Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: New 21.5 inch IMACS RAM is not user upgradeable WTF!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 9:42:10 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Base 21.5-inch model: Only one internal customization is available on the $1299 base model, with a $200 charge to upgrade RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB. The RAM is not officially user-upgradable, so those interested in 16 GB of RAM may be interested in considering this option.

- High-end 21.5-inch model: In addition to the same RAM upgrade option available on the low-end model, the high-end model starting at $1499 also offers options for a processor bump from 2.9 GHz Core i5 to 3.1 GHz Core i7 ($200) and to upgrade the base 1 TB hard drive to a Fusion Drive ($250) that incorporates solid-state storage for faster performance.

So if you want to go from 8GB to 16GB you have to fork over $200 before you order the IMAC thats just messed up and really bad way to get people looking for the low end version to give up more money IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 9:48:29 AM PST
While it wouldn't surprise me if this is the case all the posted info on this doesn't say that the new iMac ISN'T user upgradable, just that the 27" has a easy user access hatch at the back for ram.

On my old iMac I could upgrade the ram but I just had to take off the whole back end and I've seen nothing that says this isn't possible on the new models.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:05:51 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Read this line : with a $200 charge to upgrade RAM from 8 GB to 16 GB. "The RAM is not officially user-upgradable", so those interested in 16 GB of RAM may be interested in considering this option.

They are allowing it in the 27in Imacs to be done at a later time by the user if they want the extra RAM

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:25:20 AM PST
link?

This is what I'm looking at.
http://www.cultofmac.com/197623/new-21-inch-imac-wont-let-users-upgrade-ram-themselves-but-27-inch-imac-will/

It shows how that the 27" will be easily user upgradable but it doesn't say that the 21" wont be, just that it wont have this nice little access patch.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:48:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 10:49:05 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/21-5-imac-has-no-user-upgradable-ram-27-has-four-accessible-ram-slots/

the new 21.5" iMac contains no user-accessible RAM slots

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 10:56:28 AM PST
Ah, I just interpret that as macrumors conjecture. I don't see anything that says it's not possible to just take the back off like the older models. Sure it's a pain in the butt but it could still be possible.

Again, not saying it will or wont be the case once it's out there but that what they are basing this on is that the 27" has a butt flap and the 21" doesn't.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:05:46 AM PST
I thought a big selling point of Apple products is that you just throw them away as soon as they're outdated and pay through the nose for the slightly-upgraded version?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:17:02 AM PST
Iso says:
They are likely soldered in. But 8gb is more than enough for most applications...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:20:46 AM PST
Unlikely as even if it isn't "user upgradeable" it would still be able to be brough into an apple store and after paying too much you could upgrade. I would think the more likely answer is that the 21" iMac is by design not made to be opened up at all by the user and might require specialized tools as opposed to standard screws, etc. to actually get to the mother board and RAM.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:24:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 11:25:11 AM PST
DVvM says:
I would wait to see iFixit's teardown before I bought one. Anything *can* be taken apart, it's just that Apple sometimes doesn't want you to.

Apple's had a bad habit of late in gluing and soldering things down when they don't need to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:28:52 AM PST
Iso says:
Soldering saves space, on the smaller version it makes sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:31:25 AM PST
DVvM says:
But if it's something that's supposed to sit on your desk and not move much, you can give up 5mm of thickness in order to make it easier for the user to service.

Plus, there was no reason to glue the battery down and the display on for the Retina MBPs, other than "it makes them nigh-impossible to service."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:35:34 AM PST
Iso says:
Not Apple, they go completely for the form factor. And they care nothing about the user fixing it themselves.

Sucks, but it is true. Resale value is rediculously high for Apple stuff though, so I guess it is a trade-off.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:38:32 AM PST
DVvM says:
I know, but Apple hasn't always been this evil. I mean, it's oftentimes significantly more expensive to have them fix it for you than for you to fix it. I had a fan crap out on this MacBook and it would have been about $200 to replace it, but it was a $35 part and anybody with a Philips #00 screwdriver and a guide could do it themselves.

The fact that they seem to be actively standing in the way of people who buy their products saving some money by fixing their own stuff is just unseemly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:38:48 AM PST
A lot of people treat their macs like phones, they trade them in for new ones every two years. Because the resale is high it isn't an arm and a leg to trade up despite the high initial buy in.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:40:02 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
It's like a onesie. It's a lot easier and more comfortable to poop if you've got a butt flap in the back, but wearing one that doesn't have that doesn't mean you'll never be able to shit or buttsecks again.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:40:33 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
I just wanted to see the difference between an IMAC and PC I have had my PC now for about 7 Years still running XP on that one. But its getting time to upgrade so I am not likely to trade anything in after a couple years ago.

I am also curious how this new IMAC will work now they they have completely removed CD/DVD Drives

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:40:50 AM PST
I have noticed that more and more with their products. For some reason it doesn't bother me. However what has annoyed me is that their software seems like when it initially comes out it is more and more of a beta test with its users. Their motto use to be "it just works" but I really wouldn't say that anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:41:40 AM PST
Exactly!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:43:54 AM PST
Iso says:
To be honest, the iMac is not worth it unless you need the screen they are using. It makes sense for graphical work, photography, and editing.

You are way better off building a PC if you are looking to game on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:45:35 AM PST
WeScYdE says:
Nah wont be gaming on PC I have kind of been interested but i am not PC Savy enough to build one and go through all that

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:48:34 AM PST
Iso says:
If you can turn a couple screws, and plug things into sockets, you can do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 11:59:45 AM PST
Hey, let's keep it PG rated in here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:04:44 PM PST
Iso says:
You better shut it before I plug it into your socket.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 12:56:13 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Yes. Shit and butt secks are fine, but sockets is just too far.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions