Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Far Cry 3

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 346 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 28, 2012 3:30:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 3:34:24 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Is pretty freakin' awesome! Wow, this really is Skyrim with guns. The plant picking, crafting, and even the music when you do certain things like pick a skill after you level up definitely has a Skyrim flair to it.

The gun play is fast and exciting. I'm going pure stealth with a silenced G69 (or something) pistol and the recurved bow, which is a fantastic weapon. It's nice being able to get your arrows back 100% of the time, unlike Skyrim where it's random based on a roll if you're going to get your arrows back. I've taken out multiple enemy outposts with nothing but a bow, knife and some rocks.

The first outpost I came across, there was as I was scouting the area to get the best possible vantage, I saw a tiger on the road, so I lured it into the camp by throwing rocks and it went to town killing 3 enemies and a dog before it was taken down. 2 arrows later, and the place was mine.

The skills are fun too, like I have a skill now that allows me to drag bodies after I perform a stealth kill with my knife on them, which is way better than leaving them there for all to see, then the base gets alerted, it's just not good.

As I mentioned earlier, the crafting is so much fun. The map makes finding animals really easy and there are plants of different colors all over the place. I really spend most of my time looking for animals so that I can craft things that let me hold more items, weapons and money. Crafting couldn't be easier either. You don't need to go to a village to find a deer hide to tan leather, all you need are the requisite ingredients and you can craft right from the Start menu, and, in terms of equipment, it's automatically equipped and ready for use.

Speaking of money, it's everywhere, and the shop is cheap. You can buy weapons and then buy attachments for those weapons. Every dead body has cash or an item you can sell for cash. It took no time at all before my 1k wallet was full. Now my wallet can carry 4k, and I'm filling that up in record time too.

The game is fantastic, it's like Just Cause 2 on steroids. I can't wait to play more of it tonight.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 4:28:43 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
Damn Fox, your impressions just made me so pumped to play this.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:05:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:05:19 AM PST
GDI Foxxy.

(what system?)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:07:21 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
PS3.

@Mayo, my bow has a red dot sight on it. I dropped a sniper who was on a rooftop by being higher than him on some rocks. Took out a sniper with a bow. It's so much fun. As soon as I saw that bow, I knew that would be my next gun purchase. Now I need to make ammo pouches so I can carry more than 5 arrows. Gotta go hunt me some tapirs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:23:18 AM PST
I've been loving it so much. Been getting a whole bunch of new skills around doing my takedown moves. I can now chain them together, kill a distant guy by throwing a knife after a takedown, or even pull a pin on a grenade and kick them away.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:27:30 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm trying to level up to get all of those skills. I'm definitely more interested in the stealth skills. Out and out action in this game is brutally hard it seems to favor a stealth approach anyway. I really want the multiple takedown skill though because it's hard to only pull one guy. The AI usually pairs them up, and they usually cross each others fov.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:31:07 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:57:42 AM PST
Scratchy says:
The second island isn't all that fun but you get the winged suit once you unlock that island which leads to a whole bunch of awesome moves. Jumping off a cliff opening wing suit and stabbing the guy below you is just awesome. Sadly I was only able to pull it off that one time seeing how you move pretty fast still looked BA nevertheless.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:35:26 AM PST
Before I had multi-takedowns I'd wait until one guy was somewhat in front of the other, use a stealth weapon to take out the guy in the back (often the bow) and run up and and take out the other guy. Even if he is alerted and turns around I can usually take him out before he has a chance to react.

I usually start stealthy and before long it becomes all out war. Stealth has started to become less common for me as I just got explosive arrows and a flamethrower and that stuff is balls crazy fun to use.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:36:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:37:03 AM PST
I keep trying to do that but by jumping off a hang glider. I usually just end up a splat on the ground right next to the guy I wanted to kill...I might be jumping out too high up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:36:36 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Explosive arrows? That's so Rambo.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:41:38 AM PST
Yeah, yeah it is :)

There are also RPGs in the game and those are fun but there is something so much more special with going all rambo and taking out an entire boat of people with an explosive arrow. Sometimes one or two might even survive the blast and if you are really REALLY lucky, you get to watch them get attacked by a shark.

if you can't tell I freakin' LOVE this game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:42:41 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Yeah, this game is great. I had it for a couple weeks now, but I just started playing it last night. I wish that I had played it as soon as I got it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:47:35 AM PST
It was a Christmas gift from the wife for me and I've been playing it since the night I got it. Last night I finally started doing some more story missions as I had more skill points than I had unlocked skills to put those points into. I think I realize that I should try to knock out a story mission or two every now and then because they are also really fun.

It was funny since some of the missions I was doing were still giving me tutorials for things I have been doing for hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:52:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 5:52:49 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I'm the same way. As soon as they take the leash off of me I get instant ADD and begin to wander around the gameworld doing random things.

"What about saving your friends?"

'Huh? Oh, yeah, that sounds good, but you said that there are sharks over there and I need shark skin for my rugged ruckpack so I can carry more items."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 5:55:12 AM PST
Wife: So the point of this game is to save your friends from that crazy guy, right?
Me: Right.
Wife: and what are you doing?
Me: Hunting tapirs with a flame thrower.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:00:44 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Even though I got a ton of other games for Christmas, this thread makes me want to go out and buy this one.

So thanks a lot. You ruined Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:01:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 6:01:24 AM PST
got mayo?™ says:
x100000!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:03:01 AM PST
Achievement Unlocked

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:05:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 6:06:27 AM PST
Scratchy says:
not sure if anyone price matched but I saw FC3 for $40 at target a day or two ago.

Yup looks like its only in store tho.
http://www.target.com/p/far-cry-3-playstation-3/-/A-13713787#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=far cry 3

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:08:13 AM PST
Looks like it still is $40 at target and $50 at Best Buy and Amazon.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:11:21 AM PST
Marvelous says:
Good impressions Fox, but Skyrim has nothing on Far Cry.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:11:37 AM PST
Pick 34 says:
Lol, the flamethrower is epic. My gf was watching me as I tried to hunt a shark with a flamethrower, and looked at me like I was stupid. I had to try it, though. My only problem is I catch on fire a lot. I'm not talking about the flamethrower, just walking by campfires sets me ablaze, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:13:43 AM PST
Marvelous says:
Haha my GF was watching me play and said something similar... she was like, why are you playing poker when your friends need your help?

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:26:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 6:26:33 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Awesome game.

I didn't like the bow much, but I did get the achievement for hitting a sniper from like 100meters/yards away, had his head at the very bottom of the sight or w/e, was an awesome moment watching him drop.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 6:28:13 AM PST
I'm not really the best at judging how much the arrow will drop so I rarely hit people when that far away with the bow. Luckily I have this nice silenced sniper rifle.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  346
Initial post:  Dec 28, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions