Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

What are your impressions on the Wii U since release?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2013 12:38:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 12:55:12 PM PST
Fidel Amaya says:
Edit: This was a mess

I have only been able to play demos on it. Have seen previews for games that are on it and so far i like what im seeing.

What are your thoughts on it?

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:39:45 PM PST
It's cool but I don't see a need to buy one yet. I had quite a bit of fun with Nintendoland at a buddy's place, especially on the Donkey Kong crashing thing and the multiplayer Zelda thing. Nothing's piqued my interest in purchasing it yet though. We'll see what happens in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 12:40:11 PM PST
FOGE says:
Its not as shiny.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 12:42:22 PM PST
Well seeing as I don't own it most my impressions are pretty superficial. It's white, it has a big tablet controller, it is indeed a console.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:43:44 PM PST
S. Brown says:
How can you like the games if you haven't played the system?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 12:43:58 PM PST
Mine is black.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 12:44:21 PM PST
Racist!

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:45:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2013 12:50:16 PM PST
Lucanus says:
1) I like the Gamepad. It is light weight, the screen is great looking, the buttons are responsive and well placed.

2) Nintendoland is a great party game, but not worth much more.

3) NSMB-U is the best Mario since SMW, but still just a 2D Mario. While it is fun, it isn't revoluationary and doesn't sell the system to non hardcore Nintendo fans.

4) The console is small, runs cool and is very quiet.

5) OS still runs like crap and Wii VC is poorly implemented

6) The game lineup, IMHO, is weak. I haven't turned my U on in weeks. And that doesn't seem to be changing anytime soon. Pikmin 3 will be my next game.

7) Graphically most games look meh, but some clearly show what the system can do. Stuff like Trine 2 and Rayman Legends are clearly 1.5x ps3/360 graphically. The developer behind Trine 2 even stated the U version couldn't be done on the ps3/360, so that is a good sign.

Overally I am meh at the moment, I had fun with it when it was released, but haven't touched it since then. The potential is there and I am sure Nintendo will offer superb 1st and 2nd party support. Overall, I'd say it is a great system for Nintendo fans, but not a good buy for non Nintendo fans. I also think the system is a bit overpriced at $350 for the deluxe. 2013 seems weak for 3rd party support and I see this as being a trend. I see the U being like the N64, great first party games, solid sales, nothing more. Since I love Nintendo I know in time I will be pleased as punch with my U.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 12:46:22 PM PST
Bobbum Man says:
Perhaps OP likes what they've seen so far from videos and whatnot?

Is this Senator Scott Brown?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 12:47:13 PM PST
Ice King says:
I like it so far but I'm ready for more games.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 12:59:47 PM PST
Lucanus says:
Thinking out loud, the U for me is almost the same as the ps3 launch. I remember getting one, loving it, beating Resistance.... and then wondering what to do with the system. The U is like that for me with NSMB, which I finished over a month ago. Why do I buy systems at launch? One would think I'd learn not too. Really for the first 1-2 years, they get very little attention because the lineup is so thin. Pikmin 3 will be great, but won't take more than 2-3 weeks to finish. Though Monster Hunter looks fantastic, that will probably keep me busy. :)

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:00:20 PM PST
I love the Wii U. It doesn't have the best launch lineup, unless you don't already own a PS3/360, but NSMBU is a great game. Like any new console ever launched, it's sitting unused most of the time while I wait for new games. But this is to be expected. When I do use it, I have a great time! They still need to fix the slow load times in the OS, and the Wii functionality is pretty counterintuitive. However, I notice Wii games look just slightly better than they used to when running on Wii U, though I notice some bugs on some Virtual Console titles. I love, love, LOVE Miiverse. It's by far the best social community I've seen on a console, and I can't wait to see what Nintendo will do with it going forward. Nintendo TVii is also highly impressive, and will be even better once Netflix comes aboard. Rayman Legends is currently my most anticipated title, and then we'll see. Also anxious to see Dragon Quest X, and maybe even a Xenoblade sequel (drool!).

I definitely have zero regrets on purchasing this at launch.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:15:21 PM PST
jtshiel says:
Did anyone here make a killing from flipping Wii U's during the holidays?

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:16:59 PM PST
I.Flores says:
I still don't have an opinion.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:18:21 PM PST
Zero says:
I am loving it so far. The only games I have so far are Mario Bros. U and Nintendo Land, but the Mario game is pretty much the best side scrolling mario game since Super Mario World. I really like Miiverse, more so than I thought I would. It is being handled really well so far. My favorite thing though is the internet browser, what with it being faster than my actual computer. All the console needs now is more games.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:20:45 PM PST
Miiverse is amazing fun. I had a buddy over the other night who hadn't spent any time with the U yet. He ran around the plaza in Nintendoland looking at posts, messing with people and laughing like a madman for at least 30min. He told me that experience alone had convinced him to pick one up. Personally, I really enjoy being able play a game or just check out Miiverse while I'm watching something on the TV with my gal. My biggest disappointment at the moment comes from lack of quality offerings on the VC.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 1:24:41 PM PST
"My biggest disappointment at the moment comes from lack of quality offerings on the VC."

How can the VC be a disappointment? Just about every great game from the NES era to the N64 is there.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:25:13 PM PST
Lucanus says:
I think VC really needs to be incorporated into the U, instead of running on Wii BC. Give me some tablet support with Ocarina and Majora for maps please. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 1:26:25 PM PST
I wonder if they'll do that after the failure of the "New Play Control!" line they tried. Using the tablet for the map screen for old games would be awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 1:28:00 PM PST
Oops, I meant to say the e-store offerings.

"How can the VC be a disappointment? Just about every great game from the NES era to the N64 is there."

And not one playable on the gamepad : (

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:41:44 PM PST
Nightmare says:
I'm loving the Wii U. ZombiU was and is an amazing experience. IMO, it made buying the Wii U worth it all by itself. NSMBU is fun, but not as defining of the system as ZombiU is for me. I've also enjoyed Nintendoland, and I'm working through Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge at the moment. I beat Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition recently, and that was very enjoyable as well.

Miiverse is rather addictive. Sometimes I want to go check out what's going on instead of firing up a game. It's an awesome feature to say the least.

TVii is pretty cool, and I can't wait for it to support Netflix. The regular Netflix App is awesome in the mean time.

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 1:44:15 PM PST
I'm surprised that so few Wii U owners on this forum have picked up ZombieU. That game looks like a cross between Dark Souls and Resident Evil. Would be my first purchase if I had the console.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 1:45:23 PM PST
But it's not Dark Souls. Dark Souls is Dark Souls.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 1:49:14 PM PST
ZombiU isn't even remotely as good as those games. It's a good attempt at true survival horror and it does have a few good ideas, but in many ways it's as generic as its title. The best thing about it is the GamePad integration. But the game itself is just meh.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 1:52:45 PM PST
Yes I realize that. That wasn't my point.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions