Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Guest, Keji, and Capt: I regret to inform you that you all just died in the dungeons of Mount Grimrock.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 123 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 20, 2012 6:16:44 PM PST
This thread is making me want this game right now. It looks like a love child from the original Might and Magic games, Myst, and Demon's Souls.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:17:21 PM PST
I love it. It's from Yahtzee's The Witcher review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:19:42 PM PST
Ah, someone who has played!

So is there a place to sell gear? Or should I drop it when I am done?

Also, who goes through lighting all the torches in the largely abandoned mountain fortress?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:20:54 PM PST
No, there isn't a place to sell.

Someone who wanted to create puzzles based on lit torches, that's who...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:21:25 PM PST
It definitely has that Demon's Soul's trial and error feel to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:22:02 PM PST
Okay, thanks. My inventory was getting full.

Also, leveling is REALLY slow!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:23:22 PM PST
Yeah I bought the game on release! Stupid level puzzles get freaking hard!

No, there are no shops, most gear is fine to be dropped when its not useful anymore. Also, dont be afraid to jump in pits, sometimes there are some pretty nice rewards down there. So far none of the pit falls will actually kill you, but they will damage your party so dont do it if someone is low on health.

Also, be prepared you won't solve all the "special" puzzles. And yes, I actually usually play the game with a "torch character" whose sole responsibility is to hold tons and tons of torches.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:25:16 PM PST
Also much like the Souls games, its normally not a good idea to be a "jack of all trades" character. You can a bit, but for most characters it a lot more beneficial to pick one skill tree to go down. You can become super OP if you go with a mage with invisibility and a rogue with the backstab stuff.

Also you dont actually need to find the recipes to use the spells, so if you already know a few, as long as you have the skill to use it, you can still cast it even if you never found the scroll.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:26:55 PM PST
Wait, the spells are done by keyboard input or something? How can you otherwise cast a spell that you haven't learned yet in-game?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:32:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 6:33:32 PM PST
The spells are basically a grid of different symbols, different combos cast different spells. Those combos NEVER change. So say you level up and gain access to a new ice spell, however have never found the actual scroll for it, as long as you know the combo to that spell, you can still cast it.

The only caveat is that you only gain certain spells depending on how you level your character. So you cant start off the game casting the top level magic, you have to level up to gain access to the spells.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:35:34 PM PST
Ah, okay, thanks!

I put points into swords on my main character and it took me over an hour to even find a sword!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:36:46 PM PST
Never would've guessed that some pits have stuff in them.

My mage carries a ton of torches.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:38:31 PM PST
So, kinda like http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/11/14 but with torches instead?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:39:02 PM PST
Haha yeah its kind of a waiting game. The game is pretty good at not totally gimping you, but you will generally have one character who wrecks face, another who really needs a new weapon, and that role will switch as you find more stuff. Makes it kind of fun with your fighters since you never really have just one really good character who kills everything while everyone else just stands and watches.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:41:20 PM PST
And yes every pit almost has something. I think the early ones have just like a piece of food, but some of the later ones have actual puzzles that if you solve can give you some nice gear. Be warned though they also have enemies, so sometimes you take the fall damage to have a dude smacking you in the face right away.

And the puzzles can get brutal I had to look up guides on a few of them just because I couldnt figure them out. How far have you gotten so far?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:41:39 PM PST
Haha, yep. Except you definitely need torches.

If I could an ever-burning torch, that would be awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:42:08 PM PST
I just got to floor 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:45:27 PM PST
Ahh ok yeah they get harder. There was one (forget the floor) where you had to solve 4 different area type puzzles that just had me stumped as heck. I had like 2 done easy and the other 2 drove me crazy till I finally had to look up the solution lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:19:31 PM PST
Are any of the puzzles timed? I hate timed puzzles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:20:39 PM PST
One that I know of, but it's not required for progression.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:28:39 PM PST
Yeah like Capt said I dont think any main ones are. Each level usually has a few puzzles to progress and usually one "vault" puzzle. The vault puzzles are totally optional but all contain pretty good gear if you can figure them out. They also are generally MUCH tougher puzzles though as well.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:32:42 PM PST
Man I really want to check this out right now *checks bank account* damn it...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:36:49 AM PST
It's only $7.50 on Steam right now ;) Though you honestly probably could wait, I'm sure it'll get a 75% discount by the end of the sale.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:02:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 5:07:14 AM PST
I downloaded and installed it yesterday....I only intended on running it once to install any updates/fix the resolution settings but ended up putting an hour and a half into it.

Really like it so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 5:05:07 AM PST
Actually, if you want to give to the Humble Bundle right now and pay over the average, you can get this game. I was anticipating getting it myself, but I'm not going to be able to.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  123
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions