Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: What is the VGF reading?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 631 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 9:58:25 AM PDT
I know they say write what you know, but a biography such as that would be too depressing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2011 9:59:02 AM PDT
I try a little bit of everything, really. I try to do something different every time I finish a project. It all usually has "fantastic" elements in it, but I'm doing a bunch of different stuff.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 1:51:46 PM PST
Started A Wizard of Earthsea (The Earthsea Cycle, Book 1) yesterday, and I'm enjoying it well enough. I can see why it's a classic of high fantasy.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 1:53:23 PM PST
I think I'll grab Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle) for my kindle tomorrow, I'm actually looking forward to it. Loved those books, the movie was a BIT of a letdown.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 2:20:31 PM PST
That guy's still writing those? Dang.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 2:21:52 PM PST
It was supposed to be a trilogy, but he had too much and had to write one more. It's really quite good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 7:20:47 PM PST
It wasn't my cup of tea, but to each their own, right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 7:49:38 PM PST
Allah loves wondrous variety.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 3:27:59 AM PST
Just as I'm sure there's somebody out there who loves The Color Purple and isn't Oprah or an Oprah fan. There HAS to be someone...

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 4:56:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2011 4:58:07 AM PST
Meth Panther says:
Father & Son by Larry Brown

Currently reading this. Brutal. Love it. A scumbag gets out of prison and heads back to his Southern hometown. In the first 50 or so pages there's a double homicide and a barfight to the death between a man and a monkey.

You can feel the influence of Faulkner, and the characters (so far) are a little cliche, but the writing style is so good. Although I haven't finished yet I highly recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 5:08:21 AM PST
Hops says:
I had it pre-ordered, but forgot all about it. I was checking my mail this morning when I woke up, and saw that I had an email from Amazon concerning my order. It was a nice surprise :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 5:34:31 AM PST
J. Niles says:
Kirk did you read the 1st book yet?
I'm half way though book 4 now. Seems to be the slowest one so far.
I'll need to pick up the 5th one soon.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 5:58:41 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Almost done with Crown of Swords!

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 6:00:37 AM PST
Marvelous says:
Currently reading "Binge Drinking: A Campus Killer" - required reading for a class.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 6:25:06 AM PST
That sounds like a College 101 text book.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:13:26 PM PST
neu Tron says:
So what's everyone reading in this new year?

I read the first Hunger Games book over the holidays and really enjoyed it. It was paced well and had really good characters. One thing I liked about her writing is that she seems to really get to the point. Its as if she knew that she was sitting on a really good story, and doesn't waste the readers time with any "fat". It's a very "lean" book, and I liked that for a story of this type. While reading, I never once thought to myself, "alright already, let's get on with it!". Not sure if this makes any sense. Good book though. I'll be checking out the next two.

I'm currently re-reading Kurt Vonnegut's "Breakfast of Champions", an old favorite that I haven't read since my sophmore or junior year of college. It's cool how sometimes these books make so much more sense the older you get.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:18:38 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Recently finished The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. It started out wonderfully...much like The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons before it. Then, it's like Dan Brown got tired of writing and just filled the latter half with hideously contrived plot points and more deus ex machina than I've ever encountered before. All leading to the final ridiculous revelation that utterly failed to live up to what was built up. They're making a movie adaption of it, naturally, and Tom Hanks has once again accepted the role of Robert Langdon.

Now I'm reading...gulp...Twilight. I just had to see what the fuss was about. It's mildly entertaining, but has more typos and grammatical errors than an essay you would read in a remedial English class.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 12:19:24 PM PST
neu Tron says:
That's a shame about The Lost Symbol, Garion. Dan Brown is my guilty pleasure. I love his books, but haven't read The Lost Symbol yet.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:21:32 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
It most certainly is a shame. Seriously, several times throughout that book something major would happen to a character...then 3 or 4 chapters later some miracle gets pulled out of thin air that completely undoes the impact of said event. It's like...what's the point?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 12:23:39 PM PST
bperr says:
I am reading the Constitution of the United States of America and the Declaration of Independence...

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:24:11 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:26:17 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:24:14 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
I finished the Wheel of time for the 4th time last week, was trying to finish them in time to start the last book, but of course it got delayed like crazy.

Just ordered the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson so I plan to start that when it arrives, pretty excited, as I loved his work on the WoT.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 12:24:34 PM PST
bperr says:
Sarah Palins "GOING ROUGE"

I havent been able to sleep for weeks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 12:25:02 PM PST
GARION!!! you're reading TWILIGHT*??? LOL...are you falling in l*o*v*e* with BELLA or EDWARD??? winks*

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 12:25:20 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Oh, and a typical conversation with Langdon goes something like this:

Random expert: The Sacred Pyramid is actually [x], [y] and [z].
Langdon: That's not possible!!! I always heard it was [a], [b], [c]!!!!
Random expert: Ah, but the meaning is hidden!
Langdon: I don't believe you! It can't be true!!

This also happens over and over again. With everything that character has seen throughout three books, you'd think he'd be familiar with how symbolism works...
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  112
Total posts:  631
Initial post:  Oct 3, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions