Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Jim Sterling Rant: "Fueled by Mountain Dew"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 69 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:25:57 AM PST
Carlito says:
"Hi, I'm Jim Sterling and I hate Capitalism".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:46:08 AM PST
Nicos says:
"But when Nathan Drake wants you to eat Subway, or you see Master Chief on a bottle of Mountain Dew, they don't quite go together. It detracts them from their established identities. "

Along the same lines as this, back when Anarchy Online went free to play, they incorporated in-game ads. For those not in the know, Anarchy Online was a Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk MMO set in the future on an alien planet. So you get off the spaceship and enter the starting area and the first thing you are greeted with is a futuristic billboard displaying an ad for... Subway sandwhiches (or Garnier Fructis, or a Ford Automobile, etc). Kinda... breaks the whole immersion factor you know? I actually made a character called target_demographic and just used it to ask people where I could buy a Subway sandwhich in-game. What boosts to my stats does shampooing with Garnier Fructis give? etc. They ip banned me :/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:51:32 AM PDT
Just the price drops in general, the fact that people were picking up the same thing I bought for $30 just sucked.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:51:16 AM PDT
DVvM says:
I'm not sure if the Lego games are really blatant marketing. The lego-ness of those games contributes a lot of the appeal, from where I sit. It's not like having the Noid or the 7-Up Spot as the protagonist really contributes much to your platformer that having a ninja or some cartoon animal wouldn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:50:57 AM PDT
Haha, I was kidding, you know. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:50:21 AM PDT
Do you mean you got burned due to price drops or sales?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:49:16 AM PDT
That's a good way of explaining it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:30:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:38 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 10:19:25 AM PDT
DVvM says:
It's funny how many people fondly remember gratuitous marketing tie-ins of the past (Cool Spot, Sneak King, etc.) but there's just something distasteful about "King of the Hill 7-11 Mountain Dew Doritos Halo" (some of those words are in the title.)

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 10:17:07 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:38 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:46:24 AM PDT
I still need to get it, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:42:35 AM PDT
Actually I only bought Skyrim, Zelda, and Star Wars while I was there, two of which I got burned horribly on lol. The others I picked up like Killzone 3, Bioshock 2, and such we're all dirt cheap, like under $20.

Skyrim and Old Republic taught me a really hard lesson about buying special editions... Though I've been watching Guild Wars 2 like a hawk and both Gamestop and Amazon have had them in stock since release so I'm hoping those bad boys will come falling down just in time for the holidays.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:41:38 AM PDT
DVvM says:
I don't think "I've never played/finished [game]/[an instance in a series]" can ever make one a "bad gamer."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:40:18 AM PDT
I have never finished a Zelda game. Am I a bad gamer?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:36:51 AM PDT
DVvM says:
No, I picked it up in the summer when there was a Best Buy coupon.

I didn't buy it at Launch since I knew there was no way I would play it right away (Zelda games take me FFE to finish.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:36:46 AM PDT
Yeah, yeah. Sure must be easy to pre-order $150 CE's of games when you're not spending money on anything else and not paying taxes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:35:46 AM PDT
Have you had it since launch? We pre-ordered to get the golden Wiimote, which we needed anyway because it has MotionPlus.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:25:11 AM PDT
I've got the special edition still in the shrink wrap, well the game itself I've used the Wiimote already lol. In fact I still have a few games that I picked up while deployed that I still haven't opened.

Curse this PC.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 9:24:31 AM PDT
B. Hoover says:
I remember the 7-up game. That was a sweet game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:20:50 AM PDT
DVvM says:
I need to start it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:14:05 AM PDT
It's been nearly a year, and I still need to beat Skyward Sword.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:12:00 AM PDT
The Wii here usually only comes on if we're playing Dokapon Kingdom or my roommate's girl is over and they are playing New Super Mario Bros. or something lol.

I still need to get on Skyward Sword though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:05:06 AM PDT
Heh, I played that a few years ago when it came on the disc in an issue of PC Gamer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:03:36 AM PDT
I'm almost always on the Wii playing VC games like Ninja Gaiden or MegaMan 2

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 9:03:18 AM PDT
"bullfeldegarb"

Pretty sure that's not from BSG. In fact, the ONLY search item listed on Google for that term points to this very thread.

But yeah, great article.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  69
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions