Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

Star Wars: Episode VII has a writer?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 1:13:54 PM PST
Today brings word that Star Wars: Episode VII may have found its screenwriter.

Vulture claims that Oscar winner Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3, Little Miss Sunshine) "has written a 40- to 50-page treatment for the film and is likely to be at least one of the writers when the Disney/Lucasfilm project begins shooting in 2014." They say Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo are indeed in it.

Furthermore, Vulture hears "Arndt's 40-something page treatment will soon be crossing the desks of top directors, including Brad Bird, Steven Spielberg (Lucasfilm's co-chair, Kathleen Kennedy's former producing partner), and J.J. Abrams. Whether they'd be interested is unknown (Star Wars is a lot of baggage for an established director), but Disney wants to make sure they've at least tried the biggest names."

Arndt also co-wrote the screenplay adaptation of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, which is currently in production.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/08/toy-story-3-screenwriter-may-write-star-wars-episiode-vii?abthid=509c1f6160b1d4a47800021a

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds like things are really starting to take shape over at Disney and so far I'm liking what I'm hearing. Main characters are coming back and thus far Hamill, Fisher, and even Ford are all at least interested in returning to their prior roles. I'm remaining hopeful that we'll see one of these directors pick up the project as well and this thing can really take off. Harrison Ford has a pretty good standing relationship with Spielberg so if he takes up the director's chair that could be a good sign that we'll see Ford back in action.

Thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:17:54 PM PST
M. Stifler says:
I read the name of this thread in a Ron Burgundy questioning voice. Lol.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:17:54 PM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Spielberg would bring the franchise to ruin.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:22:52 PM PST
And now I'm doing it too...

When in Rome.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:28:15 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Yes? Please go on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:31:21 PM PST
"They say Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo are indeed in it."

Sigh, I really don't want that to happen at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:31:43 PM PST
This will be one of the few times that I will agree that Spielberg is not a good choice for this.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:32:54 PM PST
Sometimes you just gotta at yourself in the mirror and say "When in Rome."

@ Mogwai

Why is that?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:33:58 PM PST
Why?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:35:59 PM PST
Oskar2525 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:37:55 PM PST
RJMacReady says:
This is promising. Character/dialogue should be handled better than they were in the trilogy. good to see they are making this a priority.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:40:59 PM PST
Says the guy who liked the Resident Evil films.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:43:59 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Why would you answer a question for someone else when your opinion is clearly in conflict with theirs?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:02:00 PM PST
Oskar2525 says:
Why ask why?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:08:55 PM PST
Harmicky says:
Because I don't know the answer, and because I'd like you to contemplate it yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:54:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 2:54:18 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
Even just as supporting roles? That's what I'm assuming/hoping their involvement will entail.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 3:00:57 PM PST
Have not seen Toy Story 3, but I thought Little Miss Sunshine was fantastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 3:05:18 PM PST
"Who the **** is Steven Spielberg?"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 3:29:44 PM PST
Try bud dry?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 3:37:33 PM PST
I much rather see it go to some new blood and a director who grew up with star wars.What I don't want is it going to the long time friend and coworker of George Lucas. Also he already got his chance to take over an epic sci-fi movie from Stanley Kubrick. The results were OK but he had trouble ending it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:32:33 PM PST
Kirksplosion says:
This has been confirmed now.

http://www.starwars.com/news/michael-arndt-to-write-screenplay-for-star-wars-episode-vii.html

I quite liked the writing in the two screenplays he's penned, so I'm not really worried. With Toy Story specifically, he clearly has the skill to take what others have done and write to that, keeping the same spirit. Should be good stuff.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions