Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

What's a good PS3 game to play with a 5-year-old?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2013 8:30:54 AM PST
Rockhardly says:
So, my son is kind of getting into gaming.

We bought him a Nintendo 3DS, and he likes Super Mario 3D World. He's not the greatest at it, but he has fun with it.

I bought him Paper Mario for it, but he seems to have gravitated more towards wanting to play the PS3 (Sonymites, insert chortling and Nintendo attacks here).

This is fine with me, because it's more fun to play the PS3 with him as we can both play at the same time.

The problem is that, while I have seen him do some impressive things on some games for a 5-year-old, he also gets frustrated because the difficulty ramps up a bit early and he still has trouble holding the controller so that he can hit all the buttons.

I'm looking for a game we can play together on the PS3 that he can have fun with for more than 15 minutes at a time.

We have some fun with them, but there are little problems with each:

So - the games we've played together (and their problems) are:

Little Big Planet 2 - He likes it, but can't read yet - so when the dude's do their little mumbly thing and you're supposed to read what to do, he can't. Also, it seems to go from "jump here, now jump there" to "jump here while holding R1 long enough to swing here and jump off while pressing up to avoid those spikes - and, by the way, occasionally press square to spawn a box in front of you to jump on" too quickly.

SoundShapes - He loves this game, but there aren't enough simple levels (levels that don't require using the R1, etc.) to keep him interested. I end up needing to get him through parts, and it just devolves into him watching me play.

Ratchet and Klank All 4 One - Similar problem with Little Big Planet. Some parts are ok, but it overwhelms him pretty quickly.

Pac-Man Championship - If this game were co-op, it would be great. Unfortunately, he's playing it alone and it's not fun for both of us.

Disney Universe - Similar to Little Big Planet, but the reading issue is a problem. The characters will tell what to do, but if he can't read - then it's frustrating. Yeah, I can read them out to him, but he's usually running from something or hitting something at the time I'm trying to read it to him, and it doesn't work out too well.

I think a co-op version of Super Mario 3D World would be about perfect, but it doesn't exist (at least not on PS3). I'm thinking there HAS to be a 5-year old friendly co-op game out there on the PS3 that we can play together, but I don't want to keep buying games that look like they may be OK just to find out they aren't working for him.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:32:22 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Just about any of the Lego games (Batman, Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Indy)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:34:41 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Maybe try Wonderbook: Book of Spells? The game is simple enough to play and every portion that has text is read aloud. It's only 4-5 hours in length so it's not like it's too long for him to play.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:34:57 AM PST
JWK says:
Yeah, I have a friend with kids about the age of yours and they're all really into the Lego games. As I understand it, they're pretty fun for adults, too. I can't comment on that since I've only played a couple of levels of Lego Batman and that was a few years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:35:44 AM PST
waxc3 says:
you could sort games by ratings. look for ones rated E For Everyone and there are even games designed just for preschool to grade one aged children.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:36:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2013 8:38:08 AM PST
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure and Skylanders Giants are awesome for this age group. My 5yo son and I have played both co-op multiple times and enjoyed the heck out of them. No reading is necessary, as everything on screen is also spoken aloud. It's a bit of an investment if your kiddo really gets into collecting all of the figures (as mine did), but then he plays with them as toys too, so we've definitely gotten our money's worth. Now that we've beaten the games, he also replays levels on his own and also plays heroic challenges and such. We also play in the battle arena sometimes, which offers something substantially different from the story mode.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:37:14 AM PST
Marauder JJ says:
Maybe try going outside with him and playing catch or something.

Eh

Just kidding, maybe a lego game?

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:37:31 AM PST
So stick with me here but what about Super Star Dust HD? So yes it will get too hard at for a 5 year old after a bit but a twin stick shooter has really easy controls to use with small hand and the mechanics are easy to understand. Just point where you want to move/shoot.

Other option would be Dark Souls, he's got to learn sometime.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:38:11 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Lego games.
De Blob 2

Also just demos. My nephew liked the sonic racers demo and he likes megaman. He just turned 6 a few months ago.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:39:24 AM PST
KrisCo says:
Get Wonderbook, I heard it was all the rage last Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:42:24 AM PST
Wonderbook is a single-player game, isn't it?

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:42:33 AM PST
Zak Iarih says:
Mortal Kombat

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:47:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2013 9:08:20 AM PST
Hmm...that's actually an interesting idea. I may have my kiddo try out Super Stardust Delta on the Vita, as he might enjoy it in very short spurts--or he might just get immediately frustrated, lol. The basic gameplay is simple enough, but fast reflexes and good hand-eye coordination are not exactly a 5-year-old's forte. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:49:06 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
Yes it is. I guess that wouldn't work then if he is wanting a co-op game.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:50:10 AM PST
J. nienaber says:
God of War

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:50:35 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
Toy Story 3 maybe?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:52:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2013 8:56:16 AM PST
S. Lobos says:
Toy Story 3 is great. My son and I enjoyed playing coop on this game. No subtitles, all voiced. Along with a SP campaign, there a Toy Box mode that add tons mini quests.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:52:43 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Oh there's also the new Epic Mickey game. Honestly though I tried playing that with my nephew and it wasn't great. Might be worth a shot for the co-op though (there's a demo too).

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 9:06:12 AM PST
pokritz says:
Skylanders games for sure

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 9:08:39 AM PST
JWK says:
Man, if Skylanders were around when I was a kid, I would have collected the crap out of them.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 9:09:31 AM PST
bulletstorm

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 9:11:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2013 9:11:42 AM PST
Well I guess we'll find out how good their hand eye coordination is.

EDIT: It was really the only thing I could think of that wasn't mentioned, could be played without triggers, and not a T or M rated game.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 9:16:39 AM PST
saskamazon says:
I think the lego games are a good bet ... Skylanders as Classic mentioned - great co-op .... I just got all the required move stuff & extra controllers & think we'll try Sports Champions & Medievil Quest this weekend ... those might be good with your son.... of course there's the Sly / Ratchet & Clank / Jak & Daxter games ... but he might need another year or so to handle those on his own ... Disney Universe is fairly simplistic ...

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 9:22:45 AM PST
LogJam says:
Rayman Origins. At least the first couple worlds

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 9:26:06 AM PST
user22 says:
Was just about to post this.

Some of the levels might be a bit difficult, but it's a fun and wacky game nonetheless.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
2016 VGF Vote to the death...you monsters 3962 11 seconds ago
The Success of Ratchet & Clank Proves There is a Place For AAA Platformers This Generation 11 38 seconds ago
OT: Why Conservative Christians Fear the Affirmation of Transgender Identity: Accepting the very existence of trans* people is an act that threatens conservative Christians' image of G*d. 78 46 seconds ago
Dark Souls III Community Help Thread - **Expect Spoilers** 1494 2 minutes ago
Not an OT Topic about trans! Fable developer Lionhead closes down today 13 4 minutes ago
Weekend gaming 04/28 - 04/30: Clinton accuses Bernie Sanders of attacking her in a North Carolina bathroom. Allegation includes biological warfare; FBI investigation concludes foul stench surprised her was copy of Quantum Break Sanders left in toilet. 64 5 minutes ago
OT: NFL Draft Tonight 260 6 minutes ago
My thoughts on Quantum Break - Spoilers 8 9 minutes ago
Destiny VGF Clan v5.0 6476 9 minutes ago
A young worker apparently commits suicide at Apple's Cupertino campus. Many iPhone workers in China have attempted suicide too 19 13 minutes ago
PlayStation Network sales top entire revenue of Nintendo 8 17 minutes ago
40 Million PS4 Consoles Shipped by Sony as of March 2016; 17.7 Million Shipped in FY 2015 4 20 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions