Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Friendliest Router for wireless and wired gaming

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 8, 2013 5:01:31 AM PST
jtshiel says:
I'm in a bit of a quandary fellow chaps and I need your expertise on the intricacies of routing. I currently have a linksys e1200 that I bought last December. It allows me to have an open NAT on the Xbox 360, but the PS3 and Vita have NAT 3 which of course won't let you get your online jollies off to the fullest of potential. I have both of these systems connected wireleslly. I researched and tried every which way and I still could not get the NAT to change to 1 or 2. I'm wanting to know if there is a router that will automatically have open NATs. Isn't it weird that it is open on the 360 but type 3 on the PS3 and Vita?

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 5:08:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 5:17:42 AM PST
NAT 1 is a direct connection to your modem from your PS3. If you're correctly configured to run through a router, you should see NAT 2.

You might want to check which ports are open if you're seeing NAT 3 on PS3 and Vita.

Open up these ports:

TCP 80, 443, 5223
UDP 3478, 3479, 3658

Enable UPnP if possible.

Consider putting your PS3 in the DMZ.

Edit - If you're wanting new router suggestions, I can personally recommend ASUS Black Diamond Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router (RT-N56U). Still rocking the old school DOCSIS 1.0/2.0 Motorola Surfboard modem, I'm getting more than my paid for upload and download speed. I pay for 15 Mbps download with 3.5 Mbps upload and consistently achieve 16-17 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload.

There are custom firmwares for this router, but I can't suggest a specific one considering I'm still trying out different firmwares in the 3 months I've owned it. It's dual band and has no problem at all handling two Kindle Fires, a Samsung Galaxy S3, two, sometimes three laptops, a wireless printer, a Wii, and a Roku. My PS3, however, is a wired connection.

If you desire, also check out the N66U, it's about $50 more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:15:11 AM PST
jtshiel says:
Okay I've got a question. Forgive me if it sounds dum. How do I assign the same IP to my Vita?
I've tried opening up all the ports you listed, adding to the DMZ, etc and it still doesn't work. I don't really care about the PS3 as much as I want an open port on the Vita.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:19:45 AM PST
I've never touched a Vita, but if I recall correctly it has a similar, or identical, XMB setup as the PS3. When configuring your connection, you should be able to assign a static IP under one of the manual network configuration menus.

I'm at work right now, so I can't navigate on my PS3 to give you more specific instructions.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 5:34:34 AM PST
J. says:
Before my linksys crapped out, I was able to get NAT2 by putting my PS3 in the DMZ. Now I'm hardwired (NAT 1) to a modem/router combo my ISP gave me.

Don't really have a choice, my wireless adapter died in my PS3.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 5:36:41 AM PST
jtshiel says:
So basically there is not just a plug in play router that will have open wireless Nats huh?
I guess I have a lot more to learn...I will try changing my IP setting from dynamic to static.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Jan 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions