Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time Trailer Shows Augmented Reality Feature from the PS Vita to the PS3

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 11:24:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 11:24:29 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Pretty neat.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/10634/article/sly-cooper-thieves-in-time-trailer-shows-augmented-reality-feature-from-the-ps-vita-to-the-ps3/

Sony has released a new trailer for Sanzaru Games' upcoming Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. However, in this video, it's not the actual gameplay that's shown off, but rather the game's PlayStation Vita version's use of "augmented reality."

Just in case you didn't know, Thieves in Time will be released both for the PS3 and PS Vita and is part of Sony's "Cross Buy" program. What it means is if you buy the PS3 version. you'll get the PS Vita version free of charge, too.

In this video shown below, the game's developers show off how the PS Vita can interact with the PS3 version for new gameplay possibilites. Even if you're not a fan of Sly Cooper, I think it warrants a watch seeing as this could be the start of something good for PS3 to PS Vita interaction.

It's just used for snagging in-game collectibles in Thieves in Time. But can you imagine the possiblities if this is implemented in creative ways? It could essentially do what the Wii U does -- albeit, in a much more expensive way.

Do you think augmented reality on the PS Vita to the PS3 could be something special or will it go the way of the PlayStation Move that's just good for niche games?

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is scheduled for a February 5, 2013 release on the PS3 and PS Vita.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTAX23oCPxE&feature=player_embedded

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:31:28 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
"It could essentially do what the Wii U does -- albeit, in a much more expensive way."

I'm getting the weirdest sense of deja vu, here...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:35:41 AM PST
I. Flores says:
If you could take the WiiU's gamepad beyond the toilet, that comment would make some sense.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:35:51 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Just take that vita home, snap it on your Move sharpshooter - baby, you got yourself a stew goin'!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:37:29 AM PST
Benpachi says:
It's a wonderful restaurant!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:40:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 11:42:17 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
The feature has some really cool potential, but ultimately it's only going to be a gimmick. Much like the Move and Sharpshooter, despite it being a neat feature, the fact that they can't reasonably make owning a Vita a requirement to play a PS3 game means that they can't put AAA development efforts into something like this. It wouldn't be worth the cost given the size of the market.

And if a big game ever did give Vita owners any semi-important exclusive features, people would whine and cry foul like when Bioware *required* you to play MP in ME3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:42:05 AM PST
Emu kind of nailed it, and doesn't sound very emu about it either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:43:44 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
You aren't inserting enough implied pouts and sobs into my posts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:44:13 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
The fact that its a gimmick, i don't dispute. I see much of the Wii U premise the same way.

What i have zero confidence in is Sony supporting this long term in any meaningful way, particularly if it realizes these efforts gain little traction where they expect it : sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:44:58 AM PST
Emu?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:48:30 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I used the word gimmick even though I kind of hate it... realistically, the only difference between a gimmick and an awesome new feature is whether or not people decide they like it. I just don't see this getting the kind of support needed to make people all of a sudden say "hey, where has this been all my life?"

And I think similar things about any multiplatform titles on the Wii U.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:59:44 AM PST
This.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions