Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

New Crysis 3 Game Play

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:59:58 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:00:42 PM PST
MoultonHawk says:
Trust me it's close to impossible unless you have a monk's patience to stealth all the way thru.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:13:16 PM PST
Yea I wondered how it made it past play testing as well. Plus the campaign in my opinion wasn't good enough to warrant going back through on a harder difficulty.

I honestly feel like we're taking steps backwards between the two and it feels like Crysis 2 should have released first and then Crysis would be the game that expands upon the basic groundwork laid in 2. The suit feels more expanded upon in Crysis 1, enemy AI is better, the ceph is actually a challenge to deal with in their normal form instead of just throwing brutes (which were a breeze to kill) at you, and even the standard enemy soldiers had more challenge to them because the bigger areas meant they had more ways to approach you, could bring in vehicles (jeeps, tanks, helicopters, assault vehicles, and more) while Crysis 2 just had those cell trucks around in a few sections.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:03:48 PM PST
new Tron says:
Yeah, Crysis 2 had some of the worst AI I've ever seen. I have no idea how it made it past the testing phase.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:01:51 PM PST
Yea I play games to have fun so typically I'm going through on normal my first go through and during that time I saw the AI constantly get hung up on walls, hide behind cover while throwing a grenade against the cover they are hiding behind then letting it blow up at their feet, I saw friendly AI hide out in the open after relocating from an area they had good cover, often I'd get the enemies caught in a death loop (shoot them once and they fall down only to stand right back up to get shot again so they fall right back down, same animation over and over and over until they die) and again I mention the pointless changes to the ceph so Crytek didn't have to program in another type of AI because clearly they couldn't program a decent AI normally.

I'm really wondering what happened to the challenge from Crysis to Crysis 2 because what I played in Crysis 2 didn't come close to measuring up to what I payed in the original in terms of AI, enemy design, and overall challenge.

I shouldn't have to crank a game up to the highest difficulty setting in order to see the AI not make mistakes I wouldn't even except to see in Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 5:31:23 PM PST
MoultonHawk says:
Nerf: I would have to disagree with you on the AI, the game is nearly impossible on supersoldier unless u are perfect on your steath.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 11:07:22 AM PST
Mel says:
of course, it's PC

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:02:58 AM PST
Uncharted 3 and Halo 4 just got their asses handed to them in the graphics department.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:55:44 AM PST
I didn't like how strength mode automatically activated in Crysis 2 though because often in the heat of battle I don't want to hold down a button for a second or two longer to get the desired effect. A few times the game would misread what I was wanting it to do so instead of power kicking the car into someone I'd just hit it normally doing absolutely nothing. In the original on the PC you knew what mode you were in and each mode brought certain advantages and disadvantages to the table.

At one point I was on the second floor of a building getting stormed from all sides by Korean forces and it was one of the most intense moments I've ever had in a game. I was switching modes constantly trying to keep ahead of the enemy as they poured in after me. One moment I was using speed to sprint down the hall to meet the assault team breaching that end only to switch to power mode because my clip was empty knocking people through walls before activating armor mode as a tank blasts the first floor out from under me then moving into stealth to slip out of the rumble and finally going back to speed to rush the tank.

With Crysis 2's controls and the console controls in general that setup was just impossible and numerous times I tried using the suit functions together in Crysis 2 but never got those same satisfying results.

Crysis needed a stronger campaign I agree but I preferred the open environments which promoted creative thinking which is something I felt the second game sorely lacked. When I died in Crysis I would learn from my mistakes, try a new approach, and generally it wasn't a frustrating experience because I had died due to my own mistakes. In Crysis 2 death typically meant I was going to kill my way down the same street, taking things in the same order, and usually my death was a result of something cheap in the game and not my making a mistake. Example would be fighting the walking tank in Times Square. The stupid thing can send out a shock wave which hits you no matter where you are completely draining your energy while ceph forces constantly spawn in two at a time so you basically are stuck taking a few shots at the tank then waiting to recharge your armor so you can pop off a few more shots. The whole thing was long and drawn out for no reason at all other than the game being cheap.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:32:03 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
They are pretty different, the first one is more open and you have a bit more freedom on how to tackle the various fights/objectives.

I still preferred the tighter campaign and better story in the second myself though.

Both games rule.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:30:34 AM PST
Meth Panther says:
I enjoyed Crysis 2 but didn't really see what the big deal was. Is the first one way better?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:30:22 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
The speed sounds cool but I never really tried any of that in the original game on PSN.

All that stuff you mentioned for strength mode could be done on consoles, it was automatic, you had to hold the button down to use it, and it drained energy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:27:13 AM PST
And that's one of my main complaints because a huge part of the game play in my opinion is gone with the new setup. To me it felt like the whole setup was a step back from the setting, controls, and even the enemy types. Why in the hell did the Ceph go from flying tentacle monsters that were actually challenging to fight to slightly faster humanoid creatures that shot energy blasts at me instead of bullets and acted just like the Cell Soldiers?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:09:52 AM PST
They had to combine the powers when making the move from K/M to a gamepad to simplify the controls.

I prefer the original way too.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 10:08:36 AM PST
Here's some nice info off the wiki regarding the original suit:

http://crysis.wikia.com/wiki/CryNet_Nanosuit

ModalityEdit
The foremost function of Nanosuits are their ability to dedicate their energy supply to a specific function which ultimately augments and greatly enhances certain properties of the wearer.
The Nanosuit can switch between one of four modes (Arranged in a "radial" manner), all of which are balanced by how quickly they deplete the suit's power reserve. They are as follows:

Armor
Strength
Speed
Cloak
ArmorEdit
Armor mode diverts the limited-capacity regenerative energy supply of the Nanosuit into absorbing the kinetic energy of incoming projectiles and other damaging forces, such as hazardous levels of heat and radiation, effectively making the user temporarily invulnerable to true physiological damage and thus withstanding impacts which would normally be lethal.
While the Nanosuit is in a constant regenerative-state, Armor mode enables quicker regenerative proficiency, both revitalizing and restoring the users overall physiological system. Note that Armor mode will not increase the rate of energy regeneration, so users wishing to save energy for other modes may not want to use Armor mode as a stray bullet will momentarily cease energy regeneration. However in Armor Mode the user's health will regenerate twice as fast than in any other mode.

In Armor mode, the energy supply of the Nanosuit only depletes in the process of resisting against incoming fire or the effects of other hazards to biological life that face the player. When not under any external threat, the energy reserves of the suit will eventually regenerate to 100%.

Armor mode is commonly used in the absence of the need to use any other mode, as the protection it provides can be the difference between life and death when faced with unexpected threats.

StrengthEdit
In Strength Mode, the CryFibril tightens and injects a cocktail of performance-enhancing narcotics that are readily absorbed into the blood stream through the wearers skin. This causes the wearer to exhibit super-human strength as long as the mode is active. The suit glows bright red, melee attacks (Punches, grabs, throwing, and tackling) inflict extreme lethal damage. This also boosts jumping capabilities, as the wearer becomes able to perform a "high-jump," effectively tripling his/her jump height allowing them to reach extreme heights. Recoil is reduced for all weapons and the user will suffer almost no damage from falling from heights in this mode, even more so than Armor mode.
SpeedEdit
In Speed Mode, the wearer inhales oxygen in larger quantities. This is accomplished through an injection of nano-bots, which enter his/her bloodstream and hyper-accelerate the bloodflow throughout the body, stimulating abnormally heightened reflexes by supplying more oxygen to the brain, as well as muscle tissue. The power of the suit's "hydro-thrusters" is also increased while in Speed Mode, and thus the user will still move at an increased rate even while underwater or in zero-gravity environments.
The "sprint" function of Speed mode allows the entire energy reserve of the Nanosuit to be diverted into a short but extremely fast super-human sprint, in other words allowing the user to make quicker motion and perform dashes of speed incredibly fast, much faster than the human brain or Alien sensors could ever process (this explains the delayed reaction of North Korean soldiers and all alien infantry units). Jumping as the last reserves of energy drain will increase the effectiveness of the sprint allowing for a Nanosuit user to move close to any enemy or move away from danger in less time.

The increased dexterity of Speed Mode also allows the user to prepare heavy weapons and (Depending on the firearm) reload at an increased speed.

Since the user can perform melee attacks faster when in Speed Mode, the damage rendered from melee attacks in a given time period ultimately increases. However, Strength Mode is advised for single, powerful melee attacks.

When in Speed mode, only the "sprint" function and melee attacks deplete the energy reserves of the Nanosuit. As long as the user is not sprinting, suit energy reserves will ultimately reach 100%.

It is advisable to use Speed Mode and its associated "sprint" function when attempting long jumps or when ascending steep slopes that are impossible to scale with Strength Mode. Strength Mode is more appropriate for vertical jumps. The user can also switch to Strength Mode while sprinting and immediately jump for an even longer distance, since there is a very short period of time in which the two modes can be combined.

CloakEdit
When Cloak is activated, the Nanosuit alters its outer surface through the use of a crystalline generation, capable of fully absorbing or bending incoming wave spectrums such as visible light, microwaves (radar), and radiowaves to render itself completely invisible to the human eye and most surveillance equipment. During this time, the wearer is enveloped within a clear "shimmer" as light is bent around the wearer causing invisibility. There is, however, a slight distortion which can be noticed by the human eye (Particularly when the suit is in motion). The system can be compromised by the use of a gun-mounted flashlight, making excessive noise by running or jumping, making direct physical contact with enemies or simply by the wearer making his/her presence completely obvious. Cloak Mode requires a large portion of the suit's energy to function properly. Therefore, time is of the essence while cloak is activated, once the capacitors are depleted, it immediately deactivates and visibly reveals the suit and the wearer. The energy capacitors of the suit are depleted at an even faster rate when Cloak Mode is in use while performing strenuous activities such as walking upright at speed, sprinting, jumping or offensive motions such as melee or using a weapon. Crouching or laying prone will cause the capacitors to drain at a slower pace. Attacking an enemy via melee or by firing a weapon will completely drain the capacitors while in Cloak Mode, and therefore it is advised that proper planning be carried out before intiating any sort of assault.
Interestingly, the suit's cloak renders the weapon the user is wielding invisible as well, by simply bending the light around the weapon.

Additionally, this mode also increases the users speed slightly, but not on a scale as Maximum Speed does. This in effect makes it more effective for the user to sneak up behind enemies and perform assassinations, or to simply avoid conflict all together by avoiding detection by hostiles.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:05:24 AM PST
Sort of like Captain described however they played a bigger role in changing up game play. For example in Crysis 2 power mode is activated when you jump or do a power kick but you can't just be in power mode. In the original I could be in power mode whenever I wanted so if I used a melee attack on an enemy they were sent flying or grabbing someone to choke them out while using their body as a shield before hurling the corpse at a group. Stuff like that was lost when power mode became an automatic feature.

Speed was awesome because it drastically increased your average movement speed without draining your energy and then when you sprinted you were doing like 45 mph just closing massive gaps between you and the enemy. A few times I ran to catch up with trucks and stuff like that, something I couldn't do in Crysis 2. Also when my suit ran out of energy I still had a normal sprint function.

Another thing you could do is combo abilities together. Enter speed mode to take off like a bat out of hell then leap into the air with power mode while switching into cloak once your airborne clearing the massive fence to land behind enemy lines and they have no idea you're there. I just didn't get that same sense of flow with the abilities in the Crysis 2 and everything felt dumbed down about the nanosuit instead of feeling more stream lined like Crytek wanted. Old tactics I used in Crysis became impossible in Crysis 2 because of the changes yet this is the same Prophet that was the team leader in Crysis wearing the same suit my character had yet for some reason it functions completely different? Did I miss the part where Prophet got a new suit with less functions?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:04:32 AM PST
new Tron says:
Crysis is my favorite series of first person shooters from this generation. They have a story, but I couldn't tell you WTF it's about. Something about aliens. For me, its all about the gameplay, which is absolutely top notch.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 10:02:20 AM PST
It was less of a button press and more of a skill template change. The consoles simplified it all, giving you "strength" mode automatically when you melee'd, or "speed" when you would sprint.

Armor mode had to be enabled in the PC version.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:57:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 9:58:25 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
So like exactly the same as on the consoles, but requiring more button presses?

edit: Though I only think you could kick cars, not pick them up, that would've been cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:52:31 AM PST
You would change which upgrade was on your suit and that would give you various abilities. Swapping to a strength suit let you pick up cars and jump higher, while switching to speed allowed you to move fast.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 9:50:43 AM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
How did power mode and speed mode work in the original?

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:49:06 AM PST
After Crysis 2 I'm not looking to jump back into this any time soon, especially with Crytek saying they want to move the franchise into Free to Play territory after this because they are done with Prophet's story so apparently there's nothing interesting to visit in the Crysis universe outside of multiplayer.

Maybe this time the game will have serviceable AI instead of the brain dead enemies and allies Crysis 2 had. I would say I'm hoping they'll bring the suit back to its former glory but given the limited input of the console controller I'm doubting we'll see power mode and speed mode back to their former functions. Glad at least they had enough foresight to give you the ability to sprint even if your suit is out of power.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:19:47 AM PST
MoultonHawk says:
COD 3 is a must on PC if you have that option that's where they came from they just converted to plats with thier last release. Unfortunatly I'd have to upgrade so I'll be getting it on PS3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 6:22:32 AM PST
Mel says:
looks like crysis 2.1

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:06:19 AM PST
PC or console? Usually its the Field of View that does this to people. If you increase the FOV to somewhere around 90 or so, you usually fix the "seasick" feeling from FPS games. It happens to a lot of people.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 5:01:31 AM PST
waxc3 says:
well the alien ship parts of crysis1 wasnt fun at all for me. everything before and after was very very good though.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions