Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Super Slim PS3 hardware issues?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 32 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 15, 2012 6:33:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 6:33:50 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
So, I've had three separate games freeze on me:

Dishonored-Froze after 5gb install, then froze again upon reload at the "this is what a save icon looks like" screen.

Max Payne 3-Froze on Chapter 4

Skyrim-Froze on me as well, but it's Skyrim, so it's to be expected.

I had 30gb worth of content downloading while playing these games, not sure if that matters or not.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 6:36:13 AM PDT
It senses you're a scalper.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 6:38:37 AM PDT
Soulshine says:
Oh geez. This is exactly the kind of thing I was waiting to hear on the VGF to turn me off of getting the AC3 bundle.

Fox - I thought that downloads would pause when you start playing a game most of the time (or start netflix or something like that). So I don't think ongoing downloads would affect in-game performance.

So all of these freezes have occured while you were signed in/online?

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 6:41:47 AM PDT
John McClane says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 6:42:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 6:42:15 AM PDT
I think some games can be played while background downloads continue. Pretty sure it depends on the game.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 6:42:29 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, they occurred while signed into my PSN account. I'm not sure about the downloads pausing or what not. I thought I've been in games before and I get the banner that pops up and says "Install Complete, etc."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 6:43:24 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, like Dark Souls it seems it would stop, but games like Skyrim it keeps downloading, so I guess if you're playing online it pauses the downloads.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 6:47:30 AM PDT
Soulshine says:
Oh yeah, I've seen that sometimes. I know watching Netflix will pause some downloads.

Anyway, thanks for the info about the superslim - I'm not sure anyone else on the VGF has one yet. Keep us posted if this becomes an ongoing problem or if you find out it is a common complaint. Right now I'm leaning toward not getting one and just upgrading my hard drive next year instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 6:52:16 AM PDT
Cinema Fan is

S U B M I S S I V E

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 6:56:47 AM PDT
D_Strasse says:
Downloads only pause when you're playing a disc based movie, not when gaming. (Not sure about streaming a movie as that's an app.)

Games freeze for me, not sure how this is a hardware problem.

Did you try googling the games for freezing issue, but honestly sometimes stuff just freezes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 6:57:40 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
I'm not sure if it's the actual hardware. I haven't heard of freezing issues with Dishonored though, and I was surprised when Max Payne 3 froze as Rockstar games, in my experience, are usually rock solid.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 7:01:54 AM PDT
prsmooth says:
Try gaming without downloading anything in the background and see if you run into the same problem.

Have you done a search online if others folks have had freezes on the PS3 super slim?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 8:57:07 AM PDT
WeScYdE says:
from what i have noticed If you are playing a game that in anyway requires the use of online such as MP or updates while playing it will pause any downloads you may have going on, if its a SP game that has no requirement for the PSN while playing then it will still continue to download.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 10:36:23 AM PDT
N. Gay says:
Strange since Tech Republic did a breakdown of the super slim and it said that it had 2 1 GB dram chips instead of 2 256 that the original had

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/cracking-open/ps3-super-slim-teardown-reveals-hardware-changes-but-no-real-upgrades/871?tag=content;siu-container

specifically

More compact motherboard, new components, same overall specs: Compared to the PS3 Slim's board, the Super Slim's board is smaller and the chips are placed closer to each other. Sony also removed the heat spreader from the Reality Synthesizer package, swapped Marvell's discreet wireless board for a newer Marvell WLAN/Bluetooth SoC, and went with two 1Gb XDR DRAM chips for the machine's main memory instead of older machine's four 512Mb chips.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 11:07:53 AM PDT
WeScYdE says:
??? Is that upgrade suppose to make it so you can play any game that requires online support and download games from the PSN possible without a problem? If not just lost on what that means to me for that specific concern.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 11:10:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 11:11:18 AM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
Reading is fundamental.

"Strange since Tech Republic did a breakdown of the super slim and it said that it had 2 1 GB dram chips instead of 2 256 that the original had"

" went with two 1Gb XDR DRAM chips for the machine's main memory instead of older machine's 'FOUR' 512Mb chips.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 12:32:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 12:33:45 PM PDT
Yung says:
You never had a game freeze on your prior ps3, if you had one?
I remember Heavy Rain & Battlefield 3 (out of the top of my head) would freeze on my FAT 80gb ps3 every now & then.

Battlefield 3 has frozen on my Ultra Slim but I wouldn't call that hardware issues. I've also tried Resident Evil 6 on my Ultra Slim, my only problem there was that the game data being corrupted while I invited someone to play online. I simply deleted & reinstalled the game data

I love my Ultra Slim, only thing that kind of bugs me is hearing the noise from the disc spinning sometimes

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 12:52:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 1:09:53 PM PDT
N. Gay says:
The original had 512MB of memory and I believe it was split from 2 256 MB ram chips. I was curious about that since it has more memory if skyrim or something else may run on the superslim or have they blocked of that extra memory?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2012 1:00:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 15, 2012 1:01:13 PM PDT
got mayo?™ says:
(1)256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz

(1)256Gb Vram clocked @700MHz

It doesn't matter if they put 2 4Gb sticks in there, it'll still only use what the base spec Sony wants. There is only one reason to do this : Cost. Older, weaker chips are long out of production and cost an arm and a leg to source . Have you tried shopping for RAM for an early to mid 2000's desktop or laptop? Its outrageous. Yet you can buy 8GB of high speed RAM for $30 these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 5:58:36 AM PDT
D_Strasse says:
Is it that bad?

Disc spinning noise on the slim is worse than my phat was but still overall it's much quieter.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 4:20:22 AM PST
iI purchased the 500gb ac3 bundle yesterday system locked up twice then disc kept spinning 3 x speed had to hard shut down turned back on system kept loop rebooting returning for another today at *** mart wish me luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 4:37:11 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
good luck

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 5:21:39 AM PST
Shouldn't be hard to get another one.

I am glad Sony pushed out this extremely cheap system so everyone can get screwed. I am happy I bought the 320GB slim Uncharted 3 bundle last November.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:48:58 AM PST
Ed Jones says:
My InFamous slim was making a high pitch ringing/whistle type noise. I took it back and got a refund. Went back to my original fat 60GB. Think I'll ride it out until it breaks.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:27:19 AM PST
I should have kept my 160gb fat the slims I've had were nothing but trouble so i got the super slim hoping it'd be better... 0/1 thus far hoping for better this afternoon when I grab the exchange.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  32
Initial post:  Oct 15, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions