nov 20, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions