Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

UK Press Pins Blame For Sandy Hook Massacre On Video Games

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 67 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 8:59:29 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Here we go again.....

UK newspapers The Sun and The Daily Express have laid the blame for last week's tragic school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut squarely at the feet of violent video games such as Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 and Dynasty Warriors.

20 children and six adults were ruthlessly gunned down by 20-year-old Adam Lanza, who had previously shot dead his own mother. He eventually turned the gun on himself.

UK Tabloid The Sun - not exactly famed for its subtlety - features the cover headline "KILLER'S CALL OF DUTY OBSESSION", and in a double-page spread notes that Lanza would play Activision's shooter for hours in his mother's basement - dubbed "BLACK OPS BUNKER" by the newspaper.

The source of this information comes from plumber Peter Wlasuk, who visited the Lanza home previously:

The boys were fans of the military. They had posters all over the wall in the basement. They had one poster of every piece of military equipment the US ever made.

It was a huge poster with every tank every made. The kids could tell you about guns they had never seen from the '40s, '50s and '60s. The kids who play these games know all about them.

I'm not blaming the games for what happened. But they see a picture of a historical gun and say 'I've used that on Call Of Duty'.

Ironically, the headlines follow incredibly positive coverage of the video game by The Sun. As Eurogamer points out:

In a preview published in September The Sun said Black Ops 2 was "set to be the shooter of the future".

On 9th November The Sun ran a piece plugging an Activision event in London that let Call of Duty fans play Black Ops 2 ahead of release. "Thousands will be able to do battle through Multiplayer mode, as well as checking out the arsenal of new weapons and drone attacks on offer," The Sun said.

Then, in a report on the game's launch on 13th November, The Sun delivered its verdict on Black Ops 2, saying, "Graphically, the game is sublime, something the series' reputation is built on. It's not subtle or tactile. It's pure, unadulterated warfare."

Meanwhile, fellow UK tabloid The Daily Express has decided that Koei Tecmo's historical action series Dynasty Warriors is at fault, although it gave no reason for arriving at this assumption. According to the paper:

Chillingly, his favourite video game was said to be a shockingly violent fantasy war game called Dynasty Warriors which is thought to have given him inspiration to act on his darkest thoughts.

This is clearly a very sensitive subject. What are your thoughts regarding these tragic events? Should video games shoulder some of the blame, or are these terrible acts committed by people who would ultimately harm others regardless of what form of entertainment they chose to indulge in?

*Sigh*

Why can't a person just have mental problems anymore? Why can't a person who does something like this just be disturbed? Oh nooo, it isn't bad enough that something like this even happens, they then HAVE to go blame it on Video games.

I think it's safe to say now that any disturbed person plays video games, does so to "train" for their big day. And video games will ALWAYS be the "usual suspect" whenever something like this happens.

This doesn't happen in TV, Movies, Music (anymore). I just don't understand it, it's this kind of absentee logic that makes life more confusing than necessary.

Every time this blame game is played, it resets gaming on it's path to become truly mainstream.

Back to square one I guess...

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:02:23 PM PST
I stopped reading this when it said the source of information came from a plumber.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:04:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 9:04:32 PM PST
Maybe this kid was a hard core japanime freak, they have just as much violence. Why is it always about vidgames?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:05:20 PM PST
Cinema Fan says:
Anyone find it weird that 2 of the biggest catastrophes this year have had the word "Sandy" in it?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:06:51 PM PST
K Archer says:
I didn't even get that far, TBH. But that is hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:11:09 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:05 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:12:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 9:12:49 PM PST
Cinema Fan says:
Yeah, his mom was divorced, and lived in a nice big house paid by alimony money from dad, a corporate exec.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:13:31 PM PST
I actually didn't think about that. Freaky.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:18:26 PM PST
KrisCo says:
Oh cool British people have newspapers too.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:35:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 9:36:59 PM PST
col's says:
please be aware that these newspapers in Britain are regarded much like, or worse than the American enquirer in their content. they have previously had headlines like ' immigrants cause cancer' etc. they are regularly used as a joke on TV and in our lives. e.g.: ' did you hear about the Sun reader who robbed a bank? He sawed the wrong end off his shotgun.' also the Sun carries topless photos of women on page 3, as a ' tradition'. As newspapers go, they make a good base for a fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:14:38 PM PST
AndrewA says:
I'm curious what inspiration dynasty warriors would've given him.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:02:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 11:05:43 PM PST
T. Montana says:
By that logic, if he likes sports like Madden, and it's found in his game console, should all football be banned? How many people play Call of Duty vs how many performed mass shootings? Once again, media( music, movies, and in particular video games) is the scapecoat pundits use to blame instead of confronting the real issue(s), gun control, security vs freedom, and mental health. There is no COD game that simulates the shooting of innocent, defenseless children in a school. Everyone says (America in general), they are saddened but in a few months , politics just sweeps it under the rug, news media jumps to the next news cycle, and everything is forgotten til the next massacre. As I've said before, America loves its guns more than the people that lost their lives to them. Although I'm neutral on guns, we as a people need to focus on these issues with realism, rather than skepticalism and quit the witch hunting.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:54:38 PM PST
K. Wendt says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:37:50 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Sounds like they got it from an industry insider!

Mario has betrayed us all!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:56:45 AM PST
Must not lose temper... must not lose temper...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:51:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 5:58:27 AM PST
Would have been more convincing if the plumbers name was Mario.

Edit: and this post wouldn't have been posted if I had scrolled down and seen that Fox had already made something similar.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:56:14 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
I dont belive it was video games. You cant shoot yourself in CoD.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:59:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 5:59:10 AM PST
Beau H. says:
Technically, you can with Last Stand.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:01:39 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Yeah, I think "UK Press" may be a bit misleading.

"UK Tabloids" would be more accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:02:18 AM PST
Ice King says:
They call them reading pages.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:02:30 AM PST
OP says:
It's an odd choice. The only Warriors title that was rated M was Legends of Troy; as far as I can recall, there's no blood spilled in any of the other titles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:03:00 AM PST
Beau H. says:
Let's get real here: is there really a difference anymore? That goes for any country.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:05:04 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Yes there is a difference.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:12:13 AM PST
"also the Sun carries topless photos of women on page 3, as a ' tradition'"

which is why it's the most popular newspaper in the UK :)

hello from UK btw - if any of you guys see any headlines from the sun/the star/the mirror then take it all with a huge pinch of salt.

it's a headline from the express/daily mail then burn it with fire as those two are detestable

if you see a headline from the times/the guardian/the independent/the observer/the financial times then take it as it is. these last 5 newpapers are good and reputable.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:20:12 AM PST
Beau H. says:
What about the BBC? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9dn1HhYXpE
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
OT: I Think ISIS is Trying To Recruit Me 7 34 seconds ago
Destiny PS4 VGF Clan 273 1 minute ago
Are Video Games Sexist? 84 2 minutes ago
New TGS Bloodborne trailer 11 2 minutes ago
News: Ubisoft's The Crew Is Always Online, Has 6000 Km Of Road, No Dynamic Weather & No Loading 35 3 minutes ago
OT: Feds Talk of Raising Interest Rates after "Considerable Time" Passes End of Stimulus Program 31 4 minutes ago
Fairy Fencer F Out Today 33 4 minutes ago
5 reasons why Forza is better than Gran Transactions 23 4 minutes ago
Chinese Xbox One Games Contain A One-Time Activation Code, Cannot Be Resold 18 6 minutes ago
OT: Does Anybody Here Remember Goosebumps? 58 7 minutes ago
Zoe Quinn: 5 Things I Learned as the Internet's Most Hated Person (Also, it's a Cracked Article!) 114 7 minutes ago
Weekly Hardware Chart 06th September 2014 Xbox One Launches In 29 Countries And Only Manages To Outsell PS4 By 5,000 Units. 28 11 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  67
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions