Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Journalism in this Country, WTF?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2012 10:42:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 10:43:44 AM PST
Lucanus says:
http://news.yahoo.com/sonys-playstation3-beats-nintendos-wii-u-over-black-204520727--finance.html

"Sales of consoles and portable handheld game devices like the Nintendo 3DS are crumbling as gamers migrate to offerings on smartphones and tablets."

Crumbling sales of the 3DS..... funny, last I checked it is on pace to sell more hardware than any other dedicated gaming device in history. I am so thankful we have 'reporters' clearing all this up for us. Anybody else read tech/electronic reports and just laugh at how misinformed the author is? Black Friday sold over 2 million units of dedicated gaming hardware, so much for crumbling sales. :)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:44:32 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
gaming is doomed.

Angry Birds will rule the world.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:46:29 AM PST
I think the deplorable state of journalism affects more important things than some handheld gaming sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:47:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 10:48:22 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I love reading reports about how a $0.99 cent game sold 60,000,000 which is more than a full fledged $50 3DS game. Who would thought prices influence sales? :)

Edit:
Panther, I agree completely. The real question is, how did this happen? Why is the media so clueless? I constantly hear/read things in the news that I know from first hand experience is a flat out lie. Good point, thanks for sharing.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:48:20 AM PST
I don't know what you're talking about, I was watching FoxNews and then it started raining, so the sky was literally falling! That's some accurate journalism there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:50:01 AM PST
I'm not sure. They're not really held accountable for irresponsible reporting a lot of the time. Then we have "talking head" shows that masquerade as news but are actually a mouthpiece for people who have interest in telling the public what to think.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:50:35 AM PST
Ice King says:
I agree. But it's video games that helped me realize how clueless the media is about most issues. Knowing as much as I do about video games, every mistake they make is obvious to me. This makes me wonder just how wrong they are about other issues and after a little research I usually find they don't anything about anything.
All they're interested in is getting out a quick blurb to attract viewers. Accuracy is one of the last things they care about.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:51:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 10:52:34 AM PST
Once I get into the business I'm going to change all that. Gaming news and info...by someone who actually games...crazy concept, but I think it may just work.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:55:50 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
I have a Kindle Fire and my daughter was playing Angry Birds, my father in law who abhors gaming saw it and then played for the next five hours straight. Only stopping when the battery started to die as well as being past his bedtime.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:57:53 AM PST
K Archer says:
I hate the media. Its rarely about actually getting anything right; mostly about ratings and getting people watching. No matter how important an issue may be, if its not going to get watched its not going to get much attention from them. Which means people won't know about it (because most of the people that watch this lack initiative and the ability to think for themselves), meaning that the media can essentially control the people. If they don't want something to be known (whether they just disagree with it or they're paid to ignore it or something), no matter how important it really is or how much it will affect people, it won't be well-known. And then the people wonder why they're getting screwed all the time.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 11:01:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 11:01:47 AM PST
Lucanus says:
The number of articles I have seen that point out "47% of the population doesn't pay tax" annoys me so frickin much, I can't even put into words. Why reporters constantly forget to say the truth which is 47% of Americans don't pay FEDERAL INCOME tax is beyond me. Sorry for the rant, but there is a major difference between the two. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:01:44 AM PST
One of the jokes in America (the satirical book by the Daily Show) is how the Media declared the rest of the century off after Woodward and Bernstein exposed Watergate.....

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 11:09:43 AM PST
John McClane says:
Anyone can claim to be a journalist, example: MJM.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:12:54 AM PST
Not to defend that article, but I doubt the 3DS is going to top out anywhere near the DS. I remember Black Fridays when the GBA sold over 600,000 systems and the DS could sell almost a million. This year we see the 3DS sell 250,000 and the Vita sell 160,000. That's weak. Now we can debate what is causing that dip in sales but something is wrong with handheld sales in America right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:14:32 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Correct me if I am wrong, but the DS didn't sell 1 million on Black Friday in it's second year did it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:19:49 AM PST
I think having a smart phone makes it a lot easier to not consider a Vita or 3ds.

I have an iphone and a 3ds, but I could honestly do without the 3ds. It's a great little system, and I really enjoyed Mario Kart and 3d land, but the 3d tends to give me headaches after awhile, and it cramps the isht out of my hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:24:38 AM PST
I don't have the numbers for 2005 but here are the handheld sales from BF 2006 to 2008.

November 2006; the DS sold 918.000 and the GBA sold 641,000. The PSP sold 412,000.

November 2007: The DS sold over 1.5 million. The PSP sold 567,000.

November 2008: The DS sold over 1.5 million again. The PSP sold 421,000.

Fast forward to 2012 and the 3DS & Vita sell a little over 400,000 together? Yeah, handhelds have declined this year. I love the 3DS but its success is because it is a beast in Japan. It won't reach DS sales unless it starts selling 100,000 a month in the US.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:26:34 AM PST
Biohazard says:
There will be no new games in the future, just Angry Birds clones that you can only play on your phone or pad-like device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:28:25 AM PST
YIGT says:
Yeah I have problem with the ds and 3ds controls because of my hands. I dont have huge hands but their rather large and its a bit difficult to control some games. My mom has the 3ds and the mario game that came out and she wanted me to get past a part for her and it took me 10 minutes to get the hand working in the right way im so use to consol that my hands to fit the smaller handheld things.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:29:01 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Except it is outpacing the DS worldwide. Even if it doesn't break the DS sales, which is fine, it still is doing very well. I just don't think the end is nigh like reporters like to claim. Thanks for the numbers. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:30:38 AM PST
Outpacing the DS worldwide....because of the sales in Japan. It still needs to boost sales in the US to keep that momentum going.

I am perfectly fine with the 3DS not selling 160 million or more. The GBA had a fantastic run and it "only" sold 85 million units.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:32:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 11:32:35 AM PST
John flattery will get you everywhere...shhh it's ok...I love you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 11:56:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2012 11:56:54 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Total sales are total sales. It is outpacing regardless of where the sales are coming from. I also agree about it being fine selling half of what the DS did. I think my issue is with the wording, calling video game sales "crumbling" seems to me a horrible choice of word. Journalist, IMHO, constantly over exaggerate and do so intentially. Video game sales have declined, but are hardly crumbling. Not too mention we are comparing sales from a good economy to a very bad one. Of course sales are down, consumer spending is down overall. :)

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 12:04:41 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
Long download times count as a technical glitch? Geez, where do they find these people?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:59:38 AM PST
Nicos says:
If you want a picture of the future of gaming, imagine a bird hitting a pig hidden behind wooden planks - forever.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Nov 30, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions