Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Dragon's Dogma or Witcher 2?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 20, 2013 1:12:16 PM PDT
Error says:
Which should be my next RPG? Kingdoms of Amalur was in contention but far too many of you have said it just becomes a chore after awhile. Reasons behind personal preferences appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 1:13:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2013 1:14:26 PM PDT
DD has better combat and more exploration while Witcher 2 has the better narrative.

Although, DD's story was one of my favorites from last year. I really enjoyed it. They don't spoon feed the story to you, similar to the Souls series.

Tough call. Have you played The Witcher 1?

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 1:14:08 PM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
If you don't already own Dragon's Dogma wait for Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen in April.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 1:15:00 PM PDT
DVvM says:
Don't buy Dragon's Dogma right now. The Super Turbo edition comes out in April (for $40), buy that instead.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 1:16:17 PM PDT
Might as well play Kingdoms of Amalur until the DD expansion comes out :)

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 1:17:09 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Yes, wait for the new version of Dragon's Dogma, unless you already own it.

The Witcher 2 is more or less a very linear narrative-driven RPG, whereas DD is more open and about exploration and combat(though like Capt said it also has a very cool story).

Both are awesome.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 1:19:10 PM PDT
DVvM says:
I honestly would suggest Amalur, I had a lot of fun with it and you should be able to get it for pretty cheap now.

It's not a fantastic game, but it's a solid 8/10 game for those who like WRPGs. Unfocused, but fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 1:23:22 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Yeah I loved Reckoning too.

Can't really go wrong with any of the 3.

Also, The Witcher 2 is pretty short, so if that's important to you you might want to focus on the other 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 1:25:53 PM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
But what if you can get DD for $5?

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 1:33:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2013 1:34:47 PM PDT
Error says:
Good point about waiting for the Dark Arisen version of DD, I forgot that would be coming out. The main thing that interest me about The Witcher 2 is the "adult" narrative and branching dialogue/quests. I suppose I could put Amalur back on the table, I've just read that many here didn't finish the game or had to slog through to finish it. I'd rather have a 20hr game I thoroughly enjoy than 100hrs that become tedious.

Thank you for the responses though I remain undecided.

edit: and no, I have not played the first Witcher.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 1:44:14 PM PDT
I haven't played DD, but I cannot recommend Witcher 2 enough. It is an excellent, story-driven RPG.

I also never played the first Withcer and it didn't affect my enjoyment or understanding in the least.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 2:17:30 PM PDT
The Witcher 2. Best game of 2011.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 2:18:33 PM PDT
Witcher II, no contest.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 2:39:48 PM PDT
Error says:
I wish I would have pulled the trigger a couple months ago when I saw Witcher 2 for 19.99 here on Amazon.

Where would Skyrim fall amongst these titles?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 3:01:03 PM PDT
Skyrim is completely different. It's far more expansive than either of the other two, and is set up totally different also. DD is closer in style to Skyrim than Witcher 2 though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 3:11:22 PM PDT
waxc3 says:
Very good point! Wait for the Dark Arisen version. More game for discounted price. That's my vote.
I didn't enjoy anything about the Witcher2 other than the intro video.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 3:14:19 PM PDT
elect Tron says:
Buy all three.

Kingdoms of Amalur is a great RPG. The caveat is that you have to skip aproximately 40% of the side quests if you don't want to hit the level cap too quickly.

I've only played the first couple of hours of Dragon's Dogma (via the Adventurer's demo), and I loved it and will be getting Dark Arisen in April.

The Witcher 2 is amazing. I highly recommend it, as well as the first game, which is also fantastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 3:30:02 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Less fun, more stuff to do; still great.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 3:37:45 PM PDT
I hope the Dark Arisen expansion is good. Vanilla Dragon's Dogma was completely devoid of life, making it a very bland and lifeless setting for an open world game. Nothing felt lived in to me. Whereas The Witcher II's environments and characters felt meticulously crafted, Dragon's Dogma's felt like hollow shells that were prototypes for a much more grand and ambitious experiment that ultimately got cut short by the realities of game development.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 3:53:00 PM PDT
The Witcher 2 has a very mature, adult-oriented storyline and world that I personally appreciate and enjoy. However, the combat feels clunky and unsatisfying. I haven't played Dragon's Dogma. Amalur's combat is fun, and I was pretty hooked to it for a solid 20 hours, then the so-so story and (IMO) uninteresting world caused me to lose interest.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 4:01:43 PM PDT
The Witcher baby!

I don't know, I haven't played it but it sounds like a game series that I would fall in love with. I wish I had a damn gaming PC. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 4:11:35 PM PDT
A. Ramos says:
Witcher 2 for PC is $6 at origins. You might want to buy that and preorder DD Arisen.

http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.246002800

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 4:13:39 PM PDT
If I had to choose between the 3, Amalur would easily get my vote. Yes, combat gets repetitive...but I certainly wouldn't call it a chore. It's one of my favorite games this gen. Deep world with fantastic art direction, interesting story/characters, and tons to do. Awesome.

The other two are also fantastic games, though between them I'd go with Witcher 2. The story and combat were much better in Witcher 2. It's also more focused. Not necessarily linear, but not open world. DD isn't really open world either, though more so than W2. Both are fantastic. I'd also second the person who suggested you wait for Dark Arisen if you decide on DD.

I'd really encourage you to reconsider Amalur though.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 4:15:29 PM PDT
This. Honestly, while Skyrim is fantastic, I'd rank them 1. Amalur, 2. W2, 3. DD, 4. Skyrim. YMMV.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 4:16:24 PM PDT
I agree with this 100%.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Mar 20, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions