Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: Snakes on a Plane Director Dies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2013 3:50:18 PM PST
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/07/snakes-on-a-plane-director-david-r-ellis-dies

---------------------------

Deadline reports that David R. Ellis, the director of Snakes on a Plane and The Final Destination, has died at age 60.

Ellis is said to have died suddenly early Monday in Johannesburg, South Africa where he was prepping to shoot Kite with his Snakes star Samuel L. Jackson. His cause of death was not yet known.

Ellis' other directing credits include Final Destination 2, Cellular and Shark Night 3D. Before becoming a features director, Ellis was a stuntman who worked on films such as Scarface, Roadhouse, Lethal Weapon, Star Trek V, and Patriot Games.

He also worked on the original V television series, and directed second unit on The Matrix Reloaded, Waterworld, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and the forthcoming films R.I.P.D. and 47 Ronin

---------------------------

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 3:55:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 3:56:11 PM PST
McAwesomeo says:
This is a tragedy. Let us all have a moment of silence before we grow weary of these motherfornicating snakes on this motherfornicating aeroplane. Nothing else Ellis has done is as entertaining as Snakes on a Plane.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 3:59:00 PM PST
JWK says:
Another fallen hero. Many snakes on many planes are crying tonight.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 6:41:23 PM PST
AJF says:
Final Destination is horrible it is so bad that even the trailer of it made me cringe.

Still it is sad when people die.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 2:49:37 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
Monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 3:43:29 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I think he died from making too many bad movies.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 4:40:34 AM PST
Peter Faden says:
I thought it was the mother f in snakes on the mother f in plane that killed him. Or at least guilt over that epic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 5:04:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 5:30:44 AM PST
WOW...It sure appears that he enjoyed a glorious career and a fulfilling lifetime...

I've never seen Snakes on a Plane but i love the Final Destination Series and all the other films mentioned that he either directed or worked on...

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 5:18:24 AM PST
J. says:
Is it bad that I like most of the movies he has been a part of?

"... Roadhouse."

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:14:02 AM PST
SMH says:
I like directors like this. I don't know all of his credits, but it really seemed like he just made the movies he liked and didn't sit there worrying about whether or not he would get an oscar, or if critics would like them. He made movies for one reason, to entertain, which for whatever reason people often forget is the point of movies in the first place. Now, whether or not you found his movies entertaining is another debate.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:16:59 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
That opening highway scene in Final Destination 2 was pretty crazy. You should've seen the work that went into shooting that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 6:20:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 7:26:05 AM PST
YOU HOO....CINEMA FAN....Watchu know about ^that scene??? I'm such a sucka for "making of" minutia

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:35:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 6:35:13 AM PST
You know, he did do The Final Destination and I thought that was actually a decent horror flick.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 6:39:35 AM PST
On a similar subject...Death...anybody from CA would know the name Huell Howser (California Gold on pbs) also died...he was 67...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 7:58:11 AM PST
I love James Adomian's impression of Huell Howser. It sucks the real guy died. I also seem to be the only person in the world who truly loves Snakes on a Plane...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:04:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:08:47 AM PST
Ha FrumpleOrZo..."the only person in the world"...That my middle name you know...winks*...But srly...What did you possibly *love* about that film???

OK...I know what i'm gonna watch tonight* when i get home...and it's not gonna be the stars*!!!

Huell Howser---I couldn't stand to listen to him...Goddess rest his soul

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:14:53 AM PST
There were snakes on a plane. It told me what to expect in the title and it was just plain ludicrous throughout the whole thing. Everybody in the movie knew the premise was absurd but they went on to make a very entertaining movie. It's not like it was Kurosawa's Snakes on a Plane or something. It was a silly action film and I enjoyed every minute of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:20:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:25:41 AM PST
What??? Talk about a mixed message!!! lol

RE: it was just plain ludicrous throughout the whole thing.

but you enjoyed every minute of it??? LOL

JK......I've seen the trailer...and the "real" snakes were {{{scary}}} but it was the FAKE SNAKE that was "ludicrous"!!!...It struck me as Anaconda-ish...witch i actually did like with JLO & "The Continental"...winks*

I'll watch it tonight* on AmaZon instant vid...

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:21:52 AM PST
Soulshine says:
"...with his Snakes star Samuel L. Jackson...Before becoming a features director, Ellis was a stuntman who worked on films such as Scarface, Roadhouse, Lethal Weapon, Star Trek V, and Patriot Games...worked on the original V television series, and directed second unit on The Matrix Reloaded, Waterworld, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone."

This guy sounds like he had a fun life.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:23:41 AM PST
user22 says:
I think I'm the the only person in the world who has actually seen and enjoyed Cellular. It wasn't great, but it was entertaining. Like Dave said, this guy made films simply to entertain. All of his work was action-packed fun regardless of how cheesy the plots were.

And I agree the opening highway scene in Final Destination 2 was an incredible work.

RIP

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:34:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:34:35 AM PST
"Cellular" was a really good film...Kim Basinger was amaZing and I loved the scene when the kid tried to buy a charger in Radio Shack!!! lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:34:40 AM PST
Ludicrous isn't necessarily a bad thing. The premise is just silly, no one can deny that. The movie just ran with its idea and didn't let up. I like it when movies do that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:36:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 8:38:31 AM PST
The premise is like...The worst nightmare that you could possibly imagine in your entire life!!!...LOL...Can you imagine???

If the snakes were just ALL real snakes...Now that would have been an effective...effect!!!...You can't really get away from a snake

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:38:25 AM PST
Well, considering I have an insane fear of flying and heights, just being in a plane is the worst nightmare I can imagine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 8:39:59 AM PST
WOW...Really??? That is unimaginable!!! Why do you think that is??? I actually have a "thing" about swings myself...I don't know if it's "motion sickness" maybe...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
FACT: Xbox One has a better Fall/Holiday lineup compared to the ps4! 19 7 minutes ago
Anyone pumped for Hatsune Miku project diva f 2 4 12 minutes ago
Global Top Sellers 28th June 2014 Software 10 34 minutes ago
Who still owns their Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3 in addition to an Xbox One, Wii U, and PS4? 31 43 minutes ago
OT: Tommy Ramone Dead at 62 8 48 minutes ago
XBL sale on 360 games starting 06/08 (No Gold sub needed) 87 54 minutes ago
Destiny Beta: Go Confirm Your Platform/Region! 78 1 hour ago
OT: Vegas 23 1 hour ago
Fact: Nintendo is best this gen. 67 1 hour ago
What's so great about the Ghost Edition of Destiny? 12 1 hour ago
ot: the fifa 2014 world cup 966 1 hour ago
Project CARS on Wii U delayed to 2015...other versions launching in November as scheduled 14 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions