To give some context, Soul Sacrifice has commonly been described as Sony's answer to Capcom's phenomenally successful - in Japan at least - Monster Hunter franchise, with rumour mills going around to suggest that development was pushed ahead as a reaction to the 3DS nabbing Monster Hunter 3 G - that's Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to us - and this summer's Monster Hunter 4. Soul Sacrifice does go for an approach that uses magic a great deal, along with more mythical beasts and environments, yet there are undoubtedly similarities that give the "Sony's Monster Hunter" tag a little credence. Combining both versions of the Vita-exclusive brings week one sales of 114,000; for comparison, Monster Hunter 3 G sold 471,055 copies in its first two days on sale. The "Best Price" version of that title - given its own listing and separate lifetime sales - is still just about hanging on in the software top 20.
1. [PS3] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F - 110,229 (New)
2. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice - 92,396 (New)
3. [PSP] Uta no Prince-sama All Star - 67,217 (New)
4. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 63,285 (2,802,940)
5. [PSV] Tales of Hearts R - 55,258 (New)
6. [PS3] Dynasty Warriors 8 - 46,866 (250,090)
7. [PS3] Far Cry 3 - 33,281 (New)
8. [3DS] Professor Layton and the Azran Legacies - 30,078 (160,764)
9. [3DS] Dragon Quest VII: Warriors of Eden - 24,045 (1,159,265)
10. [PSV] Soul Sacrifice Double Pack - 22,050 (New)
11. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission - 21,915 (110,302)
12. [PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 17,138 (111,461)
13. [PSV] Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus - 17,138 (111,461)
14. [3DS] Doraemon: Nobita to Himitsu Dougu Hakubutsukan - 12,768 (New)
15. [PSV] Phantasy Star Online 2 - 10,031 (71,258)
16. [PS3] Crysis 3 - 9,602 (New)
17. [PS3] Macross 30: Ginga o Tsunagu Utagoe - 9,294 (72,383)
18. [PSP] Shining Ark - 9,161 (63,999)
19. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 8,452 (1,950,816)
20. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Best Price!) - 8,096 (252,737)
And so to the hardware results. 3DS saw sales of both units dip this week, not helped by the absence of high profile new releases; Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon spooks Japan on 20th March. Even combining the two SKUs sees 3DS fall just behind Vita, while as expected Wii U remained at its usual level as it awaits new releases in the coming weeks; last week's sales are in parenthesis.
PlayStation Vita - 63,581 (62,543)
3DS LL - 39,801 (50,265)
3DS - 21,207 (27,174)
PlayStation 3 - 19,567 (25,725)
PSP - 18,023 (11,171)
Wii U - 9,454 (10,021)
Wii - 1,363 (1,383)
Xbox 360 - 738 (486)
So there you have it, one week when Nintendo didn't win in Japan; we imagine the company is expecting to go back to the top pretty soon.
Hell hath indeed frozen over. Well, can't say I saw this coming, but as the article said this is pretty much a random spike and things will "normalize" soon enough.
Sound Off Below.