Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Randy Pitchford refuses to answer for Aliens: Colonial Marines

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 152 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:11:21 AM PST
Sadly, Fuse is what they're working on. Their North Carolina (?) studio worked on the two bad R&C games. It's a shame Insomniac has done away with their good stuff to focus on a game that looks more focused on a shooter that puts the player in arena looking areas scattered with cover objects to shoot at waves of enemies ad nauseam.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:12:49 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
" I don't want the game to direct what I'm focused on the entire time."

Wow...you want some cheese with that entitlement whine? A fixed camera is no issue at all unless it's broken, which in this case it's not. It's a linear Ratchet & Clank game made for co-op, similar to the old Gauntlet games. It's not an open-world epic that requires full camera control.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:14:27 AM PST
It's a bad game with a bad camera. Not sure why you'd get defensive over this since it's widely regarded as such. If you like fixed cameras, good for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:15:31 AM PST
Benpachi says:
Yeah, I don't like what I've seen for Fuse at all. I'm almost certain it will flop too.

I just hope they come with a real R&C game for PS4, that would make me buy one for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:15:52 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I don't see how more player choices is a bad thing.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:16:15 AM PST
Joel H. says:
This game really isn't that bad.. plays like a poor man's borderlands. Sort of RE: ORC meets dead space. I also rented it. Mp is ok.. my skills as xenomorph.. not so much.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:16:15 AM PST
Anthony says:
sounds like Pitchford's taking PR advice from Paul Christoforo.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:18:46 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
It's not a bad thing. But All 4 One is also not that kind of game, nor was it ever trying to be. Criticizing a game because it's truly bad is one thing, but it's another thing to criticize a game for not being the type of game you expected.

And yeah, it's not a great game, but neither is it a bad game. I'm just saying that "I don't want a game to tell me what to look at" is a pretty stupid reason to call a game bad, especially when its camera mechanic works really well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:20:12 AM PST
I think Fuse looks better than it did when thy first revealed it, but it looks very stale from a pure level design and enemy encounters perspective. I haven't seen any variation whatsoever. You're put in a large arena-style environment with cover, you then shoot every enemy until they're all dead, rinse and repeat. I haven't seen any good set piece moments, any variety to how you approach battles, etc.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:22:00 AM PST
cab0218 says:
After how he is acting I will never buy another Gearbox game. I will not support a company when they cannot own up to their mistakes.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:22:24 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I'm just gonna wait and see with Fuse. I thought it looked whimsical and fun when it was called Overstrike, but I'm not feeling the new more serious vibe. And yeah, it looks devoid of content so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:24:11 AM PST
You build a brand known for something and then change it to something it's not. Not only that, but you make it short and bad in the process.

R&C is known for platforming and good level design to take advantage of it. A4O didn't have that.
R&C is known for the way it plays, which was darn near perfection, then you change the camera, fundamentally changing the way it plays in the process.

How can you excuse something for changing into something it's not? Why trash your fans for a game that not only was bad but didn't grow the base one iota?

Also, fixed cameras are bad. :) Bad, bad, bad.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:25:16 AM PST
Since the launch of Aliens: Colonial Marines, developer Gearbox has come under a great deal of fire for the quality of the final release, especially given how different the game now appears from the early "demo" videos spread so widely online. Now, perhaps in an attempt to clear the air, Gearbox President Randy Pitchford is addressing concerns via his personal Twitter account, but it appears his responses are generating more heat than they are dissipating.

"As a glass-half-full kind of guy, so I only want positive feelings with my personal twitter. Thanks for understanding!" Pitchford wrote, just before responding to a number of Twitter users, and apparently blocking others as well.

One of Pitchford's more vocal critics has been Destructoid's Reviews Editor and Escapist contributor Jim Sterling, who has helped draw attention to the stark contrast between early Colonial Marines footage and the game that ended up being released for $60.

"You [sic] entire purpose seems angled towards vilification and injury. I am flattered, but ain't nobody got time for dat," Pitchford Tweeted directly at Sterling, following with "Also - you know how to reach me if you want to ask questions. It appears you would rather show boat publicly for attention."

Of course, it seems somewhat silly of the videogame community not to publicly address issues with the game now that it's available for purchase. I'm not sure what good privately addressing the game's very obvious flaws will do to help consumers, but that appears to be the road Pitchford would rather take.

The Gearbox boss also claims that the company is "looking at" why Colonial Marines ended up as it did, noting that he needs to be "very carful at the moment" regarding what he says about the title.

Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122218-Gearbox-President-I-Have-Always-Profited-From-Criticism

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:28:37 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
"How can you excuse something for changing into something it's not?"

All 4 One (and Full Frontal Assault) were never intended to replace the original platformer series. They were a new idea...kind of like a spinoff. No one criticized Nintendo for moving away from Super Mario Bros. to create Mario Kart, for example. It's the same kind of thing. I don't think the Ratchet franchise has been killed off, so we'll probably see a "proper" R&C game on Vita or PS4 before long.

And level design on All 4 One is pretty good given the gameplay it has.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:31:10 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
I'll take a good fixed camera over a bad free camera any day.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:31:33 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I think that Pitchford is forgetting that Sterling is still a gamer.

Also, I'm pretty sure I know why Aliens ended up the way it did.

Sega: "Look, Randy, we want you to take over Aliens. TimeGate sucks."

Randy: "Ok, but I really don't want to put any money into it."

Sega: "Great! Neither do we. Just make an FMV to show off to the press and secure first day sales. We'll set up a review embargo, and we'll be all set."

Randy: "Yeah, great, thanks. Here's a copy of Borderlands 2."

Sega: "Uh.... Thanks."

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:33:20 AM PST
GyozaSauce says:
"he needs to be "very carful at the moment" regarding what he says about the title."

cause what he says can be used in a court of law when Sega sues Gearbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:33:57 AM PST
These "small experiments" did pretty much replace it. These are two poorly selling, poorly received games that could've been ditched in favor of making some real R&C games. Sadly, they were not.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:34:30 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I was wondering about that myself. I think that Sega will sue Gearbox claiming bait and switch from the videos they were shown, and Gearbox maybe counter-suing blaming Sega for lack of funding and brand tarnishment.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:34:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 11:35:00 AM PST
There is no thing as a "good fixed camera." It's bad game design that only a few developers haven't learned from.

Also, hilarious Colonial Marines video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YX0lbXQgQ8w

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:40:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 11:48:10 AM PST
That Emu Kid says:
The point of a camera is to show the player what he needs to see. A fixed/directed camera can aid the player in certain situations and lends itself well to genres like beat 'em ups and sports games. A free camera is nice for allowing players to admire and explore their surroundings, but if exploration isn't one of the goals of the game, making the camera free doesn't serve much purpose. Free cameras can be extremely troublesome and potentially game ruining if they don't behave intelligently when interacting with level geometry.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:46:15 AM PST
Soulshine says:
i want camera freedom in my linear game for no good reason!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:46:15 AM PST
YES. THIS. The stupid camera in Lollipop Chainsaw is driving me crazy! It switches from a fixed perspective and a free camera without telling me and it's just a mess! I would be totally fine with a fixed camera in any game if it works!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:47:29 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
The God of War games have amazing fixed cameras. Being able to control it would actually make the game worse.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:48:31 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Epic Mickey has a terrible free camera too.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
GameStop bundling the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii for $160 1 3 minutes ago
Destiny VGF Clan v6.0 4643 19 minutes ago
Overwatch discussion thread 1695 20 minutes ago
OT: Favorite War Movies? 58 48 minutes ago
Weekly Gaming and Weekend Review 6/27 - 7/1 149 1 hour ago
Bioshock Collection Incoming 119 1 hour ago
OT: looks like whoever closed out the main OT got banned spamming it to death so I guess this is the new main OT 3609 1 hour ago
Dad Admits Killing 6-Year-Old Son While Playing Videogames 3 1 hour ago
Save $15 On Tons of Gaming Gift Cards 19 1 hour ago
PS VR Preorder Stock Sells Like Hot Cakes, Whole Stock Sell Out In Minutes 9 1 hour ago
Twitch Launches New "Social Eating" Category, Someone Promptly Eats Cat Vomit 6 2 hours ago
Death's Gambit: Castlevania + Dark Souls + Shadow of the Colossus 0 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  152
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions