Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Microsoft's next Xbox predicted to dominate next-gen consoles

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2013 9:57:29 AM PDT
N.Cooper says:
Microsoft (MSFT) is the only major vendor that hasn't yet announced any details surrounding its new console, but some industry watchers are already convinced that the new Xbox will dominate the next generation of video game consoles. Among them is Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter, who believes Microsoft is set to win the next console generation - and his reasoning has little to do with video games.

In a South by Southwest presentation covered by Forbes, Pachter said that features like Skype integration and TV service integration will secure the next Xbox's position as the winner of the next-generation console war. The current Xbox 360 features a number of great home entertainment features, but Microsoft's "Xbox 720" is expected to push entertainment to the next level with Kinect 2 integration, DVR features and possibly even set-top box functionality.
Sony's (SNE) PlayStation 4 may improve over time, but the analyst believes Microsoft's early edge will be maintained for the lifetime of this console generation - and that could be quite a long time, as Patcher believes the Wii U, PlayStation 4 and next-gen Xbox could represent the last generation of home video game consoles.

http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-next-xbox-predicted-dominate-next-gen-consoles-142537052.html

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:59:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 9:59:40 AM PDT
"Among them is Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter"

LOL, shocking.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:59:15 AM PDT
Ninja'd by Dougy.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 9:59:59 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
I predict the N-gage 2 will come out of nowhere and blow our minds

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:01:47 AM PDT
Can people not just wait for the actual announcement?

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:03:26 AM PDT
I love how the article seemed like it introduced Patcher as some big business executive whose good at their job....LOL

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:04:20 AM PDT
WeaKeN says:
if i could use the nextbox as a cable box for xfinity, verizon, or whoever, that would be pretty awesome. is it going to have a coax cable input or will it be able to stream live tv?

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:06:04 AM PDT
LiL Bill says:
Lair...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:06:13 AM PDT
But hey, not only would you need to pay for your cable bill, but to use your cable (that's paid for) you need to purchase a 59.99 yearly fee to access it. Now that's business smart!

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:06:56 AM PDT
Oskar2525 says:
Because people love to pay extra to watch Netflix.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:08:47 AM PDT
WeaKeN says:
$60 yearly is better than renting a HD cable box at $10-$20 a month. but if you have to pay for both, that is a pointless feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:09:17 AM PDT
Not nearly as much as people who don't pay extra love to complain about it!

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:09:25 AM PDT
quinten488 says:
Sony has stepped their game up from the PS3 so I definitely think the PS4 will be better. Its all about the games and Microsoft is not focusing on games anymore - one game this year Gears of War Judgement. Plus Sony has good developers on their side already.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:09:58 AM PDT
J. Pardee says:
I still don't see how Skype is going to supposedly push Microsoft so far ahead in the next generation. Tons of other devices already offer Skype support for a lot cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:11:36 AM PDT
WeaKeN says:
i guess it would be convenient if you could talk to someone using skype on PC from your 720, but not a big deal to me.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:14:35 AM PDT
Soulshine says:
Sources say Microsoft's next Xbox is predicted to include a bumbling robot buddy with the capacity for human emotion called Kinept.

It watches you pee and posts pictures to facebook, so you don't have to!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:17:32 AM PDT
J. Pardee says:
I can see it being a nice feature and it would make people use the console to do just that. I just don't see it has a reason to buy the system.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:18:45 AM PDT
MrFoxhound says:
Sony's prediction of domination came out first, so Sony wins by default. MS should just pack it in.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:22:50 AM PDT
Soulshine says:
Pack it up, pack it in, let MS begin, then we'll see who wins, to prejudge is a sin.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:23:21 AM PDT
TCB says:
Don't forget you'll have to buy another $350+ cable box/DVR every year or so when your reliable Xbox hardware kicks the bucket. Plus you'll still have to pay the cable company for the service. But it's okay, I bet Comcast will give you a discount for not using they're box, right.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:25:27 AM PDT
"Microsoft (MSFT) is the only major vendor that hasn't yet announced any details surrounding its new console, but some industry watchers are already convinced that the new Xbox will dominate the next generation of video game consoles."

I think that's the dumbest sentence I've ever read.

"We don't know ANYTHING about it yet, but it's totally going to DOMINATE, you guys." *nerd voice*

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:28:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 10:28:57 AM PDT
JWK says:
"Microsoft (MSFT) is the only major vendor that hasn't yet announced any details surrounding its new console, but some industry watchers are already convinced that the new Xbox will dominate the next generation of video game consoles."

Shouldn't we end the thread with that right there? Who's really going to believe someone who says, "We know next to nothing about the system, Microsoft hasn't revealed anything, but the 720's totally gonna dominate, y'all! I mean.... Kinect 2!!!!"

Edit: ninja'd by Semschy.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:28:35 AM PDT
I'm totally going to dominate my lunch.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:29:42 AM PDT
OrangeCrush says:
Given what we have seen this generation, its not a far stretch at all to say that Xbox will win. Microsoft would have to pull a Sony and totally screw the pooch to lose the momentum it has gained from this generation. And I agree 100% that it wont be games that dictate who wins the next generation as the VAST majority of major releases are now multi platform. The original xbox and PS2 generation was the generation of exclusives. This was the generation of the multi platform game and given the rising cost of making blockbuster games, it is very unlikely that will change anytime soon. In fact, its likely to continue in that direction as long as development cost continue to be prohibitive. Sure, die hard gamers will still buy a console for its exclusives but the majority of the gaming public is mainly interested in the multi platform games. It will be the consoles other capabilities that ultimately decides who wins. This is pretty much common sense at this point.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2013 10:31:56 AM PDT
Not if I dominate it first.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions