Customer Discussions > Video Games forum

X COM is Awesome

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2012 10:27:09 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I got this through Gamefly and now I want to purchase. Easily one of the best games I have played all year: I have put aside Halo 4 as AssCreed III to play. Of course I am playing on Easy but it is still a challenge, and even though my soldiers have little to no personality I still feel like I let them down when they get greased.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:35:17 PM PST
It is awesome to be sure. I sent it back two days ago (Gamefly also) because I couldnt justify keeping a gamefly membership just to play one game, lol, and let it stay here for more than a month. That being said, I'll definitely buy it as soon as some more DLC drops (which should be soon).

*** SPOILER *** I still dont see how people manage to finish with all their nations. Satellites just dont go up fast enough to keep one or two from leaving, at the very least. I've played on three difficulties, Normal, Classic, Impossible (which seems like it to me, lol). Havent emerged unscathed yet.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:35:29 PM PST
Great game. Top 5 of this year for me. Glad you enjoy it.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:36:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 10:36:58 PM PST
Agreed. It is a really enjoyable turn based tactical game, I wish more were made with the same detail and polish as this one (current-gen-wise). Instead I'm usually stuck playing some oldie PC games for my turn based fix. I definitely think this one stays toe-to-toe with the classics - it's unforgiving, unpredictable, and addictive.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:40:00 PM PST
I agree totally. It's probably my favorite game I've played this year. By the way it's going to be on sale on Black Friday. Walmart is going to have it for $25 and other retailers probably have similar prices.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:44:45 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
BEST NEWS EVER!

Sorry, did not mean to yell. This guy will be getting it.

@ Peter Faden

I did not cancel GF in time, but they gave me a free month, so two free months out of three is not bad. I am going to return the game but I want to play it some more. Seeing as I am going to purchase it I am going to send it back and get Dishonored or something.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:47:25 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:57 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:52:30 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
Oh man, you are missing out. There is plenty of action. Also there are a ton of upgrades and branching choices etc. I did not think I would like it....Then again I used to love turn based games back in the day. This brought back all the fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:55:42 PM PST
Turn based games are kind of a throwback to the 90s because there aren't many made anymore. I loved Civilization and the original XCom so that is probably why I love the current one so much too. Also, they did a very good job of capturing the feel of the original without ruining like other attempts at doing a reboot of classic games.

I can understand if you didn't like it. Everyone has different tastes and that is fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 10:59:58 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 22, 2013 5:32:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 11:04:58 PM PST
You might want to consider getting Supreme Commander if you like RTS games and haven't already played it. I just bought it from here and got that and the expansion by activating it on Steam instead of downloading it here. Just be warned you'll need a good PC to play it.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 1:56:44 AM PST
Ham Salad says:
Absolutely. Possibly the top game for me this year.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:50:26 AM PST
Agreed, incredible game and very well made. Ironman mode definitely gets the heart going, as you debate sending in a soldier that you've spent months building up into a dangerous situation with hopefully good rewards :)

I've always loved turn based strategy, as I like thinking about my moves and considering the various possibilities/outcomes. Risk vs reward, etc. It reminds me a bit of chess, and trying to plan out how you would like things to go while guarding against them not going that way *laugh*

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:09:16 AM PST
Nicos says:
this game is http://i.imgur.com/lEAeY.gif

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:16:09 AM PST
More people need to play X-Com.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:19:40 AM PST
Should I buy it? I've been wanting this one, just not sure if I should buy it for PC or Xbox...I have my new Alienware Laptop...so I kinda want to get it for PC...but Steam requirements suck what with my garbage net connect here...so I think I just answered my question........................................................................................................................I'm making the decision yours Keji. To buy or not to buy? That is the query...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:33:55 AM PST
If you're a fan of turn based strategy games and punishing difficulty then I say go for it. Regardless of what platform you play on you'll be in for a treat. This time around the game does a better job at teaching you the mechanics but you can still dump 15 hours into a game and ultimately lose (just happened to me actually lol). The replayability is incredibly high as well since events happen at random and with perma death on your squad that really shakes things up. You can even play on a mode called Ironman where the game removes the save function and will auto save after every move you make.

In my opinion the next time any studio wants to bring back an older franchise for today's market they should be forced to play through the original X-Com and then this version so they know how it is done right.

Also if you've played the original you'll find a ton to love here. Though some elements removed it all works for the best and makes it a better game overall. The only thing I truly missed from the original was having the alien forces attack my home base.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:38:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 6:40:19 AM PST
Anthony says:
I miss turn based strategy RPGs. only place i can get them anymore is on handhelds.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:42:49 AM PST
And PC! =D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:45:46 AM PST
Advance Wars is one of my top strategy games in the last decade or so...so I have to agree.

XCOM is about to be ordered by this guy...the reviews already had it on deck...but everyones ringing endorsement here has pushed it to the plate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:49:16 AM PST
Anthony says:
the Advance Wars games kick ***. though they've gotten progressively easier since the first one. i also love the Fire Emblem series, made by the same developer who makes Advance Wars. i really wish they'd port the first 6 games in the series to the DS and translate them into english. Fire Emblem for the GBA is actually the 7th game in the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 6:50:19 AM PST
*laugh* I was playing ironman the other day, and had my team all updated with the first level armor... I was doing a terror missions against the chrysalids, and had one of my vets up on the front lines and had a choice to make... kill a zombie that was a few steps from me, or take out one of the chrysalids that was a few steps from a whole bunch of civilians. Well, I made the mistake of discounting those %$$#ing zombies... I knocked out the chrysalid and ended my turn... OMG, no one said that humans turned zombies inherited super-freaking-human strength... he walked up to my veteran and did a hulk impersonation on him... my poor soldier never stood a chance *laugh*

God that was depressing *laugh*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:05:08 AM PST
I have a serious addiction when it comes to Advance Wars... Like you have no idea... When a new game releases it doesn't turn off for a good month, like ever. I'll be in the car and if I hit a red light I'll picking up my DS which was sitting in the passenger's seat and trying to make it through a turn before the light hits green. Once I beat the campaign (S rankings across the board) I move onto the Advanced Campaign and playing matches against three computer players just to give myself a real challenge.

The world needs more Advance Wars damn it!

@ Emily_Sedai

I'm very much in the boat of screw the civilians because they are too dumb to run away from the things trying to kill them. In fact I look at them as my little agro pullers because they are just sitting ducks and makes for quick work when something goes in for the kill.

I do my best to keep everything away from my team and usually set up an overwatch net (three or four of my guys sitting on overwatch all covering each other) so the moment something comes in for a kill they get lit up like the night sky on the 4th of July.

Also I loved my sniper and how he got a free move if he killed something. I'd have him just wreck shop all by his lonesome without any issues.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:08:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:47:16 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 7:11:22 AM PST
I know the feeling...all too well.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Video Games forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions