Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Joe Bonamassa All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Videos Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

best video game hero/character of all time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-66 of 66 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:01:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 11:07:19 AM PST
I have to put Link as a hero. To me, he's the quintessential video game hero, and his journey matches it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:06:05 AM PST
John 117 talks quite a bit in 4 (and 3)

As for top Hero....Mario...The games are almost always of the highest quality, he (and his games) have meant so much to the industry as a whole.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:15:23 AM PST
user22 says:
Hero: Kratos
Villain: Kratos

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:19:10 AM PST
1#Fetish says:
My guy in fallout 3.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:20:42 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:30:01 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:36:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 11:37:40 AM PST
DVvM says:
I'm not personally a fan of silent protagonists.

I would say the best character in video games is probably "The Nameless One" from Planescape:Torment (Goddamn is that a masterpiece.)

Close second is Guybrush Threepwood.

But generally speaking, in video games supporting characters are generally more strongly characterized than protagonists. I mean, I love Mass Effect, and I like that Commander Shepard is in large part my creation, but other characters like Garrus and Wrex and Mordin are stronger characters than Shepard.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:36:13 AM PST
Peter says:
The Nerevarine.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 11:55:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 11:56:23 AM PST
Solid Snake
Fei Fong Wong (Xenogears)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Garrus (Mass Effect)
Wrex (Mass Effect)

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 12:10:07 PM PST
"Link is a true hero in every sense of the word"

Ah...I love Link, but he's too passive to be a truly great character. He never shows fear or reluctance or even pride. He just does whatever anyone tells him to do without question. He's a great hero for his deeds, but I don't think of him as an all-time great hero because he's not relatable in the least.

Then again I guess a lot of the silent protags suffer that same condition. You could say they're feeling whatever reluctance or fear that you as their player are. That's why I always prefer characters that speak for themselves. I know what *I'd* do in a given situation so it kind of spoils the story :P

With that in mind, I'd choose Samus from Other M...just kidding. I'd probably go with Glen the Frog from Chrono Trigger. He's noble, he's broken, and he's a badass. Although, his character is only really amazing if you as a player choose to spare Magus (leaving Frog trapped in his cursed form). There's something just amazing about a hero who will choose NOT to lift his curse by slaying the evil wizard. It's takes more guts to put away the sword than it does to use it in revenge.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 12:12:53 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 12:15:31 PM PST
Holy Necro, Batman! I just realized this post is from 2009. Lol, whatever. It's a good topic.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:04:36 PM PST
Gameresq says:
Link, definitely, though I would suggest Snake and Alucard as runners-up

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 2:33:04 PM PST
Peter says:
I dont know about Link. I mean, he cant even decide how old he is. Is he a kid, is he an adult? Also, he keeps having the same issues over and over. Talk about not closing the deal, lol.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:43:28 PM PST
A customer says:
Damn, I ain't been here in 3 years. Alucard is one of my favorite VG characters, particularly in SotN. Bad. Ass. However, I find it hilarious that he can traipse through Dracula's castle vanquishing hordes of minions like a BOSS, but he screams like a biatch when he goes down the elevator in the tower of mist: "WAAAAAAHHH!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:46:20 PM PST
Gameresq says:
Alucard raided his father's castle, hacked apart countless minions and then confronted and killed his own father in order to prevent a great evil. He is a very compelling character.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:47:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 6:51:02 PM PST
I don't get the hate that Kratos receives as a character. His brother was taken from him (then killed), he's obligated to murder innocents to repay his debts to Ares, he accidentally murdered the wife and child, he gets reunited with his daughter only to be forced to abandon her to save her, he goes through countless trials in his servitude to earn forgiveness, he got tortured by the Furies by having to relive his misfortunes, the Gods didn't keep their promised reward of taking away his nightmares, he's forced to kill his own mother, etc. All of this turns him into a man with unrivaled, ambitious rage, and all the while he has nothing to lose. That's what makes him so compelling IMO. Fate destroyed everything he ever loved, and he struck back with a vengeance, no matter what was at stake (most of the time anyway). He may be a monster, but he's a sympathetic monster given what he went through.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
I believe I am officially no longer a gamer... 89 11 seconds ago
PS4 Getting $50 Price Drop - Report 47 2 minutes ago
OT: Week 4 of the NFL Season. Starting QB's are dropping like flies while Brady, Rogers, and Palmer (yes Palmer) are lighting the NFL up. WHO YA GOT! 59 45 minutes ago
Button mapping coming to all Xbox One controllers soon 24 1 hour ago
Official VGF Super Mario Maker Discussion and Level Sharing Thread 434 1 hour ago
dis one time i shoryuken 'd my cat and it did a spinning bird kick 21 1 hour ago
off topic Good women 2 2 hours ago
OT:The Martian? 38 2 hours ago
Recommended Games for PS4? 12 2 hours ago
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 751 2 hours ago
Shuhei Yoshida: "We weren't expecting this many people would buy a PlayStation 4" 34 2 hours ago
Xbox One Boss Explains Wait for Background Music Feature 3 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  36
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Oct 17, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions