Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Xmas Wish: For Nintendo to Stop Making Hardware

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 18, 2012 6:24:36 AM PST
Lucanus says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:26:26 AM PST
MrFoxhound says:
Um.... Even with the mediocre 3rd party support, Nintendo still rakes in the money on hardware sales.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:29:14 AM PST
People just jealous - Nintendo is king.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:29:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 6:30:37 AM PST
Ice King says:
That's why they're not even close to considering this. They'd probably need at least two consoles in a row to fail before they even look into it and despite the Wii having almost nothing toward the end it was still a huge success. Plus the DS is still strong and the 3DS is doing very good now.
And it's too early to tell for the Wii U.

But I think it would be great if they did go to just making software.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:30:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 6:30:54 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
"Perhaps Nintendo could experiment with Sony's Vita - I can only imagine what could be done with dual touchscreens or the HD graphics."

Butthurt Sony fanboy alert!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:31:13 AM PST
I saw some Wii U's in stock at Walmart last night. I don't think it's as popular as the Wii.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:31:38 AM PST
And besides which, much of the success with Nintendo's stuff over last gen's console and the last couple of gens of handhelds has been the fact that they can create unique or unusual control schemes that turn out to be pretty fun to play when developed for by the right people. Which would be Nintendo.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:33:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 6:34:17 AM PST
Nintendo hasn't tried pushing power and graphics nearly as much as Sony and Microsoft have done. It would definitely be a cool idea to see their first party games on a PS3/360 or the Vita so they could expand on their games. Unless Nintendo starts tanking with their systems it would never happen though. They have the biggest piece of the pie right now with consoles and I can't imagine they would want to give that up so easily.

Nintendo already had the chance as well with the PS1 and they turned it down.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:35:09 AM PST
"It would definitely be a cool idea to see their first party games on a PS3/360 or the Vita so they could expand on their games"

Now for my next trick I give you: The WiiU and 3DS! Wish granted!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:35:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 6:38:43 AM PST
Lucanus says:
I hear and understand completely the draw people have to seeing Nintendo as third party. It makes sense, given their hardware is always sub par. There is no doubt their consoles always have the fewest amount of games within generation, however they rountinely have the best games every generation. Their hardware allows them to make their games. I for one really liked motion controls, not because I think they are "better" than a standard controller, but because it is nice to have something that is just different. Variety is nice in gaming, which is where I think Nintendo wins me over quite often. I have plenty of standard controlled HD games, I don't need more. I want something different. After playing Gears, Uncharted, Skyrim, Halo, God of War, etc; I just want something that isn't standard control in HD. Don't get me wrong, those are excellent games. Just as ribs are great food, but I can't eat them everyday without getting bored.

Add-on hardware never works, hence why I want Nintendo to stay in the hardware business. I also found his point that Atari, Sega and SNK all changing their way of doing things... aren't all three of those companies pretty much irrelevant today? I think those were horrible examples. I also think the guy is a fruit cake for suggesting Nintendo should consider making games for the Vita.... he clearly hasn't looked at any sales data for hardware and software for the 3DS.

At the end of the day I still get why he thinks Nintendo would be better as third party, I just can't agree. I think Nintendo's software would suffer with a standard console because their unique hardware allows their games to be unique, their software is top notch and doesn't need to change. I am curious to hear what others think. Happy holidays. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 6:42:23 AM PST
Well the 3DS isn't as powerful as the Vita which is a given. The U is only half a generation above the current systems as well.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:58:52 AM PST
While I would love to be able to play first party Nintendo games without buying their consoles, there is no reason for Nintendo to do this. Sad, but true, fact.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:00:18 AM PST
You asked for Nintendo games on a PS3/360, which the WiiU is. The Vita may be more powerful than the 3DS, but it isn't terribly apparent in the games. Resident Evil: Revelations looks as good as anything on the Vita.

So, problem solved. Unless of course it was just another shot at Nintendo.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:03:38 AM PST
How were either of my posts shots at Nintendo? All I said was it would be a pretty apparent fact that Nintendo could possibly push their games further on a more powerful console. I don't think Nintendo should stop making consoles though because they would have to be mental to think that with how powerful they are right now in the gaming market.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:05:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:05:47 AM PST
Lucanus says:
"All I said was it would be a pretty apparent fact that Nintendo could possibly push their games further on a more powerful console."

I would edit that a bit to "Nintendo could push their games graphically" but from a gameplay stand point the ps3/360 offer nothing that Wii and U don't. However the opposite isn't true, the Wii and U both offer somethign that ps3/360 can't do. Sure I know there are add-ons, but add-ons don't work since it limits the user base. Just my thoughts though. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:05:51 AM PST
I didn't say it was a shot, I was saying that unless it was a shot, your requests have already been granted. Don't you think that NSMBU looks amazing in HD? I do.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:08:25 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
Consoles trying to race for the power throne are still doomed to still fall 1 to 2 generations behind current Personal Computer gaming performance at launch. It's always a losing battle, and Nintendo has known this since the Gamecube. At a time when they did make a console way more technically advanced that the current market leader (PS2) they still didn't see any gains from it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:09:07 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
They were very close to this before the Wii though.

Aside from teh Game through DS/3DS era, Nintendo home consoles were on a losing streak post Super NES.

If the Wii U isn't a smash success, more people will again be asking this question.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:10:06 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Let's be honest though, the 3DS isn't near the piece of hardware the Vita is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:11:43 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Nintendo makes "Nintendo" games, and they have a very strong appeal to those that love that kind of game. But to say they make the "best" is to think that what those people like is what everyone likes - not everyone is platformer junkie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:12:42 AM PST
Lyrick_ says:
The DS didn't compete on a hardware level with the PSP, they were roughly the same graphics gap as the N64 -> Dreamcast.

Fortunately this means nothing to the typical consumer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:12:43 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
I don't think anyone really cares as that doesn't affect the quality of the games in any way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:15:08 AM PST
uncledonnie3 says:
Thankfully Nintendo makes a lot more than just platformers.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:16:25 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
That wasn't the point though, the point was "imagine what could be done on it", the response was "well no need to imagine, we've got the 3DS". My response was "that's not an apt comparison".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:17:52 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
Yeah, platformers and Zelda games.

So not everyone is into Zelda games and Platformers. The difference between platformers only and platformers and Zelda games is, you know, huge.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Dec 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions