Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I beat NSMBU last night.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 6:30:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 6:34:21 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I was pretty disappointed with the last level as they were the easiest levels by far, and I was able to get most or all of the coins at the same time.

I'm debating whether or not to even bother getting all the Star Coins. I did for Super Mario 3D Land and it wasn't really worth it. I've seen IGN have a story that shows a different ending or something if you get all the coins. Maybe I'll just watch the video and not spend the time getting the coins.

I also put more time into Nintendo Land last night: playing Pikmin for the first time, the Zelda, archery game and a couple others.

Oh, and there isn't any bots for Luigi's Mansion. The game won't even let 1 player play... Unless I have to use 2 screens to play, in which case the game could have stopped me from playing by myself since I was just using the Game Pad.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:33:14 AM PST
I wanted to like Mario games, but having missed that bus in my childhood, I have no inclination towards Mario. I even bought Super Mario Land 3D for my 3DS and tried to like it. After about an hour, I was bored with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:36:08 AM PST
I'd say if there is a good starting point to get into Mario games I'd go with Super Mario World for the SNES. That's just good game design right there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:36:58 AM PST
FOGE says:
Well its definitely easy. I beat 3 worlds and I have about 40 lives. Still, its an incredibly fun title. I see myself playing hundreds of hours of this game over the next few years.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:37:07 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
I like Mario games, Super Mario World is prolly one of my all time favorite games ever. And I liked NSMB for the DS, but for some reason I can't get into NSMB Wii - I've crashed out on World 2 twice now.

I did enjoy 3D Land though. I think it's just a difficulty thing and don't enjoy the challenge that yuo guys do with platformers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:37:55 AM PST
FOGE says:
Or Super Mario Bros on NES or the All Stars version on SNES which is my preference.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:39:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 6:44:21 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I really didn't have all that much fun with SM3DL myself either. I thought it was very easy, the Star Coins were not hidden all that well at all, and I beat the entire game in 4 days. I started on a Sunday, and got 100% on the following Thursday (every star coin, topping every flag with Mario and Luigi, beating the final area with Mario and Luigi, etc.).

NSMBU is much better, although it still has some of the same pitfalls. The game is more challenging, and I died a LOT in that game like a ton, but I still managed to finish the game with 80 lives, so I was in no real danger. Still not on par with SMB3, but a solid Mario game nonetheless. Also, it's super easy to get P Wings (nuts?) in this game since all you have to do is catch Nabbit, which couldn't be easier if you use a Star before the level starts. You'll catch him in seconds, then you get a really powerful item. I had my inventory full of P Nuts by time I beat the game. Also, they just leave items lying on the ground, which is nice, but at least SM3DL had forced me to replay level 1 to get the stone leaf suit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:41:46 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
IMO, the crown jewel of the Mario franchise is Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:45:04 AM PST
I agree with this statement 100% but I feel that NSMBU has brought back that feel that I enjoyed in SMB3. It's like they blended Super Mario World and SMB3 for a hybrid game and I am loving it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:46:29 AM PST
Gameresq says:
Did you play the Crown stages after finishing everything else? The Crown stages were quite difficult, at least for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:47:36 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Not yet. I guess that is where that star thing is going to take me? If I do continue to play, I'll be getting all the star coins for worlds 1-8, then I'll take on the bonus levels.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:49:45 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I'm the same way. I didn't own a Nintendo system after the NES until the Wii, and I think it's made me immune to the Nintendo witchcraft. Mario, Zelda, and the like are decent games, but I'd much rather play something like Darksiders or Rayman. And on NES, I was always preferred to play Punch Out or Contra than any of the Mario games. Hell, my favorite Zelda game was Zelda 2, and it's the least "Zelda" of all of them.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:50:01 AM PST
Gameresq says:
I think you have to finish every stage with both Mario and Luigi, get every star coin and get every golden flagpole. The Crown stages should certainly satisfy your lust for a challenge.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:55:02 AM PST
FOGE says:
IMO, thats the crown jewel of gaming. My favorite game of all time. Perhaps, the game with most hours clocked for me.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:23:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 7:24:10 AM PST
Keller says:
I got to the final set of levels and purposely went back to get all the star coins, so I haven't finished the game yet. I currently have all the star coins for the first 4 levels. Hopefully I can 100% the story portion of NSMB-U within the next week. I have put over 10 hours into the game and have enjoyed every minute. The game, IMHO, is excellent. I will have to admit I don't portable game, so I am probably less burned out on Mario than a lot of those who do. I can't imagine playing all Mario and Zelda titles Nintendo releases, so I still with consoles. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:44:01 AM PST
Try gold medaling all the challenges. You will explode in rage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:45:33 AM PST
FOGE says:
I hear Challenge Mode is for the hardcore fans. Im looking forward to that once I beat the game.

BTW: Whenever you hear applause for no good reason, is that when you complete a challenge? I havent looked up any challenges but have had this happen inexplicably a few times.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:47:45 AM PST
It's because you did something that requires a bit of skill.

Such as collecting allt he coins in a long line involving jumping sliding, ducking etc... or collected all 8 red coins, 5 spinny green coins or something along that line.

I question it sometimes though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:51:36 AM PST
FOGE says:
Yeah, that sounds right. Those arent challenges?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 7:53:39 AM PST
No, those are just... umm... moments of skill?

Challenges are a different section of the game and are accessed from the main menu. They ask you to do some ridiculous things like get to the end of a level in a certain time, without getting hit or without touching the ground.

Some are easy, most are REALLY freaking hard to get gold on.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:00:09 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:33:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:01:49 AM PST
Anyone else miss the "Super Skills" videos. Those were fun to watch for me.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 8:02:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 8:05:17 AM PST
Benpachi says:
We'll see how challenging challenge mode is. After the hyped up challenge of many recent Mario games, I'm not buying it. They talked up how hard getting 5 stars would be in NSMB Wii, and it was painfully simple. Same thing with Super Mario 3D Land, and the green star challenges of SMG2. Again, not hard, though the perfect run was legit. If there is one thing I don't expect from a Mario platformer, it is to be challenged. Not that it matters much, fun is fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:04:29 AM PST
FOGE says:
Well thats cool. Should give me something to do for a long time. Doubt I get em all but itll be fun to try.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 8:05:57 AM PST
oooh I can tell you it's challenging to get gold medals in challenge mode

You have to do everything flawlessly, one tiny little screw up and it's over. you either die instantly or lose .5 of a second which will be the diffrence between gold and silver.

I was running one of them yesterday and I needed to beat it in under 15 seconds to get gold, I though I ran it flawlessly but I must have messed up cause my time was 15.04 (After many MANY fails)

I cried.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions