Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

So, I tried to play Dead Space....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 73 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2013 11:55:25 AM PST
I was only about 5 minutes into it when some... thing tried to jump into an elevator with me. Then I got this little plasma shooty thingy that I can't hit the broad side of a barn with. After blowing through most of my ammo I found a save spot and promptly called it a day.

There any way to change FoV in the PC version? It's too zoomed in for me and started to make me get motion sickness.

If I can change that, I'll continue playing it. If it's locked, I'm going to have to pass on this one. It just makes me feel sick to my stomach for some reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:57:21 AM PST
JO MOMMA says:
its because you suck at it.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 12:00:38 PM PST
R. J. Gutt says:
Most of the battles are longer ranged. Have to shoot the limbs off. Use the alt mode on the plasma cutter to shoot horizontally and take out the enemy's legs first. Use melee maybe at close range, or back away if you can. Play on easy mode.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:00:47 PM PST
Since there is no HUD in the game, the FoV is probably locked. Everything HUD related is incoporated into your suit (ie. Health bar on your spine).

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 12:04:24 PM PST
LogJam says:
It's probably better for your heart if you stop playing anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:05:00 PM PST
You don't need to be a jerk. The FoV on this game is far too zoomed in to be playable for someone that gets motion sick from it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:05:02 PM PST
Soulshine says:
Do you have Stasis yet? (lets you freeze/slow down enemies)

That and other powers should help a bit. I only made it to the 4th or 5th chapter myself, just because the game stressed me out too much. I'll get back to it one day.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:06:04 PM PST
I just had an issue with the view. It felt like I was playing through a fisheye lens. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:06:42 PM PST
I only made it to the first checkpoint, heh.

I get the same feeling from Skyrim if I don't increase the FoV a bit.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:08:11 PM PST
As it's been said a lot of the game design and HUDless aspects are built around that specific FoV. I think it's a good game that with a bit more practice it might start to click but if it's giving you motion sickness than I don't know a solution for that. Perhaps someone else in the VGF prone to motion sickness from gaming will know a remedy so best of luck.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:08:32 PM PST
I only played it on console though. I dont know how much it differs, if at all. I know you couldnt change it there.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:08:37 PM PST
JO MOMMA says:
idk what your talking about because i dont play if for PC. The 360 versions doesnt zoom that much and if would adjust my analog so that i dont move toooo stupid fast that i get sick.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:10:24 PM PST
Junkiiiii says:
Have you checked widescreengamingforum.com

If it does then this site would definietly tell you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:10:37 PM PST
Was that English? Somebody get a translator please!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:11:33 PM PST
Soulshine says:
I don't know that they'd let you zoom out in Dead Space at all. Some of that might be intentional to keep you from seeing things creeping up on you from behind/sides.

But I hope you can tweak something to help. Did you play around with turn speed or anything?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:13:12 PM PST
JO MOMMA says:
you like that huh.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 12:14:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 12:14:22 PM PST
I found this on the Steam forums:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30640684&postcount=12

Vedz

How to fix FOV!!

Try the utility at https://www.widescreenfixer.org
The game made me feel dizzy with its tiny fov but I used the widescreen fixer program and set it to about 2.0 and now it feels much better.
It is not perfect but it is a huge improvement above the default settings. I can now play for extended periods when before I had to stop after 15 minutes due to nausea.

Before:http://imgur.com/O5mQp
After:http://imgur.com/pBArR

I'll have to try it out and see if it helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:14:55 PM PST
R. J. Gutt says:
sounds good, hope it helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:16:29 PM PST
Why post garbage that I suck at the game when I'm having issues with FoV causing motion sickness?

It's ignorant for you to do so, plain and simple.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:17:57 PM PST
Me too. I want to give the game a shot, but this is the second game I've ever played to give me this issue.

Skyrim with its default FoV and an FXAA process injector nearly made me vomit after about 15 minutes of gameplay until I adjusted it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:19:18 PM PST
JO MOMMA says:
im just saying, maybe you suck at it. dont be mad.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:19:56 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Well...I guess that's one bonus of getting motion sickness - you get to find out what the heck an "FXAA process injector" is.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 12:20:00 PM PST
I understand from a design perspective why they have it so zoomed in, but it's a very odd zoom level for widescreen displays on PC. It just seems like they've got some sort of issue with the flow between the foreground and background when you move.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:21:28 PM PST
Lol, the FXAA process injector removes the Skyrim grey filter and adds more vibrant colors to the textures. It also seems to add much sharper lines to objects, which would violently assault my eyes until I adjusted the view.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 12:22:18 PM PST
Don't worry about him. While you are enjoying your game, he will be touching his My Little Pony in its no no place. He is just jealous is all.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  73
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions