Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Summary of the Legislation on the 2013 Assault Weapons Ban

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 220 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 27, 2012 10:03:25 AM PST
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve/?File_id=10993387-5d4d-4680-a872-ac8ca4359119

Summary of 2013 legislation

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:

120 specifically-named firearms
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
Banning firearms with "thumbhole stocks" and "bullet buttons" to address attempts to "work around" prior bans
Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

Background check of owner and any transferee;
Type and serial number of the firearm;
Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

So, if you own a grandfathered weapon they expect you to get fingerprinted, certified, inspected, another background check, and provide funding to the ATF for implementation of the registration (fees).

Nice.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:05:33 AM PST
Sounds good.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:08:35 AM PST
Wait, so criminals are going to obey this right?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:09:26 AM PST
User says:
This didn't take long. GDI.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:10:33 AM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
Let the fight begin.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:11:54 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
i think the grandfather clause should be removed.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:12:45 AM PST
Sounds reasonable to me.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:28:51 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Doesn't go as deep as I would like, but it seems like an incredibly reasonable compromise and something we should have been doing anyway. The gun nuts you'll find on the politics forum will scream tyranny, but there's really nothing in here that should be a problem for a reasonable, law-abiding gun owner.

One thing I would add, though, is mandatory safe storage, like a gun safe, or at least metal trigger locks. That's one thing that actually could have prevented a tragedy like the Sandy Hook shooting, as well as hundreds of crimes and accidental shootings each year.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:31:36 AM PST
Hey look! More BS from Washington that won't change a thing beyond making life a pain for law abiding citizens!

I really wish these people would focus on the real problems instead of fighting imaginary problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:32:19 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
This is what Joe Biden came up with? Or is this Senators acting on their own?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:32:45 AM PST
"there's really nothing in here that should be a problem for a reasonable, law-abiding gun owner."

You don't think having to get fingerprinted, certified, inspected, another background check, and pay fees for a handgun you've already owned for a decade is bit excessive? Why not have everyone just add their name to a list of owners? This was only added so the government can enact stricter legislation down the road and already have access to a national list.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:33:13 AM PST
I'm pretty sure it was just the senator.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:33:19 AM PST
It always amazes me how much power people are eager to cede to the government.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:33:27 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Also, what about the gun show loop hole?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:34:36 AM PST
Any guesses on the percentage of people with grandfathered weapons who will actually admit they have them?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:34:59 AM PST
I'm sure that'll be addressed eventually. I agree that one should be closed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:35:23 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:35:44 AM PST
User says:
All of us who were required to register at purchase...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:35:58 AM PST
"One thing I would add, though, is mandatory safe storage, like a gun safe, or at least metal trigger locks. That's one thing that actually could have prevented a tragedy like the Sandy Hook shooting, as well as hundreds of crimes and accidental shootings each year."

You're kidding right? You have to be kidding because this kind of stupidity has to be a joke.

Terrible people will find a way to do terrible things. Ever notice how stores with security systems, locks, and other fancy things like that still get robbed and broken into? I highly doubt a mandatory safe law for guns would stop things like Sandy Hook or other horrible tragedies like that.

Stop trying to blame gun control and find an easy scapegoat for what happened and focus on the actual person responsible.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:36:06 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I agree with you here. I wouldn't want to have to go through the entire process again. It would be such a pain, that I might consider just giving up the gun. It's completely voluntary anyway, so people who had illegal guns today will still have illegal guns after (if) this goes into effect.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:37:43 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
The FBI already has everyone on file though, right? I know in NJ you have to submit to an FBI background check for a handgun. They might give everyone a year or so to voluntarily do it, then wouldn't they be able to cross reference their records and send notices to relinquish firearms for those who haven't done the recert?

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:37:54 AM PST
MrnDpty161 says:
There are many devils in these details, more so, there are a ton of people making wild statements and laws over subjects they know nothing about, from what I see here --- more tax dollars to the baloated ATF, and most of the regulatory expense being thrown to the States because the Federal Govt makes these contrived schemes hoping everyone else does the heavy work.

Non of this will stop the will of a killer, it never will --- the problem is more deeper than just a gun issue.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:38:15 AM PST
Tea party gonna be upset!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 10:38:16 AM PST
Fett986 says:
They are going to use this list as a basis for cause for unlawful search and seizure in the event of an incident. Someone used a 9mm handgun to kill someone? Well lookey here, all of these people have 9mm's with large clips! Let's start with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 10:38:20 AM PST
In short, no.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  220
Initial post:  Dec 27, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions