Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Borderlands 2: Torgue's Carnage Of Chaos drops November 20th

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 7:01:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 7:18:13 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
http://kotaku.com/5961091/Patricia%20Hernandez

I survived Mr. Torgue's Arena In The New Borderlands 2 DLC That Drops November 20th

What do you do when you visit the Badass Crater of Badassitude? You try to become the number one badass. Duh. The Badass Crater and your number one title await you in a new DLC campaign for Borderlands 2.

The world of Pandora is no stranger to zany characters, so it shouldn't be surprising that Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage, the second DLC add-on for Borderlands 2, delivers on that front. The DLC sheds some light on weapons manufacturer figurehead Mr. Torgue. Torgue is, as you might expect, batshit insane. But it's a certain type of unhinged-think Randy Sav‐age, who Mr. Torgue kind of looks and sounds like.

That's appropriate, because the DLC reminds me a ton of wrestling theatrics. You know how wrestlers are always trying to win the belt, or become number one? That's the deal here. There are a handful of bosses you have to defeat to become the number one badass. But it's not as simple as killing them, because Mr. Torgue meddles too much-he wants to make sure everything that happens makes for "good TV," so to speak. The (figurative) audi‐ence watching you has to feel titillated! Your ascent to badassitude has to be exciting! So don't be surprised if Mr. Torgue pulls antics like suddenly informing you you're about to get betrayed. Gotta put on a show.

I played through one of the main stages, which puts you in an arena where you fight against waves of baddies. Unlike the Mad Moxxi DLC arena, this new area will have ene‐mies fighting each other too. It's every man, freak and midget for himself. That's a good thing, because Torgue's Campaign of Carnage is difficult. So when you're hiding somewhere, hoping to regen your health, you're praying that your enemies become too preoccupied with each other to bother hunting you down.

That is but one of the locations you'll be visit‐ing. I also fought through the densely-packed Beatdown city, and I made a commotion at a bar. The latter, I was a huge fan of-you have to start a bar brawl, targeting only the badass‐es. I felt like a dick for interrupting one of the few instances where a ton of enemies just wanted to chill. These guys won't attack you on sight, they're just having a drink, hangin' out. But it had to be done: messing the serene scene was how I'd regain the respect that I lost from Torgue after one of the five badasses set me up. (Of COURSE I was set up.)

I was surprised to see a number of familiar faces as I played as well. There's Patricia Tan‐nis right at the start, in a brief appearance. One of your sponsors turns out to be Mad Moxxi. There's also the return of fan-favorite Tiny Tina (who is also a possible sponsor.) You'll have to choose between Tina and Moxxi -a tough choice. Worry not though; there'll be a number of new characters to meet too.

Fascinating to me, though, is just how much of Borderlands revolves around the guns. Fascinating to me, though, is just how much of Borderlands revolves around the guns. You're always obsessing over them, always sifting through loot, hoping to find something better than what's currently in your hands. Gearbox has gone on record saying that they've designed the manufacturers with the inten‐tion of creating brand loyalty to your guns. Some would argue that you basically ARE your gun. Many of the characters you've met in the past-in the first game, in the DLC, or in Borderlands 2-are involved with weapons distribution or manufacturing.

This DLC follows suit: you're entering the world of Torgue, a weapons manufacturer, after all. You'll also collect special loot drops specific to the DLC, which you buy with spe‐cial Torgue currency. You use that currency in Torgue-only vending machines. Aside from guns, you'll also be able to collect new heads and skins for your vault hunter.

The awesome thing about the DLCs in Border‐lands is that they affect the larger story. You defeat general Knoxx in the original Border‐lands DLC, so in Borderlands 2, Atlas is out of business, for instance. But outside the lore, the DLC can be thought of as experiments for Gearbox-testing the waters to see what works and what doesn't. In Knoxx they dab‐bled with raid bosses and 4 player cars, in Moxxi they played with a bank system-amongst other things. One can't help but won‐der what Gearbox is testing with the Torgue DLC, or how this DLC will affect the lore, but it's good to know they're looking to improve and evolve the experience.

Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage drops on November 20th, and you can expect it to last from six to eight hours. Those with the season pass will get the DLC for free. The rest of us can expect to drop less than a tenner.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:04:58 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
How many DLC packs have come out for BL2 already? 3?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:05:51 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Lame, I thought it was going to be good DLC, not another stupid horde mode.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:06:41 AM PST
Ice King says:
What's with the weird hyphen-ation?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:07:17 AM PST
Ice King says:
This will be the second mission DLC. There was another character added in October as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:08:55 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
This will be the second DLC pack. The Mechromancer isn't included in that since it wasn't actually a full DLC and just a character class.

I'm not that happy that it's another arena but at least it sounds like this one will have more to it than the Underdome had.

Ice King, I have no idea. I posted it from my phone. The article was originally from Kotaku but I pulled it off a link from Twitter.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:10:45 AM PST
Wait... it's coming the 20th? Where was that posted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:14:07 AM PST
OP says:
I think brand loyalty in Borderlands only extends on a weapon-to-weapon basis; i.e., you might like Jakobs revolvers and snipers, but not Jakobs rifles and shotguns, or you might like Dahl SMGs, but not Dahl snipers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:19:41 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I would agree with that, I love Mahliwan SMGs but I don't think I really use their other weapons that much.

I posted the original link to the article now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:20:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 7:20:49 AM PST
K Archer says:
IDK...it really depends on your playstyle.

For example, I play an elemental-focused Siren...so I love my elemental and E-Tech guns. Guess which manufacturer I love? I will use others that have elemental effects (have a Hyperion Corrosive E-Tech SMG that is absolutely insane), but I prefer my Maliwan guns...much better DoT effects.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:21:06 AM PST
I actually learned I don't like Dahl anything. but i KNOW i hate Dahl Snipers. But you are correct. Though I don't like Torgue anything either... rockets move to slowly, and oddly enough a Torgue Rocket launcher moves so slow, it's kinda sad.

Vladof Makes my Fav Snipers.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:22:37 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
The Kerblaster isn't too bad of a legendary rifle from Torgue. That's the only weapon that I can think of that I use from them. I think I have weapons of every manufacturer in my inventory though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:24:21 AM PST
Not familiar with that one. I think I have one of every maker in my INV as well, I have a Torgue shotgun that I use against enemies with big metal shields... that aren't armored.

I have a Teridore SMG I use as a grenade launcher.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:24:31 AM PST
OP says:
I will say that I miss Atlas and S&S; Bandit is kind of meh for me as a replacement.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:24:46 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Cool, should have plenty of time to play this between AC3 and Farcry 3.

The Arena part sounds a little disappointing, but the rest sounds cool and I like that your enemies will be fighting eachother and not just you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:25:31 AM PST
I don't think I have found a Bandit gun I enjoy. Low damage but high clip count... eh. I prefer to not waste ammo.

though bandit Rocket Launchers aren't terrible, I still prefer Vladof Rockets. a 6 rocket clip actually being 9, but only using 6 is fantastic to me.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:29:23 AM PST
Ice King says:
I found a Hellfire SMG back when I was level 30 or so that I've been using ever since and it still tears through enemies. I'm at level 47 now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:31:32 AM PST
K Archer says:
Too bad Vladof rockets don't have the damage...yeah, saving ammo sounds nice, but when you're doing half (or less) damage compared to other launchers at level...yeah...I mean, if you're farming rocket kills for challenges they're great. But against bosses...not so much IMO.

I do have to say, though, Bandit SMGs can be awesome. Got their Seraph one, and its an amazing boss-killer (2x5500 damage with a really good RoF + skills (not sure exact percent damage added) + Cat mod (+96% SMG damage) + SMG damage relic (+22%) + Bee (+50K) = a lot of damage) Its not elemental, though :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:31:33 AM PST
OP says:
Overall, I do like Maliwan a lot, but I've never really seen much need for a Maliwan launcher in the second game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:34:12 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Hellfire SMGs are always nice! I have a level 50 Acuminous Hellfire that is fantastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:38:00 AM PST
K Archer says:
Tell me about it...amazing gun for a Siren

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:38:14 AM PST
My Vladof Rockets do enough Damage to one shot my current enemies :3 So i don't need a better one... yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:41:03 AM PST
K Archer says:
I guess I have bad luck then...Vladof never have good damage when I find them

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:20:25 AM PST
Is this DLC another Arena based one... why... everyone i talked to HATED Moxxi's DLC in Borderlands 1...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:24:43 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Yes, this DLC will be an arena but it sounds like it will have a lot more features than the Underdome did.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions