Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Analyst Says PS4 and Next Xbox Games Will Cost $70

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 106 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 9, 2013 10:47:05 PM PST
Zen Kaizoku says:
Will he be right this time?

PS4 and next Xbox games will retail at $70, ten dollars more than current gen games, said Wedbush Securities Research Analyst Michael Pachter during a panel at SXSW.

The news was tweeted this afternoon by Spike and GamesTrailers Host Geoff Keighley.

This comes after Sony clarified the price point of PS4 games when SCEA President and CEO Jack Tretton explained that Sony, "will offer games with prices ranging from $0.99 to the more traditional $60 range with the ability for players to sample games before they buy."

It's important to note that Tretton's quote never gives a hard number, like a MSRP of $59.99, etc., which leaves plenty of room for interpretation of what Sony's view of a "traditional $60 range" might actually be.

IGN has reached out to Sony and Pachter for further comment.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/09/sxsw-analyst-says-ps4-and-next-xbox-games-will-cost-70

Why this man still has a job as an analyst, I don't know. Though you COULD say he's actually excellent at his job considering everything he "predicts" come true...

...In reverse.

So, if you were banking your next move on his analysis, you just do the opposite of whatever he says and you're in for some mad cash. Now maybe this might be the one, maybe, just maybe, he could be right this time. I and many others hope he's not but - what if he is?

So, what are your thoughts on this? NOT the Pachter thing, because everyone's gonna say the same thing. My question pertains to the *possibility* that games on the 720/PS4 will be $70. That's $10 more than you're accustomed to paying.

Are you willing to go the extra 10 yards?

Sound Off Below.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 10:54:53 PM PST
Well I almost never buy games for $60, so I certainly won't buy (normal editions) for $70.

That said, I'd love to see more realistic pricing on games.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 10:56:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 9, 2013 11:00:42 PM PST
90% of the responses in this thread will probably be attacking the messenger because people don't like the message. He might be right but if there is a price increase in games it may only be $5 so as to not scare away customers with too big of an increase. It's not written in stone that game prices have to be in $10 increments.

In any case, I always wait for prices on games to go down, even now at a $60 release price. This will be even more of an incentive to wait. In fact I don't understand why anyone bothers to preorder games or rush to the store to get them on day one when most games go on sale for $20-30 less within a month of release.

The pricing scheme on console games, and some PC games, is ridiculous and should change. Cheaper to produce games should cost less to begin with. Try releasing games at $30-40 and keep them at that price for awhile instead of doing permanent price cuts so quickly. Save the big prices for the expensive to produce AAA titles only.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 10:58:44 PM PST
EA was thinking of making their games $70 but changed back to $60. Even Sony mentioned their games will be $0.99 - $60

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 11:23:14 PM PST
quinten488 says:
No one pays $60 that is why games sales are always so low, so why would they pay $70. Just got Crysis 3 for PS3 for $39.99 here on Amazon, wasn't gonna pay $60 for it.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 1:01:48 AM PST
Didn't Sony already publicly stated PS4 games will be available on PSN for between $1 and $60?

Yes, yes they did.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-23-ps4-games-to-range-from-USD0-99-to-USD60-according-to-jack-tretton

PlayStation 4 games will range from free-to-play to $0.99 to $60, according to SCEA president and CEO Jack Tretton.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 1:03:48 AM PST
They would get no support from me due to the simple fact that that is too much for a video game. 60 is even too much, and most games get this price tag, while few are worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 1:22:40 AM PST
Voice of god says:
"90% of the responses in this thread will probably be attacking the messenger because people don't like the message."

Interesting. I figured it would be people attacking the messenger because his predictions are almost always wrong.

"Cheaper to produce games should cost less to begin with."

Generally, they do. That's why XBLA and PSN games launch at $10-15. But as far as full-length games, I don't see why the market would support that. It's not like blockbuster summer movies cost more to see than indie flicks. A production cost / in-store price model is not something we're used to in any medium.

I don't disagree that they should launch more games at $40. I just don't see what production cost would have to do with it or why people who buy games would give a crap.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 4:46:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 4:48:18 AM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
how bout we all just wait till E3 when Sony finally reviels everything, we'll know all about price ranges on both the games and the PS4 then, no point in putting faith in speculation.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 5:03:02 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
Oh, good, I was concerned that this info might have originated with a reliable source

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 5:06:11 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
The only game I have ever paid $70 to acquire was Skyward Sword, and it included a music CD and a Wii Motion Plus remote. I am generally unwilling to pay more than $40.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 5:08:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 5:10:21 AM PDT
Lucanus says:
69.99 is still technically in the "sixty" range. If games were priced such, he wouldn't have been lying. I am not saying that is the case, just pointing it out. I do expect games to increase in price next gen, just not at launch.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 5:11:32 AM PDT
Gameresq says:
If Zelda U launches at $70, I will buy it. Everything else, I will delay purchasing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 5:15:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 5:16:26 AM PDT
Lucanus says:
Lol, yeah same here. Maybe Prime 4 if it matches the original in quality. Once the ps4 and 720 gain market share, game price increase wold not shock me. It just wouldn't.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:31:54 AM PDT
B. Cogan says:
$10 dollars adds up and so many of my friends only get a few games every year because of budgets. If so many studios are being shut down due to weak sales you can bet we will see more if the price increases. I am definitely not going to buy as many games if the price increases.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 8:35:00 AM PDT
Looks like I'll be buying more used games. $60 was already too much for an industry that so desperately wants to be mainstream.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 8:37:28 AM PDT
Listen Sony and MS (and Nintendo): Games should be about $20.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:33:12 AM PDT
Games are going to stay at 60. Games don't even sell at 60 unless it's a big time release, Skyrim, Tomb Raider, BF, etc.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:35:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 10:36:38 AM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
I am laughing my head off right now. Why you ask? Well, on another forum, one known to take Pachter's word when he makes his monthly "Nintendooom" prediction were all of a sudden against the man when he said PS4/720 games may be $70.

You know what the really funny part is?

At this same conference he made another "Nintendoom" prediction and they believe it wholeheartedly. He said and I quote: The Wii U would sell "30-50 million units" - much lower than the 99 million Wii consoles sold to date - and was branded as "underwhelming", "essentially a DS split into two parts" and "not innovative enough to drive huge interest" And also that the Wii U will be Nintendo's final console before going 3rd party.

Followed by: "was more positive about the Sony PlayStation 4 and Microsoft's as-yet-unannounced "Durango". Sales projections for both systems are between 85-95 million units."

Which they... you guessed it - believed.

So, let me get this straight. He's right when it's convenient?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:45:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2013 10:46:51 AM PDT
Yeah, the games I've preordered this generation (and thus paid full price for) are pretty much limited to Bioware games. In the future, I may well be buying Collector's Editions of Bioware games (things like DA3 and whatever the next Mass Effect game is, hopefully Jade Empire 2), and will be paying more than $60 anyway.

But I don't see any reason to pay $60 for most games, even if you want to play them right away, steel yourself and wait 2-4 weeks and get them for $20 off.

If the Industry wants to sell some games at $70, that's fine. Certain games can get away with it (looking at you Call of Duty). It would be beyond a mistake to try to sell every retail game at $70, as it's already a mistake to try to sell all retail games at $60. Some games simply can't survive at that price, which is not to say they're not games worth making, but you can't sell them at $60.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:50:35 AM PDT
Or get the game used, if the NextBox will play used games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:54:06 AM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
IF. Never before has a 2 letter word been so important.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:55:14 AM PDT
Well, if the NeXtbox does not play used games, I simply will not buy one. It's as simple as that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:58:13 AM PDT
Zen Kaizoku says:
Not saying that you personally lack conviction, but I find that most people who say they will not buy something because of [Enter issue here] usually buckle before too long.

Resulting in a lot of pre-release hot air blowing. Just an observation.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2013 10:59:10 AM PDT
Indeed.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  106
Initial post:  Mar 9, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions