Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

psp vs. ps vita

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 89 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2013 12:09:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 12:10:49 PM PDT
Beau H. says:
So, my birfday is next Tuesday and I was contemplating getting either a PSP or a PS Vita...what do you suggest?

I'm primarily interested in sports games and/or casual & classic games.

Thus far, what I've been able to deduce about the PSP:

1. It's cheaper
2. There are more games and they are cheaper
3. It doesn't require a memory card (?) - not sure on this one
4. PS1 classics can be downloaded to it

The PS Vita:

1. It's the "new thing"
2. Newer, graphically better games
3. More features

Still, I can't decide. I priced a PSP with 2 games and it came to a total of $125 here on Amazon, the PSP with two games was closer to $300.

Thoughts and opinions?

Eidt: Apparently I reached Amazon's "capital letter limit" so that's why my title is not grammatically correct.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:12:38 PM PDT
jtshiel says:
Here are the PS Vita's top games from the latest GameInformer:
1. Little Big Planet vita
2. Gravitry Rush
3. the Settings screen
4. Assassin's Creed: Liberation

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:13:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 12:18:15 PM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
PS1 classics can be downloaded to the Vita. The vast majority of PSP games you'd want to play can also be downloaded to the Vita, so cross 2 and 4 off the list of pros for the PSP.

The main advantage of a PSP would be that you could get UMD games for super cheap.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:14:14 PM PDT
saskamazon says:
both are great handhelds ... really depends on your budget - I kept my psp 3000 b/c I wanted to be able to access my umds ... but I really like the DL games for the Vita ... maybe look for a sale on the Vita & get a used psp - I've seen many ads here locally for $40 with a game ... not too expensive.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:14:37 PM PDT
If you can afford it, Vita all the way.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:14:44 PM PDT
Get this or this. You'll be much happier.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:15:19 PM PDT
If cost is not an issue then I'd go with the Vita since it can play most of the PSP games (in digital form) and has PlayStation Plus support. Just realize you'll want a hefty memory card unless you enjoy moving large files back and forth. Also, if you happen to be one of those trophy whores the Vita does have them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:15:35 PM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
The only thing better about the PSP is the price IMO. The Vita can do everything the PSP can do except play UMD's. I personally hated UMD's because of the noise and how slow they were to read.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:17:59 PM PDT
Vita....dat screen....mmmmmm.....oh and the fact that I really enjoy the Vita's 2 analog nubs and ability to pause apps and go to the main menu and resume instantly upon returning.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:19:52 PM PDT
Horowitz says:
I have the Panzer Dragoon R-Zone. I also have a Game.com that I paid $5 for complete at Goodwill. Lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:22:02 PM PDT
LOL, I actually had the latter.

It was absolutely terrible.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:22:51 PM PDT
UMD stands for Ultimate Messy Destructables. Seriously, I almost ditched my PSP because those things broke so easily. I would go for the vita if I were you. It has fifa (which is great), madden, and need for speed. Games are still coming out for it and it is about to receive a price drop here pretty soon. I am actually about to sell my vita. Not because it isn't good, but because I prefer the nintendo type games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:22:57 PM PDT
Horowitz says:
Resident Evil on Game.com is the most terrifying survival horror game ever.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:23:22 PM PDT
Btw, have a happy birfday.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:24:01 PM PDT
LOL, does it scare game designers due to its bad game design?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:24:16 PM PDT
I've got the pocket version of the Game.com. I loved that thing back in junior high.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:24:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 12:28:34 PM PDT
Beau H. says:
That's the thing, I really like the Vita but cost is sort of an issue. I wouldn't play it enough to justify $300-$350; I was hoping the price would have dropped to $199 by now...even then, it'd be a little more than I'm comfortable spending. But, the Vita does seem cool. I haven't owned a handheld in a long time and I've had my eye on it for a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:27:44 PM PDT
Beau H. says:
Ha ha, thanks!

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:27:44 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
If you like sports games go with Vita for a closer-to-console experience on the go.

Plus with PSN you can get plenty of casual/classic games on Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:27:50 PM PDT
Well, the PSP does have tons of games for cheap and lots of them are really good, especially for RPG fans.

It just won't get much future support or Plus.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:29:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 12:35:16 PM PDT
The Vita is going to receive a price drop in a few montha. Do not buy it yet! And if you want a $199 handheld, definitly get the 3DS XL. It has some good sports games, and is known for being a more 'casual' handheld.

EDIT: Don't forget that the 3DS has backwards compatibilty. All those DS games are playable on it. So look at it this way. You want classic games? Here is what you could get with the 3DS: Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, Starfox 64, Diddy Kong Racing, and of course, all those other mario games. Mario Kart 7 is great fun too. If you like mario and/or zelda, the 3DS is the way to to. When I got my Vita last year, I thought it was far superior to the 3DS in every way. I forgot one way, though. Games. Nintendo is awesome at combining great hardware with great software. Truely magical moments.

Another addition, with the clam-shell design of the 3DS, the chances of the important things (buttons, screen) getting damaged are greatly reduced. Look at those Vita nubs, those are going to pop right off!

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:29:45 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
I suggest you go for the Vita also. The PSP is on its way out, and it's getting really difficult to even find UMD's in stores nowadays. The Vita can download a huge majority of PSP games and PS1 games, plus you have the Vita games as well. You can also get PS+ and get more Vita and PSP content that way without paying extra. The initial investment might be pricey, but it should last you a long time vs. buying a PSP and being forced to upgrade to the Vita in a short while.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:31:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 12:31:57 PM PDT
Beau H. says:
Ya, to be honest, I'm not really interested in Plus. What initially attracted me to the PSP is the fact they they have MLB games (which I love), but the Vita has The Show 13...so it's kind of a wash. However, the PSP has a Sega Genesis collection game and a Burnout game and that really helped to tip the scales in its favor...but then I saw that the Vita is getting a Killzone game this fall and the scales balanced again :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:33:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 12:36:00 PM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
Vita has Need for Speed Most Wanted, which was made by the developers of Burnout and it's a near identical port of the PS3/360 game. The Genesis collection can also be downloaded to Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:36:57 PM PDT
Beau H. says:
I have Most Wanted on my iPad so I wouldn't get it for the Vita. That's cool that the Sega collection can be downloaded to the Vita...any idea how much it is?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Oct PS+: Driveclub, Dust, Spelunky, Batman AA, D&D, Pix The Cat, Rainbow Moon 17 9 seconds ago
Your Thoughts on Upcoming Wii U games? 9 40 seconds ago
final fantasy xiii-2 *spoilers* 16 58 seconds ago
DayZ For Xbox One Looks Likely as Dev Denies PS4 Exclusivity 13 1 minute ago
My impressions of Mordor after around 1 1/2 hours on PC. Hint: It's good. 172 1 minute ago
Destiny Engram Patch detailed....finally! 217 1 minute ago
Girl, 16, to be tried as adult in Craigslist Playstation slaying 40 1 minute ago
OT: Week 5 of the NFL Season: With no stand out teams...the NFL season seems to be open for just about anyone....except for the raiders. WHO YA GOT! 32 2 minutes ago
Closed Beta for 'The Crew" Coming to the PS4/X1 in September. 15 2 minutes ago
Jason the rational Sony fan, where are you? 0 3 minutes ago
Hyrule Warriors, anyone playing it? 30 4 minutes ago
Weekly Sales Sept 20th 2014 5 13 minutes ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  27
Total posts:  89
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions