Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

IGN Reviews - Darksiders 2 (Wii U)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 17, 2012 10:22:10 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
The rest of the review is essentially the same, the exception being a section titled "The Wii U difference" which is what I'll be posting.

Bigger isn't always better... and that applies to the Wii U version as well.

If you've already played Darksiders II on PS3, Xbox 360 or PC, there's really no need to pick it up again. The Wii U version is a fairly straightforward port, one that looks and runs the same as the original. It's essentially the exact same game experience, albeit with a few keys differences - differences that make this version a great value for anyone who missed the game the first time around.

To start, the Wii U version includes the Argul's Tomb DLC that was sold separately with the other versions, as well as the Death Rides, Angel of Death, Shadow of Death and Deadly Despair Packs. You can play using either the Wii U GamePad or the more traditional Pro controller. Both are great options, though using the GamePad for a game like this takes some getting used to. The adjustment period is mercifully brief, though, and the GamePad is quite ergonomic and more than competent once you've adapted.

Being able to access maps and menus and to equip items on the fly with the touchscreen is a cool addition, but doesn't significantly affect the overall experience. You can also shake the GamePad to dodge if you so please, though you can opt to use the roll button instead, or even disable motion controls all together. It works better than you would think, but most gamers will probably prefer to just use a button.

These additions aside, Darksiders II is very much the same game. I did find it was a bit glitchy when I first tried playing exclusively on the GamePad screen. In fact, when I first tested this feature the action was successfully moved to the GamePad but I lost control of Death and had to reboot twice. Every other time it worked flawlessly, though, so this random glitch likely won't effect most players.

The Verdict

Despite its problems, I was compelled onward in my quest with Death because Darksiders II is simply a fun game. The RPG elements and to-the-point action all make for some solid gaming, glitches and all. It's a shame so many glaring issues hold such an ambitious endeavor back from the greatness its developers were clearly aiming for. Still, if you love action adventure games, it's certainly worth checking out - but don't expect it to rival the masterpieces it will inevitably call to mind.

Score: 7.5 - Good

Darksiders II is a good game with some big issues, but still absolutely worth playing for adventure lovers.

Pros:

+Epic boss fights
+Awesome RPG elements

Cons:

- Too repetitive
- Lots of random glitches

This one remains largely unchanged in the Wii U version apparently, I didn't pick this one up when it originally dropped. Will be looking into it as soon as finance and opportunity allows.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:42:41 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:
I played it on the 360 and the game is epic. This should be a day one buy for anyone that is getting a Wii U and hasn't played it already.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions