Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Just bought Jade Empire Special Edition for $3.74 on Steam

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 8:01:14 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Deal of the Day. 14 Hrs left as of right now.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:17:18 PM PST
DVvM says:
What's in the special edition that's not in the regular one?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:20:47 PM PST
Does this play well on a PC?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:21:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 7:07:50 AM PST
It has problems on Steam. If you have trouble launching it from the config create a blank notepad file, name it SystemInformation.xml and put it in the game "data" folder. That actually made it playable for me.

But just a warning, I've heard of tons of people having trouble with it using Windows 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:22:11 PM PST
Doh.

And no GoG version, right?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:51:53 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Working beautifully for me right now, playing with a 360 controller and it feels and looks much better than the Xbox version IMO.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:39:24 PM PST
Joshua C says:
I had a plethora of issues getting it to work in Windows 7. It was a nightmare that made me regret the entire purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:35:47 AM PST
Honestly not sure if there's a GoG version. I just bought it last year I think on the Christmas sale or around there for about the same price it is now. Couldnt get it to play for MONTHS and honestly just gave up on it and saw it as 4 bucks lost.

It seems to work ok though, finally read a post on the Steam forums and that system information thing worked for me. But I saw TONS of other tech issues people were having with the game. So just wanted to put it out there that it seems to be great.....if it works for you.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:38:35 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
The combat system is absolutely awful but otherwise it's a good game. I would really like to see a sequel with some functional gameplay.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:49:41 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Memory is fuzzy but if I remember right the special edition lets you used a different character. I think he had his own special fighting style.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 5:57:35 AM PST
They also added an area didn't they? I think the differences are listed on the steam store page.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:33:04 AM PST
I still haven't been able to get it to work on 7. One of these days I'll give it another shot. The game is fantastic...one of my favorite RPGs ever. In fact, this and the KOTOR games are what got me into RPGs in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:34:26 AM PST
Do you mean "notepad file"? Or do you actually want a second folder inside the data folder?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:41:16 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
There must be some new patches out for the game or something, because it worked perfectly for me right away. Already had support for 360 controller and widescreen 1080p ready to go. Only played a bit, but it played perfectly. Running Windows 7 64 bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:52:29 AM PST
Create a blank notepad file. Go into it, and save as SystemInformation.xml.

Take that file and go to the Jade Empire's game folder in Steam. It should be Program Files - > Steam - > steamapps - > Jade Empire - > data.

In that folder, just drag and drop the empty SystemInformation.xml file and that should help solve problems if you were having issues getting the game to launch. If you were having some of the other issues I'm not 100% sure. But that one fixed the launching issue for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 6:57:10 AM PST
Gotcha. Thanks. Earlier, you said, "create a blank notepad folder" (rather than "file"), so I just wanted to make sure. I'll give it a shot and see if I can get it to to work. The game is worth it!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:58:07 AM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
The Config utility never worked for me, but I just adjusted the settings in game and you also can edit the .ini file as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:09:52 AM PST
Ahh oops! Didnt catch that, just went back and edited it to make you look crazy now :P

And yeah, hopefully it works for you, the game is really really fun, it honestly just seems like Steam or Bioware didnt put the full installation on Steam and that seems to be causing some issues. I even read some forum posts about people just deleting EVERYTHING related to the game and reinstalling and having that work too. But its hard to really tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 7:11:28 AM PST
LOL, thanks. I'm going to try this shortly and see if it does the trick. I tried a number of things back when I bought it, but still couldn't get it to work.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:18:50 AM PST
I don't see Jade Empire 2 BiOWHERE!?

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 7:21:22 AM PST
GUEST!! says:
I had this game for the Xbox. Every time I tried to play it on my 360 the system redringed. Coincidence?

Probably.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 2:06:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 4:14:12 PM PST
Also, it's Program Files (x86) -> Steam -> steamapps -> common -> Jade Empire -> data.

This fix actually worked for me. The config utility still crashes, but the game itself runs now. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:19:24 PM PST
I tried to buy it earlier and had missed the deal.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 2:51:30 PM PST
"What's in the special edition that's not in the regular one?"

It's a lot better than the original XBOX version. It has better resolutions and textures plus improved AI, bug fixes, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:02:05 AM PST
Sparhawk says:
There never was a nonspecial version for PC, far as I can tell. An extra style and bishonen character model are what I remember being advertised as special when I bought it...like ten years ago. o.o
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions