Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

TIME magazine's Top 100 Games of all time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 142 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:47:47 AM PST
Anthony says:
well, i was happy to see FFT, my favorite FF game on the list.

i just don't get why they put Oblivion, the crappiest of the Console Elder Scrolls games on the list rather than Morrowind or Skyrim.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:49:36 AM PST
Anthony says:
that is kind of a major blow to the legitimacy of the list. pokemon has had a pretty damn big impact on the handheld scene.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:50:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 11:51:05 AM PST
Biohazard says:
MGS1 PSX>MGS3>MGS Twin Snakes>MGS 2>MGS 4

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:51:38 AM PST
Never played Twin Snakes but I agree with the rest, or I'd flip MGS3 above the first, maybe.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:52:19 AM PST
Anthony says:
I'm surprised foxhound hasn't jumped in yet.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:52:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 11:52:43 AM PST
SMH says:
I've never seen any list posted here that didn't get immediately skewered by everyone because of one or two inclusions or omissions..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:53:21 AM PST
Anthony says:
"Of course, I was a child at the time and children are stupid."

*resists opening*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:53:35 AM PST
I think Fox agrees with me about MGS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:54:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 11:56:03 AM PST
Biohazard says:
Twin Snakes: Better graphics, less intense, voice acting is dull compared to the original, has some MGS 2's mechanics...Overall it's great just not as good as the original.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:57:21 AM PST
Ha. First was a Commodore 64, if you consider that a console. After that, Atari 2600, then NES, then Genesis, then SNES, then N64, then Playstation, then XBOX, then Tapwave Zodiac, then (and still) 360, then (and still) Wii, then (and still) PS3, then (and still) 3DS, then (and still) Vita. Never actually owned a PS2. My best friend back then had one, so I played a lot on his, but never owned it myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:57:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 11:59:43 AM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
MGS3 is the best, without question, to me. Of course, just after it I'd put MGS1 and MGS4 at about the same level. My MGS experience is a little odd, though - I played all four for the first time within a couple months time a few years back.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:01:24 PM PST
Be glad you haven't. Twin Snakes is absolute garbage.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:01:25 PM PST
Um, yes. Literally #1. It has no major weaknesses. The only gripe people can come up with is "the cutscenes are too long". I disagree. Video games are entertainment, and it certainly does that. And the cutscenes are excellently done. The shooting mechanics are great, the story is awesome (though over the head of most ADD people who can't pay attention long enough to get it), the action mechanics are great, the enemies are varied and challenging, the environments are drastically varied, the boss fights are epic, and you can approach the game any way you want (stealth, full-on, hybrid, etc). And the graphics are great...they still hold up today as some of the best ever. Oh, and there are a bunch of hidden things to discover. Just no areas of significant weakness. No game is perfect, but MGS4 is as close as any game has come for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:02:22 PM PST
Biohazard says:
The best if you have the time is to play them all from beginning to end. I did it in like a 2 months or so including Twin Snakes, was a real blast.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:03:01 PM PST
I agree with the first part. FFT is awesome.

I do think Oblivion should be on here. It had a lot of boring parts, and EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER spoke with an effeminate lisp. But the stuff it did well, it did REALLY well. To me, Skyrim seems generic in comparison. Interestingly, the graphics and art direction of Oblivion are more generic, but when I think about the two games in relation to each other, Skyrim seems more generic to me.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:03:25 PM PST
Carlito says:
I don't get why this concept is lost or so hard for some people. MSG2,3,4 aren't on the list because the series was already represented with MSG. Uncharted 2 didn't make the list because Tomb Raider is already represented.

Unless there was a clear and distinct departure from the original source of a series (ie FF7 from the prior 6), larger cultural impact, or hightened popularity, they didn't put sequels on and instead just had them represented by the original in the series.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:04:03 PM PST
SMH says:
"the story is awesome (though over the head of most ADD people who can't pay attention long enough to get it),"

Ahh...the "you're too stupid to see why this is awesome" argument.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:05:54 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
That's what I'm saying that I did. My first time to play through any of the games was playing them pretty well back-to-back from MGS to MGS4.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:06:46 PM PST
Kirksnowsion says:
Oh, and I've only played the Twin Snakes version of the first game. It was fine. Nothing wrong with that version.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:06:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 12:08:42 PM PST
I haven't finished MGS3 yet (I'm working through it now via the HD collection, probably 70% of the way through), but I've played all of the others. For me MGS4 > Peace Walker > MGS3 (so far) > MGS1 > MGS2 > Portable Ops (and all the other PSP ones). MGS3 might swap with Peace Walker by the time I finish it, but I loved the collectible stuff in Peace Walker...addicting as crack...and there's no way it will surpass MGS4. The controls and camera just aren't up to snuff, nor are the enemies as varied.

Keep in mind that I hadn't played any of the MGS games until 4, so that was my entry point to the series, and I was blown away. It's the only game I've beaten numerous times (4). The only other games I've beaten more than once are Uncharted 2 and War of the Lions (other than games like Civilization which are designed to be played over and over).

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:07:39 PM PST
Athas says:
That is an impressive list. Actually I think it's the best of the worst I've seen from dedicated gaming magazines/websites. *Gasp*.

MGS 3-1-2 for me. Have 4 on backlog.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:10:52 PM PST
Yes, there is. The totally inappropriate music and ridiculous Matrix-esque cutscenes being worst offenders.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 12:11:38 PM PST
M. McFly says:
Great list considering its impossible to make list like this. what is desktop defense?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:11:42 PM PST
I agree. The lack of Neverwinter, Baldur's gate on here is disturbing.

Also, no Alpha Centauri?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 12:15:11 PM PST
OP says:
If it's the one I think it is, it's a flash game; played that one a whole lot trying to get the right layout for a noleak run.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  142
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions