Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

OT: 17,616 Men Went to the ER for Zipper-Related Penis Injuries Between 2002 and 2010

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2013 7:07:07 AM PDT
Brykume says:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/03/17-616-men-went-to-the-er-for-zipper-related-penis-injuries-between-2002-and-2010/274113/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Staring down at a zipper, it makes little sense that this object's two sets of teeth would line the primary means of egress for one's penis during everyday bathroom use.

The original American zipper brand was Talon, for crying out loud.

Are there no alternatives? Of course there are. Zippers were not even in common usage until the 1920s, we find in Robert Friedel's study, "Zipper: An Exploration in Novelty." In 1937, a zipper company memo held, "Retailers were made to worry that they could be held legally liable if a man injured himself with the newfangled machine on his trouser fly." Nowadays, button-fly pants abound, selling alongside their more dangerous brethren. Also, velcro exists. We don't need zippers.

Perhaps zippered pants remain in circulation because harm to one's genitals only exists in jokes or urban legend. As University of Utah folklorist Jan Brunvand would have it, "[F]olkloric zipper stories, especially stories involving troublesome zipper flies on men's trousers, became part of the cultural history of the product."

Brunvand continues, "The possibility of a man zipping part of himself into a pants zipper fly must occur to many men." But really, who would believe that this happens?

Not even when one is in a real hurry or the hole formed by the fly is uncomfortably narrow or in a dimly lit bathroom could such a grave mistake ever be made. No one actually gets his penis stuck in the zipper of his pants, right?

Wrong. A new paper in urology journal BJU International puts data to the folklore: "Zip-related genital injury."

Between 2002 and 2010, 17,616 people went to the emergency room with zip-related genital injuries. And as the University of California, San Francisco team put it, "The penis was almost always the only genital organ involved." (Which is good news for testicles everywhere.) Those roughly 2,000 injuries per year represent about one-fifth of annual penile injuries and "amongst adults, zips were the most frequent cause of penile injuries."

The authors conclude that the problem affects both adults and children and that "practitioners should be familiar with various zip-detachment strategies for these populations."

For our age of lowered expectations, a new benediction: May you never have to become familiar with any zip-detachment strategy."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May you practice a safe, and more conscious-minded, deliberate zipping in the future... lest you find yourself amongst these poor souls.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:07:49 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
I was 528 of them.

ouch.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:08:58 AM PDT
Franks an' Beans! Franks an' Beans..!!

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:13:19 AM PDT
You can add me to the ones who did not seek medical attention, but yes, it happens.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:14:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 19, 2013 7:43:05 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 7:15:22 AM PDT
FOGE says:
Me too. But it was very minor. It was still one of the scariest moments of my entire life.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:16:23 AM PDT
"Going commando" also increases the odds of an accident.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:17:05 AM PDT
McAwesomeo says:
Am I the only dude who has never had this happen to them? I'm very, very careful because it seems like it'd hurt a lot. I've had my boxers get caught, but never my junk.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 7:17:18 AM PDT
J. Pardee says:
That's exactly why I don't consider going commando.

I don't think I have actually ever done this before. I have been close but never fully done it.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:19:46 AM PDT
Soulshine says:
"I like the button fly! That's one place on my wardrobe where I don't need sharp, interlocking teeth."

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:21:02 AM PDT
JO MOMMA says:
i almost did it myself a few years back. maybe we can start a support group.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 7:21:03 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:36:19 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:34:44 AM PDT
I never went to the hospital, but when I was younger I hit. It wasnt a full zip. Zip fast and it wont last.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:38:16 AM PDT
SynsCei says:
I work for a major jean manufacturer... these ones aren't a joke (well yeah they are). We have to treat them all as liability issues as well. That being said, some of the calls are straight up hilarious with their description (yes that description) of how it looks/felt and their overall anger/embarassment about it all. One guy in particular called while he was still in the restroom and this happened. I didn't get the call but we were all like, "Why the **** would you call us and not 9-1-1????"

*releases call* "We got a bleeder.." *Forwards case to liability - management*

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:50:04 AM PDT
jtshiel says:
I never have this happen cause I have a tiny penis.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 7:52:00 AM PDT
Benpachi says:
This happened to me when I was a youngster. Wasn't an ER situation, but I do have a pretty rad scar from it (I tell myself it's rad).

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 8:00:42 AM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 8:03:14 AM PDT
Voice of god says:
I still don't really understand how this happens. Even if you're going commando, there should be like a 1 1/2-inches of fabric inside the jeans that also protects you from it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 8:06:55 AM PDT
My guess is that people zip to fast or tuck under while zipping.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 8:11:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 8:12:17 AM PDT
Lyrick_ says:
Button Fly's take too long, Velcro is too noisy. Once I become old and decrepit I plan on only wearing Adidas warm ups 100% of the time. Dress pants are my other alternative as they tend have less threatening zippers than jeans, with smaller elements (teeth) and sometimes they're made from a non metal material.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 8:14:07 AM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
You could join the mob if you don't want to wait that long to wear track suits all the time.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 8:19:32 AM PDT
Cats Go Nyan says:
I always try to be real careful with the zipper, so I haven't had any problems yet.

I wonder how many of those cases had alcohol involved though. Pants are usually off by then anyways, so I shouldn't have a problem there either. :)

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 8:27:28 AM PDT
Spudkitty says:
Ok, I have to chime in here and tell a little story. At a local pub frequented by us girlfriends, we notice that men tend to start unzipping BEFORE they get through the bathroom door and they tend to finish zipping AFTER they depart the bathroom. I can totally see this 'accident' happening if they realized their exit timing was off. (Also, obvious there was no hand washing taking place after the deed.)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 8:39:19 AM PDT
That Emu Kid says:
If a guy is unzipping on his way out of the bathroom, I guarantee he didn't wash his hands.

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 8:41:35 AM PDT
D_Strasse says:
Do people not wear underwear????
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions