Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Don't Starve (Steam)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 1:47:43 PM PST
Anyone pick up this title yet? It suprised me to find out they are in alpha and by 'preordering' the game you get to play now. Also you get a friend copy with the order.

Interesting game, liked it quite a bit. Played only about an hour or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 1:50:53 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
What kind of game is this? I saw the promo for this on Steam yesterday, but know very little about it.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:25:43 PM PST
Ham Salad says:
I've heard it compared to Minecraft, but I really don't know how reliable that is. I'd be interested to know more also.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:34:23 PM PST
I've been playing it a bit and it's not like Minecraft. It's very...browsery? Ok that's not a word. It plays like a browser game. The art style is interesting and the threat of death is constant and makes the nights feel awesome and tense. There are some flaws though:

1. The research system (science points) is stupid. You just feed crap into a machine for points. I thought you'd have to research certain combinations to make new inventions...nope!
2. THE GRIND! Everything costs like a million wood and by the time you get a chest and some simple structures up you will be incredibly bored of making boards.

Otherwise it's a lot of fun and I can practically guarantee it will get updates that improve it. Survival games tend to get lots and lots of tweaks (look at Minecraft and Infiniminer)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:50:30 PM PST
Roguelike type survival game, kind of similar to Minecraft. Great artstyle though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:54:08 PM PST
KrisCo says:
"you will be bored of making boards"

Hah!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 4:56:21 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Ah, gotcha. Thanks. Probably not my game, then.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 6:20:56 AM PST
Played it a bit more and I can agree with you on a few things. For one, I cannot get fullscreen mode to work and that would remove that browsery feel for me.

The research system is iffy for me, it does make you have to decide how to allocate your resources though. The nice thing is it save from one death to another, so you do not need to research again. It makes me wish it was more like Terraria in that you build certain things to unlock the ability to unlock more.

The grind is a bit much, but once again I think it is more of constraint on resources to make it much harder. Can you actually build proper buildings in this game?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 9:01:56 AM PST
Just a heads up, I have found numerous away around the grind.

1. Use graveyards to boost the research. You dig up plots for stuff only intended for research.
2. Use an army of pigs to deforest. You can get insane stacks of boards. Stone is my real issue.
3. Digging up bushes, twigs, and grass is a great way to start a base.
4. Having a base near a pig village is great way to get food, they respawn every day or so and drop good meat.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Nicki Minaj's 'Anaconda 20 1 minute ago
Playstation ruining gamers bank holiday 2 1 minute ago
Id like a new ww2 shooter 12 3 minutes ago
All Muslims in the world need to be exterminated like the rodents they are!!! They are enemies to all whiteys!!! 6 3 minutes ago
Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition thread 252 6 minutes ago
Dragon Age 2, or the adventures of Hockey. 9 19 minutes ago
Telltale's The Walking Dead did storytelling better than The Last of Us 211 20 minutes ago
Polytron and Phil Fish Hacked, tons of Personal Info Leaked 57 20 minutes ago
The only good Muslim is a dead Muslim!!! 3 22 minutes ago
The only good Arab is a dead Arab!! 1 48 minutes ago
America favorite new past time: watching Muslims beheaded on live TV!!! 0 48 minutes ago
It's time for the US to turn all of Islam into glass!!! 0 51 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions