Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

IGN Gamescoop! The game that Defines a Generation

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2012 3:26:14 PM PST
http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/11/09/game-scoop-the-game-that-defines-this-generation

Stumbled upon this video, and I thought that this was a very interesting video. With a great question, at that.

It might be an opinion that most people share. I believe that there is no "single" game that defines this generation, but I think this is an interesting discussion either way. So what games do you think define this generation, and why? Or what games defined the generation for you?

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 3:34:07 PM PST
new Tron says:
For me, it's the Mass Effect series.

Two elements of this generation that really stand out for me, and that I think will go a long way in defining this generation when the history books are written, is the advancement of narrative in games, and the hybridization of genres. Mass Effect told a great story in a way that hasn't really been done before. And also, if you guys have noticed, it's becoming harder and harder to place games into pre-defined genres. Is Mass Effect an RPG with that replaces typcial RPG combat with shooting? Or is it a third person shooter with RPG elements? It's both, and probably more. Lots of games have mashed up genres this generation, and I think that's awesome.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 3:51:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 3:52:26 PM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Mass Effect and Bioshock shook up this industry for me than any other IP's.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:09:00 PM PST
Voice of god says:
The Portal games.

Because science.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:40:15 PM PST
JJ4prez says:
I think large sand box games really proved the generation for me... (Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, RDR, GTA, Just Cause 2, etc.)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 5:00:07 PM PST
Pick 34 says:
I think this gen is going to go down as the cod gen. Think about how much online gaming has exploded the start of this gen. For me personally, it would be mass effect, uncharted, red dead, and bioshock.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 5:39:04 PM PST
Horowitz says:
Couldn't pick. Vertical and horizontal scrolling shooters have probably been my favorites this generation, but those are so old school. I just find it odd and great that Xbox 360 got so many of them, and Under Defeat HD is coming soon to PS3 while Ginga Force is coming soon to Xbox 360, both retail games.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions