Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Randy Pitchford refuses to answer for Aliens: Colonial Marines

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 152 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:03:20 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
No way. I would love to look around in those amazing set pieces that they do. I think at the very least they could do a toggle or a debug mode where you get a floating camera that you can maneuver anywhere inside an environment as like an extra in the game, not during gameplay. They put in dynamic camera angles, and I'm not saying to get rid of the fixed camera, but they spend so much time on those amazing looking environments that it's a shame that you have to move Kratos into awkward positions just to get a good look at them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:06:40 PM PST
Finger says:
I've been pretty surprised about how this whole thing has come down. You've been in on it for longer than anyone else here, I think. Honestly, what's your take on all this?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:21:40 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Gameplay > graphics

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:22:32 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I don't think anyone is making that argument in this thread.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:29:39 PM PST
Kruger says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:32:32 PM PST
pyroguy says:
looks like the guys at Rebellion have been vindicated

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:34:16 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
That's the thing, Jim. Based on all the pre-release buzz, screenshots (which turned out to be fake) and a stunning demo (which didn't represent the game at all), it was primed to be a fantastic game. So even if you did research, you still would've been duped.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:35:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 12:35:53 PM PST
GyozaSauce says:
Typically yeah, but the problem with that is the actual game was different from the demo they released...and there was a review embargo.

Edit: GarionOrb'ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:37:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 12:37:59 PM PST
DVvM says:
I think fixed camera can be appropriate in some situations, depending on what you're trying to cultivate. I mean, if you're trying to make a horror game, fixed camera can work because "I don't have all of the information that I want to have" contributes to the feeling of helplessness.

This mostly really works in more atmospheric horror games, it's generally inappropriate for action.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:52:57 PM PST
That Emu Kid says:
Do you consider games that don't relegate camera control to the player as fixed even if the camera moves with the action? Or do you consider that to be a separate category?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:56:30 PM PST
DVvM says:
A fixed camera is a camera that doesn't move at all.

If the camera moves automatically depending on your motion that would be tracking camera.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:57:08 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
I think they mean fixed as in no player control.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 12:59:49 PM PST
DVvM says:
Oh, because fixed camera means something in particular, and it can be really effective (look at say, Resident Evil 2, which generates more legitimate tensions in its corridor scenes than RE5 and RE6 combined.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:03:08 PM PST
It's pretty clear to me that this wasn't Gearbox's game, at least the bulk of it wasn't. After beating it and having some time to sit back on my thoughts I get the same vibe I got when I played through Duke Nukem Forever; it's unpolished and is in pretty rough shape overall. It's night and day when you look at the work Gearbox themselves have done.

I'm disappointed in how this is being handled as well. While I'm not crying foul like people are (most of which I think have very little reason to be crying foul considering they have put zero hands on time with the game) I'm still disappointed in the final product and Gearbox's response to this. Having met some of the guys from Gearbox and seen how open they've been with their community in the past in terms of Borderlands 1 and 2 it's quite alarming to see them not really address the problem openly or at least come out and say "We screwed up but we're gonna do right by our customers."

Console owners have been screwed based on what I've seen in gameplay videos and the fact that they can't mod their game to fix some of these issues. It's pretty clear this is either running on dated coding or Gearbox/Time Gate never bothered to implement features like DX11 into the game. When going through the game's files you can find a list of supported video cards and the newest card supported dates back to 2007. Thankfully on the PC version you can work around this and I've seen some drastic improvements in terms of effects, lighting, and overall atmosphere to the game. I haven't dug into modding my copy yet because I'm waiting on others to fine tune everything so I can get the best possible experience.

It's also quite clear two different studios built the demo and the final product. My guess is Gearbox built the demos we've seen and either didn't care that Time Gate didn't meet that target or Time Gate didn't have the experience to meet that target. Going over the demos and comparing it to what I played the game is quite dated in terms of the tech on display. None of it is impressive.

Now I still maintain that it is a fun game but you have to look past certain flaws to enjoy it. There are sections in there where you can see what this one could have been but most of it is your standard FPS affair; go to point A and get object X, head to point B and press the button, take on subpar mini boss with little thought put into it, and so on. It just never feels like they wanted to do much with the title outside of a few areas where the game definitely got my blood pumping. When you lose all your equipment and you're fleeing this monster Xenomorph by cutting through doors, welding them behind you before turning your attention to the next one as it starts busting through, racing to crawl into a air duct before it catches you, that section was awesome.

I'm mainly wanting Gearbox to come out and address the problem, own up to the mistakes made, and come up with a way to either fix them or do right by the community be it offering up the DLC for free, refunds, free game, or whatever. It's clear the product that was promised was not the product that was delivered and something needs to be done about this.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:05:36 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
I have high hopes they're fixing the Wii U version...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:09:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 1:10:05 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Before March 31st? Sega confirmed that Aliens is still a Wii U Launch Window game. Kotaku was wrong when they reported that it was indefinitely postponed.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:09:45 PM PST
I'm not counting on the Wii-U version happening after this especially since it isn't being developed at Gearbox. My guess is we'll see that be canceled and Gearbox is going to take over the DLC which will be rather extensive bringing in the elements they originally showcased. The first pack due next month will probably (I'm hoping) be the only multiplayer focused one with the rest being all about single player and making the game better with some additional multiplayer maps tossed in for good measure.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:10:53 PM PST
As someone who had experience before release of the game, what do you feel about the demo hubbub? I've seen the videos and it looks soooooo much different. Do you feel like you were sort of being bait and switched with what you saw/experienced versus what actually released?

To me thats the most interesting part here. Putting out a bad game is just that, putting out a bad game. But the apparent false advertising that went on, and how big of a difference the "work-in-progress" demo was to the actual final game seems extremely jarring to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:13:04 PM PST
MrFoxhound says:
To be fair, demos usually say "work in progress and that it's not indicative of the final product." We just don't expect the final product to be so much worse than the demo was.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:14:00 PM PST
I don't think there ever was a Wii U version.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:14:50 PM PST
Exactly. That disclaimer is usually a company's way of saying, "Trust us. It will look better than this."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:14:54 PM PST
I don't think the WiiU exists.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 1:14:55 PM PST
Game over, man, game over!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:15:24 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Sega and/or Gearbox stated before that the Wii U version would be really great.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 1:17:38 PM PST
Like the PS3/Xbox 360 versions?
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Video Games forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  152
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions