Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Sony: Do not put your game console in the microwave

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2012 11:11:07 AM PST
PSA in case any of you were thinking of doing this:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2012/12/28/sony-warns-not-to-put-your-gaming-console-in-the-microwave-leaves-online-community-dumbfounded/

Sony's recent publicly-announced warning not to put your gaming console in the microwave, has left most of the online community completely lost for words. If you happen to be the owner of a Sony gaming console, placing it in the microwave only to fry the hell of it is surely the last thing on your agenda. Nevertheless, it cannot be denied that such reports have recently been doing the rounds on the net. Frying your treasured gaming console obviously defies all forms of common sense and I'm sure most of you will be racking your brains as to whom and under what circumstances would do such a thing.

So just why would Sony issue such a bizarre warning? In short, Sony appears only to be going by the facts, or should we say the evidence that remains resident on the game console after being submitted for repair:

"Of the defective products received by Sony, we have detected on some rate occasions evident changes in the shape of the unit and even burn marks that can only be assumed to have been brought about by the use of an electrical appliance such as a hairdryer or microwave".

Sony adds, "Heating up your game console leads not only to a defective unit but also creates the risk of a fire or even serious injury".

<snip>

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:12:42 AM PST
Now they tell me, I've gone through so many PS3s because of this.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:12:57 AM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Chalk one more up for the Xbox!

"Xbox: We're microwave safe!™"

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:13:52 AM PST
Well, it took until the 3rd to the last day of the year, but I've found my nomination for the 2012 Darwin Award.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:15:57 AM PST
That's really weird. I'd never put any of my beloved consoles in the microwave. I'd never put any of the Sony ones in there either.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:19:24 AM PST
KrisCo says:
Ban microwaves; they destroy PS3.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:49:06 AM PST
Rev. Otter says:
o.O

wow. i was JUST last night overhearing a teamspeak convo about putting an XBox in an oven. i didn't pay much attention, but i guess it stuck in the back of my mind.

turns out, it IS a thing ...

http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27431howtoreflowyour3url

is this Sony PSA related? at all?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:52:02 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Probably a lot of those are the result of people trying to reflow their PS3s with a heat gun or hairdryer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 11:52:40 AM PST
LMAO.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:57:41 PM PST
I got the YLOD on my PS3 last fall and my neighbor told me how to reflow it in the oven. I messed up and fried the wireless cable on accident and had to spend a few dollars to replace that, but it's been running like a top ever since (knock on wood). I have to admit I did feel a bit weird putting my PS3 (at least part of it) in the oven at 450 or whatever, lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 2:58:21 PM PST
Sony: "Burn damage? On our system? You expect me to believe this was caused by poor ventilation or hardware malfunction, f that, this was microwaves... Also aliens... Please remember to put tinfoil hats on your ps3s to protect them..."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 3:00:53 PM PST
1#Fetish says:
I think the microwave might be in danger if it's near the 360.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 3:04:29 PM PST
PS3? In my microwave? It's more likely than you think.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 9:07:24 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:34:17 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions