Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Gamesradar names their nominations and pick for 2012 Game of the Year

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 7:41:45 AM PST
JWK says:
Game of the Year
What makes a Game of the Year? Measuring up review scores is one often-cited way of going about it, but that doesn't quite do it. Review scores are, after all, first and foremost purchasing advice, seeking to answer the question "Is this game worth your time and money?" So what question does Game of the Year seek to answer? We'd put forth: "Is the industry most benefited by the release of this game?"

This year's contenders hail from nearly every established genre, and some are so innovative to have created genres all their own. Each and everyone has made significant contributions to the future of the industry, be it the emergent narrative found in Far Cry 3, the exhaustive multiplayer suite of Halo 4, the profound narrative in The Walking Dead, or the emotional resonance of Journey. But which rose above the rest? Read on.

http://www.gamesradar.com/best-games-2012/

Nominations:
Darksiders II
Dishonored
Far Cry 3
Halo 4
Hitman: Absolution
Journey
Mass Effect 3
Max Payne 3
The Walking Dead
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

And the winner is... The Walking Dead

Yes, a licensed zombie game by the developer of those Sam & Max games is the best game of 2012. No, we didn't see it coming, either. We didn't expect to be immediately drawn into the crumbling world. We didn't expect to to think that the choice-driven gameplay would be incredible alluring. We didn't expect to find Lee Everett, convicted killer, to be interesting, complex and relatable. And we didn't expect to care for Clementine more than we had ever cared for a video game character.

Telltale's The Walking Dead is a triumphant leap forward for storytelling. Not just video game storytelling, mind you--all storytelling. The Walking Dead is a game that should inspire the industry, proving just how well the medium can be used to craft a compelling narrative even when it leaves big action behind. Though games like Journey, Dishonored, XCOM, and Halo impressed us in 2012, none were as powerful as Lee and Clementine's relatable tale of survival.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:50:32 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Holy crap...another win for The Walking Dead!? I must really be missing out on something special...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:53:35 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Yeah, it seems that I am as well. Is there a demo for this thig?

Anyway, it seems I am seriously out of the mainstream and I don't really care abuot most of those games. Journey I haven't played but want to, same with Max Payne, and H3 I would but no longer can. The rest are complete passes or bargain bin only.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:54:42 AM PST
JWK says:
Yeah, the story is really good. Only played a little bit of one of the episodes, but now that we have the full physical release, I'm going to sit down and finish everything. I really want to try Hitman Absolution, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:54:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:56:52 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
I know. I feel so bad for waiting on the Steam sale for it.

...okay, not really...

@D_Strasse
Yeah, I've played the demo for it. You can also play the first episode for free on iOS today and on 360 from Dec. 25 - 31. Not sure about PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:55:30 AM PST
JWK says:
Max Payne 3 is excellent. Highly recommended.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:57:08 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
If you have an iPad 2 or later you can play the first episode for free then pick up episodes 2-5 for $15.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:57:12 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Sweet, it's sitting on the shelf just waiting to get the go ahead.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:59:21 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Oh, and I think Destructoid and Wired gave The Walking Dead their GOTY awards, too.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:00:17 AM PST
JJ4prez says:
I bought mine for like 7 bucks on Steam. Need to play The Walking Dead asap it seems.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:01:53 AM PST
Kirksplosion says:
What'd you buy for $7?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:43:16 AM PST
JWK says:
$15 for all 5? Man, I've gone some decision making to do. On the one hand, it's $15 off and I think adventure games are perfect for the iPad. On the other hand, I don't have much memory to spare on my iPad, I have plenty of room on my 360, and I like physical media.

Decisions.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions