Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Vita is destined to sell better than 3DS

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 117 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2012 2:35:10 PM PST
http://m.ign.com/articles/2011/10/22/the-playstation-vita-is-set-to-succeed

<snip>

For better or for worse, Vita will be pitted against the Nintendo 3DS. But the comparison doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and even if you were to pit them against each other, Vita is still destined to sell better. That's because in addition to games (which Nintendo 3DS is still sorely lacking), it's also a much more powerful machine capable of doing a whole lot more than 3DS.

<snip>

Even Nintendo, with its buttons and triggers and touch pad admitted that leaving off a second analog stick from its handheld was a huge mistake. Now, you have to buy it separately. Vita comes with one right off the bat because it's probably the most glaringly obvious thing a handheld needs to compete these days.

<snip>

The Nintendo 3DS is certainly not going to take the Vita out with N64 ports and tired, worn series. The iPhone and Android phones are in everyone's pockets, but who's going to play a competent first-person shooter or action-heavy games like Arkham City on them any time soon? The Vita seems to be the best of both worlds -a technologically-advanced and connected handheld that's tailor-made for gamers.

Should Sony feel threatened by its competition? Sure. But Nintendo is the least of Sony's concerns these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:37:03 PM PST
Agree 100% with this article. I think the 3DS has sold like 100 systems if even that.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:40:03 PM PST
Aku says:
I love how all these articles just vanished, when they were in heavy rotation on multiple sites for the 3DS' slow months.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:43:00 PM PST
Paper Tiger says:
Well if Sony hadn't blown it with the proprietary memory and Nintendo hadn't made the smart price cut this could possibly be true. The 3DS had "no games" just like the Vita at one point but now that it has a user base built up the games will keep coming. Lookin forward to the RPGs we should be getting in 2013 for the 3DS.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:43:17 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
The 3DS is still available in stores? I thought it went the way of the Virtual Boy.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:51:15 PM PST
"But Nintendo is the least of Sony's concerns these days."

Hahahahaha!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:57:27 PM PST
From a purely speculative standpoint, the article is right. The problem with the 3DS at the time was that it was lacking games, which is exactly the Vita's problem right now.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:58:04 PM PST
"Should Sony feel threatened by its competition? Sure. But Nintendo is the least of Sony's concerns these days."

Hopefully the Sony CEO knows that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:00:08 PM PST
The Vita has a few other problems holding it back besides a lack of games lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:00:22 PM PST
Aku says:
What? The dude thinks the more advanced handheld is going to win.

When has that EVER happened?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:01:09 PM PST
RIght? Because the Atari Lynx and the Game Gear both DESTROYED the Game Boy, if I correctly recall history.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:01:57 PM PST
I disagree with two of his conclusions. System power doesn't really have any bearing on how well a console sells. Since the crash there has never been a generation where the market leader was the most powerful console available at the time.

I also disagree with his statement about the necessity of dual analog sticks. I think it is safe to say that most people don't really care about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:03:45 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
I just saw the guy who wrote this article down on the corner begging for nickels.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:03:46 PM PST
Was there before the Crash even? Coleco and Intellivision were more powerful than Atari, weren't they?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:06:42 PM PST
Possibly but those systems are a little before my time and I never really compared them to each other in terms of power.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:07:26 PM PST
Half the time most of these "professional" game editors seem more like idiots I really wonder if they know what's going on or they just write whatever garbage they are told to spew.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:11:44 PM PST
I.Flores says:
A 13 month old article? Really?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:12:33 PM PST
That was the point. To bring up how wrong the article was.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:14:50 PM PST
I.Flores says:
But you failed to put the article's date, misleading readers into think it's a current one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:15:44 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
The date is in the link and quite obvious. No one here has responded as if they thought it was a recent article.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:17:07 PM PST
I trust you take no offense about posting an article in support of the Vita?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:18:47 PM PST
" For better or for worse, Vita will be pitted against the Nintendo 3DS"

Does that syntax sound like a current article?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:20:13 PM PST
What's wrong Flowers? This is an uplifting article for the Vita!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:24:51 PM PST
It's a little sad, I'm trying not to give up on the Vita but just after what nine months after its release and for five of those its just been sitting on my shelf.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 3:24:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 4:08:55 PM PST
Anthony says:
I agree. it is pretty obvious the article is old. it was the first thing i noticed. i knew there was no way in hell this was a recent article.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  30
Total posts:  117
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions