Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

I got into the God of War: Ascension Beta (first impressions)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 87 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 6:32:30 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
There are two different modes: Favor of the Gods, and Team Favor of the Gods. I chose "team" so it would be a bit easier. Your character is either of Spartan or Trojan alliance (i.e. team). You may outfit your character with different armor (torso), lower armor (leggings) and helmet (head) as well as weapon and magic abilities. Each piece of armor and/or weapon changes your stats the same way equipping items in an RPG does.

Take for example the Gladiator chest armor adds +120 to your physical strength, but -80 to your physical resistance, but the Armor of the Oracle increases elemental damage and resistance but has no physical strength benefits.

So after you equip your armor, you select your items (which are basically passive perks) Example: Ares' Battle Horn is +10 recovery and some other combat related stat. From there, the game exits the lobby and you start the match.

Now the only level available is the Desert of the Lost Souls (the level shown with the Cyclops Titan on every screenshot) There are 3 altars throughout the level that you must capture and hold. Now the object of the game is to earn Favor of the Gods by reaching 8000 favor. Well, favor is gained by capturing and defending altars, killing opponents, doing specific tasks, and eventually killing the Cyclops. First team to reach 8000 wins. After the match is over, all your bonuses (such as first kill, killstreak stopper, capturing altars etc) are added into your XP, which will unlock new weapons and armor.

It's extremely fast and chaotic. The control scheme is pretty much the same as other GOW games, other than the fact they added a parry and counter mechanic and R1 allows you to pick up items on the battlefield like weapons and powerups such as Ares' battle hammer and Hermes' boots for extra speed. Also they added traps to the battlefield, such as pulling levers to impale opponents on spikes or engulf them in flames. The Cyclops can also insta-kill you.

The graphics are siiiiicccck though. Best looking GOW yet. Looking forward to playing the whole thing in March.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:34:41 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
This is definitely one of those series that didn't need to add in MP.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:35:07 AM PST
The shoehorning of multiplayer into every franchise is starting to get a little lame...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:36:29 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Re-edit to say it's JUST like Power Stone. Benpachi will love it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:39:24 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
Agreed. But as long as the Single Player story doesn't suffer, I'm not going to complain.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:43:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 6:44:35 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
Sorry to double post, just checked my email. I have an extra beta key for anyone who wants it.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:46:57 AM PST
Soulshine says:
Sounds fun! --ahem, I mean, stupid MP - get out of our SP games. grumblegrumble

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:54:52 AM PST
LogJam says:
All I needed to hear was that you didn't immediately hate it. Thanks for the preview my man

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:56:47 AM PST
Lucanus says:
Where does this game fit into the main story line? A prequel? But wasn't the GoW Origins also prequels? Thanks in advance I am trying to decide my interest level in the game. I personally loved GoW 1-3, but sold Origins after I finished it. I just thought the story lines were weak in Origins compared to the trilogy which is fantastic. My favorite boss fight is still the first against the Minotaur. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:59:57 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
That's good to hear you like the beta!

I played one match when I was at PAX earlier this year and it was a blast. Since it was there the option wasn't given to pick your character or equipment so that's good to know there are quite a few options for that. The battles were hectic and I was a beast at it since I was killing people left and right. That's odd for me since I suck at God of War games. I'm still debating on whether or not I will buy the game right away though.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:00:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:00:49 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
I think the game is covering the time period RIGHT after Kratos pledged allegiance to Ares after losing to the Barbarian King and got his blades of chaos. I'm guessing its going to be Kratos completing tasks to please Ares the ending will involve killing some God Ares doesn't like. Just speculating.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:00:28 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Ghost of Sparta is easily the best game in the franchise, although I haven't played 3 yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:01:16 AM PST
JWK says:
Thanks for telling us about your experience, Cinema. I was interested what people thought about the beta. While I'm not really into MP, at least it's not generic pew pew multiplayer.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:01:26 AM PST
Cinema Fan says:
Oh man, you're missing out. 3 is an awesome experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:01:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:03:03 AM PST
Lucanus says:
That would be pretty cool then. Such a story line would fit into the trilogy nicely. I didn't think Ghost and Chains fit well, it felt forced to me. But I am not here to flame GoW, especially given I love the main trilogy, so I will say no more about Origins. Thanks for the information/thoughts. :)

Fox, really? I easily like 1 the most, the story was superb and the boss fights excellent. I liked 2 the second most followed by 3. To each their own. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:04:31 AM PST
Agreed. 3 is easily the worst in the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:05:50 AM PST
J. Pardee says:
I still have only played the first two God of War games but the second was easily better than the first. Mostly from the sole fact that the second game didn't have that seriously awful part where you had to climb up the wall of spinning blades.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:07:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:07:51 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I disagree with Fox and Punk, 3 was superb and far better than Chains/Sparta. I think 2 is better crafted, as most sequels are, but the overall story line was far stronger in 1. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:08:17 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I said I didn't play 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:09:02 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
1 > 3 > 2

DEFINITIVE.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:09:12 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
I'm actually looking forward to this. I was a negative Nancy when it was first announced because it does seem like a jump the shark moment for the franchise, but after having this generation fill us to the brim with MP shooter after shooter, the idea of a nice competetive brawler set in that fiction may provide a much needed distraction.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:09:37 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I liked Ghost of Sparta much better than GoW 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:14:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:15:20 AM PST
LogJam says:
I'm pretty sure it's set right after our boy Kratos pledges his life to Ares and gets tricked into killing his family. I know the Furies are after him for some reason. My guess is they were sent by the other gods when they realized Kratos wouldn't favor them?

Cinema kinda beat me to it

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:19:52 AM PST
I can live with that. I would add the two portable games between 1 and 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:27:11 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Oh yeah. I need to remember which flavor Collection to get. Now there's God of War: Collection, God of War: Origins Collection, and God of War Saga Collection. It's a bit much, don't you think, Sony?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  87
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions